Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

SPAM
06-17-2013, 01:53 PM
RE: SPAM
I think Google Docs to list your sales inventory is a great idea. People could browse what you've got and just IM you with what they want. When it comes to selling kittycats, I am supremely lazy, hense I rarely post pics, spam, blog or whatnot. But if I could figure out how to do a Google Doc..wouldn't be too much work really after you got it set up. Just adjust for what you've sold and pricing now and then. I'm sitting on 2500 boxes atm, and am somehow concinved I still need them all lol =op

And thank you for your kind words Dev, that is what I was hoping for..a group that wasn't non-stop of the same spam over and over, I've learned some good tecniques in this thread to better manage things and plan to just keep it small and private for now.

Nacht's Landing
ScratchN Shop
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Boudicca Amat
06-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Thank you Noc Heart I'm really glad you're keeping your group.

I'm not exactly sure how google docs works, but forums and groups are the best ways to get word out to people where your doc, so forth can be found.

Flicker is another good way to get your kitties noticed also, and to get your location out there. And what I love best about it is it's lazy. Blush

Devine Kitty Stuff MarketPlace
Devine Kitties at The Kat Shack
06-17-2013, 03:26 PM
(06-17-2013 03:06 PM)devilness chant Wrote:  Thank you Noc Heart I'm really glad you're keeping your group.

I'm not exactly sure how google docs works, but forums and groups are the best ways to get word out to people where your doc, so forth can be found.

Flicker is another good way to get your kitties noticed also, and to get your location out there. And what I love best about it is it's lazy. Blush

Google docs is quite easy to use actually - if you already have a gmail email address you can use google docs. You just go to docs.google.com where you're presented with your works(called my drive). There is a drop down button on the left where you can choose document, spreadsheet, form, etc... making the spreadsheet public is easy as well but all are set to private by default. I use google docs spreadsheets on an almost regular basis and am available to help anyone out with google docs if interested.

-Rycon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Call me old but I can't quite grok why I would want to use a slow, buggy, unfriendly web interface, and store my data on some untrusted computer network, not under my control, and with Gods-know how many security flaws, when I can do it faster, better, more securely, using the computer and software I already have.

On the other hand, watching our granddaughter go through having left ANOTHER system behind at a coffee shop and going through the panic of having to break in a new one ... oh, well, maybe there is a need for a service like Google Docs.
06-17-2013, 11:49 PM
(06-17-2013 03:35 PM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  Call me old but I can't quite grok why I would want to use a slow, buggy, unfriendly web interface, and store my data on some untrusted computer network, not under my control, and with Gods-know how many security flaws, when I can do it faster, better, more securely, using the computer and software I already have.

On the other hand, watching our granddaughter go through having left ANOTHER system behind at a coffee shop and going through the panic of having to break in a new one ... oh, well, maybe there is a need for a service like Google Docs.

I can totally see the use for google documents.

#1 it is easy to share a document with multiple people in real time. Either to edit or just to view.

#2 Google is a fairly well known company who has a fairly solid background so it is fairly trustworthy. Rather than having to have someone download documents from a website or such.

#3 Not everyone is techy and can create their own websites, blogs ect. And Google is very good at making things easier for people.

Without google documents I highly doubt we would have the charts Saga maintains that we all depend on. Just because you can't find a use for them doesn't mean many others are unable to find multiple uses for them. I use them for so many things as well as google calendars. Where I can share them with others when I need so we can all be on the same page.

Heart KittyCatS lover and LazyCats auctioneer. Heart
06-22-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't understand how Google Docs is different from any other kind of spam. Instead of saying "you have to come look at my shop and see what I have", you're saying "you have to come look at my spreadsheet and see what I have". It makes no change in how people spread the word about their merchandise so it makes no change in how people spam and how people react to spam. And it makes no improvement in how impossible it is to find cats with specific traits, which I'd think would be a big part of the point.
06-22-2013, 12:24 PM
(06-22-2013 12:17 PM)LibGwen Resident Wrote:  I don't understand how Google Docs is different from any other kind of spam. Instead of saying "you have to come look at my shop and see what I have", you're saying "you have to come look at my spreadsheet and see what I have". It makes no change in how people spread the word about their merchandise so it makes no change in how people spam and how people react to spam. And it makes no improvement in how impossible it is to find cats with specific traits, which I'd think would be a big part of the point.

G-Docs could be posted here in the appropriate section - Live and Box Sales. Or they can put a link to the doc in their Profiles or their stores if they have one.
No way can that be called spam.
There is no 'have to' involved
People would choose to look........or not.
06-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Exactly, the idea behind a google doc would be to have it available via your profile or a sign at your shop, forum post etc. Perhaps it could be added to the secondary market lists even.

As for finding a cat with specific traits, the best way I've found is word of mouth. Ask people that breed and ask them to ask their friends. I recently had a buyer IM me looking for something very specific. I didn't have it, but knew someone that I thought may have it so I sent them there and they found what they were looking for. Anyway you look at it, getting the cusotmer what they want is good business. You can always post in the Wanted thread as well.

What customers don't seem to want anymore is endless repetitive spam, ninja tp's, NC's dropped on them that seem like a personal note but turn out to be cat spam etc. If someone wants to hear about your sales or asks you to please let them know if you get a certain type of cat, that's different, that's a request for information. And I do that a lot. And I have NCs dropped on me and that's fine. But if your friends list is nothing more than a prospect list, I don't wanna be on it.

I have noticed recently things have calmed down a bit. I did mute a few people and it made a huge difference and got rid of a lot of frustration. I'm actually enjoying looking at the remaining ads I see.

Nacht's Landing
ScratchN Shop
06-25-2013, 04:50 AM
Have you noticed how when you open the Dominance charts they all seem to be there for you when you log back in each time? Once you create a doc this gets added to that "Collection" and depending on the privacy settings other people's have put on their list then theirs will get added too so you can get back to it every now and then to check what new things they have.

The main difference with group spam and google doc is that in a group spam I show you what I consider my stellar breeds (or at least that's what I do), I try to squeeze in the best cats I have to call your attention, but for example, maybe my Bengal Snow with Double Dip Flora eyes or my Chateau Grey & White with Caramel is not something that tickles your fancy.

On a google doc you can surf through what I have and I can keep it updated so my friends and costumers can always check back in a few days time and see what I have new. I can list all my collectibles for example (which are not displayed at my shop for the lack of prims). I think it's a passive way of spamming and I am finding it harder and harder to contrast it with group chat spam because they seem to serve different purposes. Group chat spam, in my humble opinion might be more useful for quick, flashing reminders of kitties up for auction, bidboards or an auctions about to start and they are reminding us of their line up or maybe a special event happening in your shop (raffles, hunts, anything) whilst a google doc list is a more "composed" way of advertising what you have available for sale.

I can easily see this as a good tool for private sales, for those breeders who "order" a kitty before it's even born. For those who are looking for something very specific. For those who want to surf through your stock and maybe find something they thought no one had (or even something they didn't know they "needed" Tongue this happens a little too often to me when I shop around the markets )

I am sure I would love to go through my breeder friend's google docs lists Big Grin

Now, if it wouldn't take me about a month to put it all together it would be fabulous! lol

Heart
07-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Sadly I had to turn off ALL notices for any groups that allow adds.

Why?

Some people spamming on the hour every hour, sometimes every 30 mins.

In fact, the ones who spam every hour I most likely wont be ever buying cats from.

People who have notices turned on can get them when they log in but spamming them every 30 mins is just plain bad and annoying.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)