Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Newbie Q
11-15-2012, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2012 06:32 PM by CordeliaSloan Resident.)
Newbie Q
Ok, so I got the two kitties from the halloween hunt, so I've been posting Q that I don't find answers to in the manual. Answers might be there, but my dufus self doesn't always see them, lol.

The two kitties we got in the starter were just reg kitties no special traits of whichever - I'm assuming if I breed those two together then I'll likely get more babies of the same?
I guess I'm asking, if I were to breed is it worth it to breed the starters? or should I look for a couple of kitties with newer traits and go from there ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2012, 07:04 PM
RE: Newbie Q
Well, you could TRY breeding the starters together but most likely, as you said, you will get more of the same. Most people recommend breeding starter kitties with a combination of well traited (i.e. all 9 traits are non-genesis) and retired traits (Furs like Bengal Snow). The reason for breeding with a 9T is that you have a better chance of finding out what your starter is hiding in any of the 9 possible areas. The reason for breeding with retired traits is that these traits will NOT be hiding on your starter kitties so you will know that if you breed a Bengal Snow with your starter and you get a Bengal Snow kitten, the starter is hiding something more recessive than Bengal Snow. If you haven't found Saga's breeding charts yet those will be super duper helpful and will also point you towards which traits are retired and how recessive/dominant certain traits are, etc. She also has a really great document there all about breeding and all the basics to get you started! http://kittycats.biz/forum/showthread.php?tid=2351 You can access the charts and documents by going to that thread. Good luck and have fun!

[Image: 7884046580_9ba4a7cbb5_n.jpg]

Marketplace Store

United Catteries Store
 Thanks given by: CordeliaSloan Resident
11-15-2012, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2012 07:10 PM by Sanura Snowpaw.)
Welcome to KittyCatS! Typically it is suggested to bred starters to another fur, so you can be sure to find out what your starter kitteh is hiding.

Heart KittyCatS lover and LazyCats auctioneer. Heart
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: CordeliaSloan Resident
11-15-2012, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2012 09:23 PM by CordeliaSloan Resident.)
(11-15-2012 07:04 PM)dakillakm Resident Wrote:  Well, you could TRY breeding the starters together but most likely, as you said, you will get more of the same. Most people recommend breeding starter kitties with a combination of well traited (i.e. all 9 traits are non-genesis) and retired traits (Furs like Bengal Snow). The reason for breeding with a 9T is that you have a better chance of finding out what your starter is hiding in any of the 9 possible areas. The reason for breeding with retired traits is that these traits will NOT be hiding on your starter kitties so you will know that if you breed a Bengal Snow with your starter and you get a Bengal Snow kitten, the starter is hiding something more recessive than Bengal Snow. If you haven't found Saga's breeding charts yet those will be super duper helpful and will also point you towards which traits are retired and how recessive/dominant certain traits are, etc. She also has a really great document there all about breeding and all the basics to get you started! http://kittycats.biz/forum/showthread.php?tid=2351 You can access the charts and documents by going to that thread. Good luck and have fun!

lots of info! TYSM for the detailed feedback! So, if the babies came back snow Bengal then most likely I would want to go with a newer coat then?

(11-15-2012 07:10 PM)Sanura Snowpaw Wrote:  Welcome to KittyCatS! Typically it is suggested to bred starters to another fur, so you can be sure to find out what your starter kitteh is hiding.

TY! OK well I need to find me a ouple new kitties then ... hmmm what am I doing? I said I was opening the pack just to have a couple kitties to hang around the house LMAO.
11-15-2012, 09:38 PM
(11-15-2012 09:21 PM)CordeliaSloan Resident Wrote:  lots of info! TYSM for the detailed feedback! So, if the babies came back snow Bengal then most likely I would want to go with a newer coat then?

It will not hide perse a brand new fur but for sure a more recessive fur than the Bengal Snow it is the former most recessive which is retired from the current starters so if you get a Bengal Snow you know for a fact you have something more recessive hidden which might be new ofcourse.

Welcome to KittyCatS I hope you will enjoy breeding just as much as we do Smile

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom ยป

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

11-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Yes, Kay makes a good point. The furs that are the most recessive are not necessarily the newest. If you got, for example, the Bengal Snow then you would know only that it is something more recessive than that fur. But with starters there is always the chance that you could be the one to discover something new and exciting! Good luck and feel free to ask here, or in the group chat, with any questions you have! I still consider myself a new breeder as well, but with all the helpful advice on the forums, documents, groups, and classes, you'll feel like an old hand soon too! Tongue

Marketplace Store

United Catteries Store
11-16-2012, 12:30 AM
(11-15-2012 10:36 PM)dakillakm Resident Wrote:  Yes, Kay makes a good point. The furs that are the most recessive are not necessarily the newest. If you got, for example, the Bengal Snow then you would know only that it is something more recessive than that fur. But with starters there is always the chance that you could be the one to discover something new and exciting! Good luck and feel free to ask here, or in the group chat, with any questions you have! I still consider myself a new breeder as well, but with all the helpful advice on the forums, documents, groups, and classes, you'll feel like an old hand soon too! Tongue

TY you are all very generous!
11-16-2012, 01:47 AM
i just went ahead and set the two breeders to breed . LOL one of them said OMG arranged partnership, are we in the middle ages?- haha that's cute.
11-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Update - I set the milk out, but they haven't drank any. Does their happiness have to be at 75% to drink too?
11-16-2012, 03:35 PM
If they are kittens that you just opened they won't drink it yet, they will only start drinking it after they turn 7 days old, i.e. when they start gaining love

Marketplace Store

United Catteries Store

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)