Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

KittyCatS! Wiki (5.29.13 Still need a few furs! Looking for Collection cats pictures! Thank you EVERYONE! <3)
05-20-2013, 08:45 PM
RE: KittyCatS! Wiki
Every wiki has a talk page, every page on a wiki can be locked, everything can be locked down completely if needed. I just don't plan to do that, unless, it's needed. Things like history and roll backs really make it simple to revert damage, which I've already talked about when Tad addressed these same concerns.

If we ever have wiki pages that are designed for dominance orders of traits, I would be more than happy to assign rights to specific trusted people who can control those pages, and other users can use talk pages to discuss changes. It's really not that complicated.

Millions of people edit wikipedia, and they're tooting along just fine. We have 5 total people editing our wiki. Lets wait for something to go wrong before we start battening down the hatches. When it does, The Most Awesome Admin in the World, Ethereal Hurricane, will destroy the perpetrators, then click the revert changes link.

[Image: heart.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan
05-20-2013, 08:49 PM
I see a lot of the tail waging the dog.

I've waded through those comments Ethereal. Don't worry about them.

Pity the dogs, though .. it's gotta hurt being yanked around by their tails so much!
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan
05-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Sigh, now just to find a way to move all the images over to the new site -_-

05-21-2013, 12:08 PM
(05-20-2013 02:33 PM)Ethereal Hurricane Wrote:  I decided to just pay for hosting so i can get rid of these stupid ads, new hosting site will be http://wiki.kittycatsaddicts.net (also .com)

Setting everything up, should be at least functional in a few hours.

I just tried clicking on the link you posted and it comes up that it can't find the server. Is the page not up and running yet?

Big Grin Kitty Cats Are Like Potato Chips, You Can Never Have Just One Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
05-21-2013, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2013 12:28 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
(05-21-2013 12:08 PM)Tatiana Cheng Wrote:  I just tried clicking on the link you posted and it comes up that it can't find the server. Is the page not up and running yet?

I noticed this as well.
To transfer the Wiki to the webadress takes some construction.
In the mean time this Wiki adress will do Smile
http://kittycatsaddicts.wikia.com/wiki/K...ables_Wiki

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

05-21-2013, 03:11 PM
http://www.kittycatsaddicts.com/wiki/ should work just, but images aren't uploaded yet. Still trying to figure that out.

05-22-2013, 07:47 AM
(05-20-2013 08:45 PM)Ethereal Hurricane Wrote:  Millions of people edit wikipedia, and they're tooting along just fine. We have 5 total people editing our wiki. Lets wait for something to go wrong before we start battening down the hatches. When it does, The Most Awesome Admin in the World, Ethereal Hurricane, will destroy the perpetrators, then click the revert changes link.

Actually... there have been quite a number of "mistakes" of varying degrees with information on Wikipedia and as a result, they severely restricted their editing permissions in 2009. Wink Wink

Regardless, I was simply giving some advice based on experience, as I would like to see the project successful. Smile

I worry about people telling you to disregard feedback from others. After all, someone a ways back did use the phrase "community project", didn't they? Perhaps they meant only select members of the community?

Anyway, I'll tell you about an embarrassing nightmare of an experience I had with a wiki last year, but next time I see you in-world (so as not to upset the more sensitive folks here Smile ) and if you find it useless or irrelevant you can jump on my head and make all the squeaky sounds you like... Or maybe you can file away my own mistakes for future reference Heart

Otherwise, I guess I will keep my advice and feedback on this project to myself and stay out of this thread LOL Smile

SagaKitty News and Updates Blog:
http://sagakitty.blogspot.ca/
Got Proofs? =^^=
Send full-perm textures/NCs/urls to SagaKitty in SL or email SagaKittySL@gmail.com
05-22-2013, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2013 09:33 AM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
(05-22-2013 07:47 AM)Wendi Lavendel Wrote:  ... someone a ways back did use the phrase "community project", didn't they? Perhaps they meant only select members of the community? ...

Ah yes, that was me calling it a community project and that is a Wiki indeed in my opinion.
The migration from the Wikia domain to this website is done by a few after which it is ofcourse a normal editable Wiki again and with that a community project from those who like to contribute.

P.S. Ofcourse I didn't mean a select number of community members with this: Obvious to me but I clearly need to confirm this.

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

05-22-2013, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2013 02:29 PM by Tad Carlucci.)
Open to "anyone" is obviously a bad idea. Unless we define "anyone" to be "someone with an interest in KittyCatS".

Personally, I'd have four levels of trust, from least, to most ...

* Anonymous users. Read-only access to Wiki pages, read-only access for forum posts.
* Has an account on the Wiki site. Read-only access to Wiki pages, can post in forums.
* Has authoring rights. Can create and edit Wiki pages, can post in forums.
* Has administrative rights. Can grant and revoke authoring rights.

I'd admit Very Few people to the last group. Granting authoring rights would simply require a request sent to an admin, and the admin verifying that the request is from someone who has an actual interest in KittyCatS. Anyone could create an account. Those who don't, get very limited access.

If it were my site, I'd NOT even be running it on a server site like Wikia. I'd get a dedicated machine to which I had root access and properly secure the server as well as set up a regular backup schedule. As the root user, I'd also be the only one who could assign/revoke admin rights .. which is a fifth level of trust, restricted to me, alone. But, then, I'm not just a geek, I'm a very paranoid geek when it comes to proper management of Internet services. Of course, it's not really paranoia when you know they really are out to get you.
05-22-2013, 05:00 PM
As I finally moved everything over to the new site, I'll be adding user restrictions soon. What Tad posted is close to what I plan to implement. Obviously I'm not planning to let unregistered users edit anything. We want to see who changed something.

For the record, I do have full control of the site.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)