Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

trait passing question
07-29-2013, 05:04 AM
trait passing question
I'm hoping someone can help me. some basic things I thought I knew don't seem right (at least by this example).

if a kitten has the shown trait of parent (in this case, the fur), that the hidden trait is the other parent's hidden. if the shown fur is a genesis fur, the hidden can't also be a genesis fur. please correct me if I'm wrong, which I seem to be.

my friend got this kitten: New Born Kitten

Fur: Genesis - Flame III
Eyes: Genesis Water (Shape: Curious | Pupil: Big)
Shade: Natural
Tail: Genesis
Ears: Genesis
Whiskers: Silver (Shape: Curious)
Size: Normal
?????????????????????????????
MOM: April
RFL - Century Of Hope - Lady
Fur: Genesis - Coco III
Eyes: Genesis Water (Shape: Curious | Pupil: Big)
Whiskers: Silver (Shape: Guitar)

DAD: Shadow
Fur: Genesis - Smokey III
Eyes: Crystal Sun (Shape: Curious | Pupil: Big)

this is dad:
? Shadow

? 71 days ? 5% ? 88% ?? 27% ?? 4%

Eyes: Crystal Sun (Shape: Curious | Pupil: Big)
Size: 60 cm (23.6 inch) - Bigger de Big
MOM: Sprinkles
KittyCatS! 2nd Birthday - Grape
Eyes: Genesis Meadow (Shape: Curious | Pupil: Big)

DAD: Tyler
Scrambled EggS! - Florentine
Fur: Genesis - Flame III
Eyes: Genesis Earth (Shape: Curious | Pupil: Big)

this is mom:
? April

? 64 days ? 5% ? 88% ?? 10% ?? 2%

Fur: RFL - Century Of Hope - Lady
Eyes: Crystal Dream (Shape: Mysterious | Pupil: Small)
Shade: Flair
Tail: Swanky
Ears: Curious
Whiskers: Grape Tipped (Shape: Plush)
Size: 45 cm (17.7 inch)
MOM: starter

DAD: starter

is dad's hidden Flame III? he's showing Smokey III, so how can that be? I think mom's (April) hidden is abyssinian blue, but I'm not sure. she hasn't had many kittens.

could someone help me understand? I'm obviously wrong some where along the line. any help would be appreciated.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2013, 08:00 AM
RE: trait passing question
Dad is NOT a starter, so he CAN hide Flame III, provided Flame III is recessive to Smokey III. I just checked the charts and this is currently unknown.

Mom's a starter, so can NOT hide Flame III. You posted the in-world local chat info for her. Check the Pedigree View page for her, it will show her actual dominant fur, instead of the painted-on RFL special-collection fur. If that is NOT Flame III, then she can NOT pass Flame III, ever, and it must have come from Dad.

If Mom does not SHOW Flame III on the Pedigree View page then this is sufficient proof to show that Smokey III is dominant to Flame III. In which case, take a screen shot of the box's Pedigree View page, showing all three cats, and send it in a Notecard to Liriel Garnet so she can add the proof the what is known about the Genesis III furs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi Smile

Shadow got the shown fur from mom and as it seems now the Genesis Flame III was Shadow's hidden fur.
So when Shadow was partnered with April he passed his hidden fur.
I'm not sure how much is uncovered yet when it comes to the dominance order of Genesis III but this proofs at least Genesis Flame III is recessive to Genesis Smokey III.
I hope this helped!

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom ยป

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

07-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Yes, what Kay and Tad said. Tongue Also, when you get, for example, mom's shown fur then you know that the hidden is from dad but it doesn't necessarily have to be his hidden trait. If dad's shown trait is more recessive than mom's shown trait it could be what's hiding on the kitten or it could be dad's hidden.

[Image: 7884046580_9ba4a7cbb5_n.jpg]

Marketplace Store

United Catteries Store
07-29-2013, 03:27 PM
ok, mom is Coco III. so genesis fur can hide under a genesis fur?
07-29-2013, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2013 03:36 PM by Curiouskitty Resident.)
Genesis fur can hide under genesis fur IF and only IF the cat is not a starter.

Flame III comes from the dad, that got it from his own dad (Flame III hidden behind Smokey III).

So whoever you mate with Shadow, he will always give you a genesis fur. (Flame III or Smokey III).
 Thanks given by: Sena Nansen
07-30-2013, 04:43 AM
thank you to all who answered!
07-30-2013, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2013 09:54 AM by Liriel Garnet.)
(07-29-2013 05:04 AM)Sena Nansen Wrote:  I'm hoping someone can help me. some basic things I thought I knew don't seem right (at least by this example).

if a kitten has the shown trait of parent (in this case, the fur), that the hidden trait is the other parent's hidden. if the shown fur is a genesis fur, the hidden can't also be a genesis fur. please correct me if I'm wrong, which I seem to be.

I think this is where your assumption went wrong, just FYI. The kitten's traits can come from either of the parents shown or hidden furs. It will get exactly one from mom and one from dad. Both can toss shown, both can toss hidden, or one can toss shown and the other hidden.

If the kitten has the shown trait from one parent, then the hidden trait will be from the other parent, but it can be either the shown or hidden of the second parent.

If you mate two starters together, you have a 1/4 chance of both tossing shown (in which case you'll have genesis hiding genesis), a 1/4 chance of both tossing hidden, and a 2/4 (or 1/2) chance of one parent tossing shown, the other hidden. So two starter's will produce double genesis in a particular slot on 25% of their boxes, on average.

Kitty Kollege Pawfessor, Kitty Kottage
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Is.../69/224/22
07-30-2013, 12:04 PM
um... how can Tad say that the dad "Shadow" is not a starter cat? Last I knew Smokey 3 was one of the starter cats. I am confused ????

Big Grin Kitty Cats Are Like Potato Chips, You Can Never Have Just One Big Grin
07-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Easy. Read the OP. He has parents.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)