Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

New Releases Hurting the Breeders
12-01-2012, 09:40 AM
New Releases Hurting the Breeders
Just need to get this off my chest.... I wish people would not drop the current traits the minute a new one comes out (which seems to be about every other month) we spend lots of time and lindens breeding to make Beautiful Kittehs only to be upstaged by a new eye or fur. It is very frustrating when you take a cat to auction and it No Sales just because the traits are from the last cycle , I used to LOVE going to auctions and putting new Kittehs out at the store but that Joy is slowly fading because there is NO LOVE shown to the oldies but goodies. I just ask that you remember there is more out there then the Balis and Foxies.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: dakillakm Resident , Kiana Lexenstar , Karizmah Avro , Khea Karas , Dario Maesar , Sanura Snowpaw , Sara Franco , Vampiva Belfire , Mandred Blackadder , Sophia Jameson , penfold83 Resident
12-01-2012, 11:31 AM
RE: New Releases Hurting the Breeders
I will agree with you in general but will say that some auctions and their audience show more love for the oldies but goodies, so at least there is that. I was trying to think of some sort of solution like limiting how many "new" traits could be in an auction or keeping them only to the special panels or something but I don't think any of those will work. I guess it's just a matter of buyers remembering even the latest and greatest will be old hat soon too if we don't show the love for all the nice traited kitties!

[Image: 7884046580_9ba4a7cbb5_n.jpg]

Marketplace Store

United Catteries Store
 Thanks given by: Bea Shamrock , Sara Franco , Vampiva Belfire , Karizmah Avro
12-01-2012, 11:47 AM
(12-01-2012 09:40 AM)Olympia Rehula Wrote:  Just need to get this off my chest.... I wish people would not drop the current traits the minute a new one comes out (which seems to be about every other month) we spend lots of time and lindens breeding to make Beautiful Kittehs only to be upstaged by a new eye or fur. It is very frustrating when you take a cat to auction and it No Sales just because the traits are from the last cycle , I used to LOVE going to auctions and putting new Kittehs out at the store but that Joy is slowly fading because there is NO LOVE shown to the oldies but goodies. I just ask that you remember there is more out there then the Balis and Foxies.

i agree Smile

+1
GK
 Thanks given by: Karizmah Avro
12-01-2012, 12:27 PM
I agree w/ u Oly! I love all traits! Some of the older are just as hard if not harder to breed into some furs as the newer ones...I think each cat is unique and lovely...

HeartKiana Lexenstar...Breeder, Auctioneer, and KittyCats Lover!Heart
 Thanks given by: Karizmah Avro , Sara Franco , Vampiva Belfire
12-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Oly! Yayaya! I agree! I love all the new traits, and they are exciting to breed, and to sell, but I do think the community needs to remember that the older traits are what got us here. I myself, and several breeders I respect, will take a new fur or trait and work it all the way out in a good combo before selling it. This practice is not one that makes money, but kittycats is a hobby meant to be exciting and fun, and its successful because it is all those things. I think we as a community have to realize we set the standards in the secondary market, not Kittycats. Kittycats makes us these wonderful traits and furs as tools to use as we will, so the responsibility is ours to use them effectively and responsibly. In summary, we as a community have created this trend of "grabbing the quick buck" with the immediate sell of new, and it is solely our responsibility to correct the issue collectively.
 Thanks given by: Sara Franco
12-01-2012, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 01:18 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
I agree we as a community make or break the market.
Either way and what ever happens with the market I will not stop breeding even of I make no dime at all.
So I will be a long term stalker for you auctioneers Smile
Indeed there is not much KC can do about how we deal with traits and the market.
And I think when we see KittyCatS mainly as a hobby we enjoy our journey best as well.
Otherwise we have to rush and hunt so hard and push the grap out of our Kitties to make every L$ back.

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Thanks given by: Sara Franco , Vampiva Belfire , Karizmah Avro
12-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I agree with you, too. Yet the market issue was there always and more or less with every breedable. The thing is what is the communitiy like? Do the people stop breeding the cat because it doesn't sell...? Okay, I noticed here and there some people stop doing it... but the majority of people stays and breeds them because they breed them to their own joy. I also don't plan on stop breeding even if I don't make a single linden with my cats. I breed them the way they are because I like their furs and I breed a couple of really old furs such as Red Tabby and Bengal Sorell for example or Burmese Platinum... I will not join the fire sale gang but sell for the price I see fit. If someone wants a breed as considerately made as mine, they'll not find it as fire sale anyway. *FG* I think what we all need to do is remember that we breed for ourself not for the market. Only then, people will enjoy their breeding and not mind not selling even one. Do an SL-Job and pay the cats that way. I do it that way... and If I don't earn enough, I upload money. It is the only hobby I have... others might smoke and spent a fortune that way or they do sky diving or fishing or whatever... I have my SL game and my SL kitties I spent my money here... and just to point that out... for me, KC new traits are adding to the tools list... I get a couple of new traits on hand to make new combinations... personally there's nothing wrong with new traits... the problem is not the new traits but the way people deal with the kitties in general. For those that breed just for money, new traits will be just like $_$ They would buy a cat for much money to make money with it....I don't see where this can make you happy? I mean, you can fail and pay a lot of linden and short after you did, the price drops and then? If my motivation was buying it to make money, I'd be completely pissed when the price drops and I just spent a week ago a fortune on it.

