Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Abilty to "Make Public" pedigree link from Cat Menu
01-10-2013, 08:35 AM
RE: Abilty to "Make Public" pedigree link from Cat Menu
(01-10-2013 06:07 AM)zivaah Resident Wrote:  the ID is not only used for the pedigree script . but also as a way to identify you as the owner of the cat. [...] i find the pedigree giver is a loophole to this and i still think its a way to prevent miss use of the cat ID

Can you cite an example on how someone could misuse of a cat's ID?
I don't know any possible way to do this so if you know one I would appreciate being put up to date.

I believe KittyCats products have evolved with time and thanks to the fact that they listen to feedback from users. The fact that a feature wasn't available in the beginning doesn't mean is potentially dangerous, on the other hand, I believe and trust in how KittyCats manages privacy issues and i trust they would never implement a feature that could lead to be misused.

G??????
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2013, 09:10 AM
you are taking what i am saying way out of context because i did not say anything about kittycats not being able to manage privacy issues and you self say at the end that kittycats would never implement a feature that could lead to misuse. isn't this why the pedigree is not available for public viewing?
even when i do not see a reason to be repeating what i said from start i will just give you an idea copybotting of products. because you don't see this possibility doesn't mean it cant be done. and again i am not saying it will be done.
so yeah i will agree to disagree because this started somewhere and kind of going somewhere else.

01-10-2013, 09:34 AM
(01-10-2013 09:10 AM)zivaah Resident Wrote:  you are taking what i am saying way out of context because i did not say anything about kittycats not being able to manage privacy issues and you self say at the end that kittycats would never implement a feature that could lead to misuse. isn't this why the pedigree is not available for public viewing?
even when i do not see a reason to be repeating what i said from start i will just give you an idea copyboting of products. because you don't see this possibility doesn't mean it cant be done. and again i am not saying it will be done.
so yeah i will agree to disagree because this started somewhere and kind of going somewhere else.

I believe I haven't deviated from the reason of this post, you posted a reason for not being completely sure this idea was good by making a statement you believe can be an issue, and I confessed myself ignorant of it and I asked you to explain a bit more about it. This is the solely reason why I asked.

I did not mean to point at anything or pick on anything you said. My remark about KittyCats didn't intend to say you suggested the opposite, all I tried to say is that I trust they extinguish all the possibilities during the testing process of the features before they they offer them to us.

I don't know anything about copyboting so I cannot offer my views on this and from my ignorant point of view I cannot see how the KittyCats ID, which is public and shared every time you click on a cat can make this illegal practice easier, hence why I asked you to explain it to me.

This is a forum and we discuss ideas and share our experiences, I'm sorry if at any moment you felt I mislead the course of the topic, but i strongly believe I didn't.

Have a nice day Smile

G??????
 Thanks given by: Bea Shamrock
01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I think Giuliana's confusion as well as my own lies in how the suggested change relates to the kitty id number. As mentioned in the last post, I believe (I'm not in world to verify) when you click on any cat you don't own the information that pops up in local chat already displays the id number. I don't think the suggested change would give any information that would make it possible to copy bot or try to claim that a cat is yours when it is not.

[Image: 7884046580_9ba4a7cbb5_n.jpg]

Marketplace Store

United Catteries Store
01-10-2013, 01:09 PM
The cat's ID is also shown when anyone clicks the cat, I see no problem with making it an option to set the pedigree to public as it would just expand what is already available to show grandparents as well. As it is now..if you have a cat in-world in SL I could click that cat and see it's info, including it's uuid in local chat. I think this would be a great idea to have as a menu option.

Nacht's Landing
ScratchN Shop
01-10-2013, 04:35 PM
The cat's ID indeed comes up when you click it as things are now, and I'd love to get access to the pedigrees via a menu button as Adrienne suggests.

The one thing I can think of with pedigrees made public like that, trying to understand why Zivaah isn't so convinced it's a good idea, is that perhaps when sharing pedigrees as screen captures these may have been altered (for example to change the name of the owner of one or more cats in that pedigree). It shouldn't be a serious problem if we are aware of it and rely solely on information coming from clicking the cat directly, however. When we post pedigrees in the forum it's to show something in the pedigree rather than prove ownership; when we buy kitties we should be able to see the kitty or box and be able to click on them directly.

I have no idea about copybotting techniques so I can't imagine any other misuses of a pedigree from menu feature, I'm afraid.

But I think it's positive to have someone thinking of potential issues that may arise from a new feature.

Bea Shamrock, Kitty carer and breeder

"There are no
ordinary cats"
(Colette)
01-10-2013, 05:08 PM
As I wrote in a previous post, I love this idea.

Ideally, I also think owner names should be removed from the pedigrees, but I know others disagree with me - but the main thing for me is, in any case, to get the pedigree access made public.
I REALLY wish people could just paste their cats' pedigree-link to me and then it would work! -As it is now, pedigrees are unusable for any form of documentation at all. EVERYTHING Has to be copy/pasted to notecards and/or screenshotted and saved on flickr or other online services and then uploaded. Just soooo tedious!

I can't think of any way to abuse this feature - we already have access to thousands of cats' pedigrees on markets etc., and I don't think anyone "abused" that yet. Only form of abuse I can think of is faking info for my charts.... which would actually get much harder when I could look at the page myself instead of relying on notecards & screenshots.

Saga's Google Docs - Click here

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)