Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Closed 
What's up with the web server?
01-18-2013, 08:19 AM
RE: What's up with the web server?
(01-18-2013 03:52 AM)Charmayne Brentley Wrote:  He confuses me also. Kayleigh. I nod and say, ok. But I'm clueless. I think he makes lots of pretty charts to make us think the cats are up to something. I am sure they are up there in the cattery playing and up to all kinds of mischief. Oh, wait that's the menagerie. Me smooths my blonde streaked whiskers and shuffled back to bed.

LOL Exclamation

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom ยป

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Find all posts by this user
01-18-2013, 09:00 AM
(01-18-2013 03:50 AM)Serena Stroikavskoi Wrote:  I still differ because php, mysql, l2l is all different scripting languages, they still have to interpret and communicate to each other. That's why it's a server side script. It functions directly on the server much like a program. We all know how we complain about those too. When the translator is broke or sick, it slows response time. When you take that into play and the bandwidth between say your cable company and mine along with DNS you have slower response time. Yes the they are on linden lab servers hosted by someone else but the communication between scripting still has to talk to each other in-world as well as the cattery.

When the translator is sick we all see the effect.

Serena,
LSL only works in-world. php and MySQL work OUTSIDE of SL. Tad is correct. This website has absolutely *nothing* to do with LSL and the statistics that Tad was showing are for the slow response of the website are not affected by anything our cats do or don't do in-world.

When your cats are in cattery, they don't even *exist* in-world, so they don't rely on LSL. All calculations, etc. are done by the software backing the cattery, which one assumes is php and any code-behind method used. ( I tend to work in MS environs, so I'm not 100 percent sure that php uses any hidden code-behind as is possible with aspx, etc., but if it does, that is where the work will be done. ).

Tad,
I have noticed that once the pedigree is retrieved, that you can apply/change filters *very* quickly, which makes me presume the SQL for the page retrieves the whole dataset and then filters are applied 'on the fly' as the actual page display is built. This makes for slow initial load but quick updates, but it *also* uses a lot of extra storage to hold the whole dataset. This may be part of the performance issues you're seeing.

Kitty Kollege Pawfessor, Kitty Kottage
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Is.../69/224/22
01-18-2013, 09:36 AM
The PHP script does most of the work of pre-sorting. Basically, every cat you see on the page actually appears at least twice. Once in the HTML, and again in the Javascript. It's possible for the page to render sufficiently that you can click the controls which kick off the Javascript before the entire HTML has been received. That means it's possible for the Javascript to attempt to modify screen elements which don't exist, yet. When that occurs, the Javascript fails (not completely silently: you can see the failure on the browser's Error Console). That can result in inconsistent results, such as missing cats.

For this reason, it's best to consider the Pedigree and Cattery web pages "fragile". Don't do anything with them until them until the page has completely downloaded and is completely rendered on your screen. In Firefox, that means waiting until the spinner stops spinning. Of course, that can take quite some time .. which is exactly what I'm talking about .. that "quite some time" can vary from a few seconds to a few minutes, and the cause for that is somewhere inside the processing for the page's PHP script.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Hiya guys Smile

Discussions like this belong in our Feedback forums, not General Discussion, so I will be moving it there. Also, technical problems like this should probably be sent to us via ticket so we can make sure it is seen by our scripter & our web admin since they don't always check the forums.

I'm going to go ahead and move this thread and close it. If anyone else has further info they'd like to share with our team about this or other website issues, please submit the info via the ticket system.

Thank you! Smile
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)