Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Breeding question
05-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Breeding question
Hi I'm breeding a Abyssinian black silver and a American shorthair red and white from the same family is there any chance that I will get a Black Russian kitten out of this pairing there is black Russian in the family as the grandmother on one side was black Russian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: Breeding question
If the Russian Black grandparent is on the Abyssinian Black Silver side, you have no chance whatsoever to ever obtain Russian Black unless the Red and White Tabby happens to carry it.

If the Red and White Tabby has a Russian Black grandparent, there is about a 1 in 8 chance the Red and White Tabby actually carries the Russian Black gene. So, if you win the 1 in 8 odds, you should get Russian Black about half the time. Net odds, for all possible cases, with an infinite number of pairs like this, is about 1 in 16.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2013, 06:15 AM
(05-06-2013 10:09 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  If the Russian Black grandparent is on the Abyssinian Black Silver side, you have no chance whatsoever to ever obtain Russian Black unless the Red and White Tabby happens to carry it.

If the Red and White Tabby has a Russian Black grandparent, there is about a 1 in 8 chance the Red and White Tabby actually carries the Russian Black gene. So, if you win the 1 in 8 odds, you should get Russian Black about half the time. Net odds, for all possible cases, with an infinite number of pairs like this, is about 1 in 16.
Thank you the red and white tabby's grandmother was russian black so i will keep breeding them anyway and see what happens I've got about 90 days breeding left and if it don't happen I'll just buy one lol i want a black cat. Thanks again for your help.
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Just remember, it's 50/50 that success even possible. If you put the Tabby (which hides Russian Black or better) with the Aby:

- Half the offspring should be Red and White Tabby.

- If you see anything other than Red and White Tabby: STOP!
-- If you get Russian Black, there you go.
-- If you get Aby Black Silver, JOY! The Red and White hides Aby Black Silver, or better)
-- Otherwise, you'll get something more recessive than Russian Black, and more dominant than Aby Black Silver.

No other results are possible.

Proceeding once you get something other than Red and While Tabby is a waste of time (unless you like what you got and want to try for another, or want to try again to see if you can get more traits).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)