For those that breed for the heck of it... for their own... for a great opportunity it will be like you gave a couple of new colors to a painters palette... they'll be painting a new picture with it... Smile These type of people are willing to pay a high amount of money on the perfect cat that just fits in their own cattery... this is timeless... and applies to kitties that must not neededly have new traits on them. They never regret having spent a fortune on their Burmese Champagne kitty but be boasting about it's perfect traits and background and how that made their cattery perfect even more.

The community is always both of it... people that go like *katching* "money..." and people that go like "hey vampire ears, if I add those to my Russian Black with Porcelain shade, it will be epic". We can not change that. But there are enough people that breed since very long time and with their own heart set to the furs they love. I hope KC will not loose those people... Smile

My own idea to make people maybe be able to see furs with new eyes would be... Well, I think sometimes about MTV's event called "All eyes on...." KC could make something like that... like ALL eyes on a breed, each month or so a new one... KC could post like "ALL EYES ON BURMESE BLUE" and everyone who breeds the fur, gets to turn in pictures and trait combinations they have in their breeding stock...show off their breeds. It could make make other people want again... I saw someone breed Burmese Blue with Glitter and Rainbow, they made me want to breed exactly that because it looked so wonderful...

So you people out there, share the pictures of your epic breeds... it gives people ideas what they want themselves and keeps our community alife. Smile

P.S: I say what I think, but it is not meant to hurt anyone in particular. It is just my five cents to this topic Smile It moves me a lot too.
 Thanks given by: Serena Stroikavskoi , Bea Shamrock , Sara Franco , Vampiva Belfire , Dimpz Morane , Karizmah Avro
12-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Dario, I thin well said. The secondary market is about what people make of it. Period. No one else is responsible for going crazy and buying up an epic amount of for a better phrase of starter kitties, then not having the lindens to pay for the kibble and such. My opinion varies in that KittyCatS should take a look of the environment they created with releasing so many without the option to choose what kind/color you can get. For the first time we got the choice for boy/girl, why not go all the way and let us choose which color. That is what creates collector cats down the road. Everyone would have probably opted for a bi-color one and the lovely color no one wanted would be really valuable down the road, simply as there would be less on the market. Even the option to birth a special kitty from those collectors during the release period, like the first kitten when you pair certain ones. It should be limited to a few collects kitties or give the option to purchase what you want with so many. I think it was there where so many that people went crazy over all the colors options and with being able to pick the gender all of a sudden had to many.

I too do this as a hobby that I love, they are so cute and I enjoy them. If I sell kitties for what I price them at fine, if not thats fine as well. I'm not and never will sell my kitties for a huge amount though. That prevents and deters someone new to KittyCatS the opportunity to experience what this breedable is capable of and the joy of pairing a nicely traited kitty to a starter and watching those traits pop out.

Like you this is my two cents and I'm sticking to it, but I think it is a topic that should be addressed.

"You're just jealous because the kitties only talk to me."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I know this is a bit off-topic for this thread: forgive me. In my most recent posting I spoke about the size of the user base. While doing that, I noticed something interesting.

There seemed to be an abnormally large number of people whose last-visit date was around August of this year.

This is what we call "anecdotal evidence" because it's based upon impressions. But it caused me to wonder, is so, WHY?

Charm and I kicked the idea around and I've come to two observations. First, that's the height of the "summer doldrums" where we don't have many, if any, special collections. Second, that's about 120 days after the last big special collection came out.

While I have no intention of an in-depth analysis to see if there is some relationship between the timing of special collections, subsequent malaise and people leaving, I am very confident from my research into various breedable products that such a relationship exits.

Something else I noticed was a seemingly larger-than-average number of people still playing, today, started playing around Yule and the New Year.

So, I have two suggestions for the KittyCatS management team to seriously consider:

1) Your best marketing success comes with the Yule and New Year seasons. You should make a special effort to entice new players at that time.

2) Your timing of releases, typically Special Collections, an the size of those releases have a strong effect upon the number of players and how long they stay playing. You should strive to have releases quarterly. Specifically, you should look to a Special Collection in the late-June/early-July time-frame. [Frankly, I don't remember if you even have one about then; if you do, perhaps it's too small?] This will re-enliven the player-base, retaining some players you're currently losing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2012, 11:16 PM
(12-01-2012 08:25 PM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  2) Your timing of releases, typically Special Collections, an the size of those releases have a strong effect upon the number of players and how long they stay playing. You should strive to have releases quarterly. Specifically, you should look to a Special Collection in the late-June/early-July time-frame. [Frankly, I don't remember if you even have one about then; if you do, perhaps it's too small?] This will re-enliven the player-base, retaining some players you're currently losing.

We had RFL around July this year and last year.
The Steampunk collection and Seasons of Hope last year.
I think your observation of the inactive members are very interesting to say the least.

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)