Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Fun with Breeding "Advice", "Tips", Tricks and Superstitions :)
09-24-2012, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2012 02:31 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
RE: Fun with Breeding Advice, Tips, and Tricks
If I speak for myself the fact I think the strong words used to attack Sara's good willing contribution, no claim of truth but just out of curiousity, gives the unwanted effect people might fear to share their thoughts.
I strongly feel people should feel the freedom to verbalize what ever their opinion is to debate about this and share what they experience as long as they don't hurt anybody.
Not to long ago we didn't know anything about genes and odds we had to figure that out and this was a nice surprising journey and "game" element for most which lead us to know more and maybe not even everything today because some theories have been confirmed by the KittyCatS team.
They were designed though for us to figure out as part of the product experience and excitement.
We should not forget there are a lot of newer and older people who are still wondering and trying to figure things out and they are customers of KittyCatS as well and they have just as much right to experience this journey in a free way.
It is very unkind I think to moralize everyone with an other opinion or experience with the cats.
It gives a very unwanted atmosphere.
Please allow people to make mistakes in your eyes or let people figure things out in their own way and time and allow them to have questions and please stop the lectures but just try to be one of us.

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Devilness Chant , Sara Franco , AmoreJade Cyberstar
09-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Hiya guys! Smile

So I've read both threads that were started about the topic of "breeding tips and tricks". It looks like the other one has taken a path that's a bit more on the technical aspects (the math, scripting, inner workings, etc.) and this one was started with the intention of keeping it lighthearted and funny. Like wearing lucky pants, or keeping happiness high, etc.

I think it would be a good idea to keep the technical jargon in the other thread, just so we're not duplicating conversations or confusing people. I'm also going to change the titles of both threads to make it easier to separate the two. Smile

Please remember to be respectful to one another, and keep it positive! I encourage you guys to find constructive ways of expressing differing opinions, rather than denigrating, belittling or condescending one another. No one likes that!

Oh and for my "helpful tip"...I get a lot of customers that complain their cats are not breeding. No matter how I try to explain that there's nothing I can do to force them to breed, and that it just takes patience, there's always doubt and a customer will look to me pleadingly to make their cats breed. So I do things like put the cats in and out of Pose mode, Low Prim states, reset Home, move them away from Home and have them Jump back, etc. Just the action of looking like I am doing SOMETHING I think is reassuring to an anxious customer. Smile Thank goodness our cats have great dispositions or they might be mad at me for messing with their menus while they're trying to get it on! Wink

There's a sucker born every minute, and the stray cats know where we all live!
 Thanks given by: Devilness Chant , Sara Franco , Bea Shamrock , AmoreJade Cyberstar
09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
(09-24-2012 03:10 PM)Kitten Longmeadow Wrote:  Hiya guys! Smile

Oh and for my "helpful tip"...I get a lot of customers that complain their cats are not breeding. No matter how I try to explain that there's nothing I can do to force them to breed, and that it just takes patience, there's always doubt and a customer will look to me pleadingly to make their cats breed. So I do things like put the cats in and out of Pose mode, Low Prim states, reset Home, move them away from Home and have them Jump back, etc. Just the action of looking like I am doing SOMETHING I think is reassuring to an anxious customer. Smile Thank goodness our cats have great dispositions or they might be mad at me for messing with their menus while they're trying to get it on! Wink

There's always the pop cycle stick and tape for those uncooperative times. Smile rofl

Devine Kitty Stuff MarketPlace
Devine Kitties at The Kat Shack
 Thanks given by: dakillakm Resident
09-24-2012, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2012 04:19 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
RE: Fun with Breeding "Advice", "Tips", Tricks and Superstitions :)
I will try my happy pants today Smile
(09-24-2012 03:10 PM)Kitten Longmeadow Wrote:  Oh and for my "helpful tip"...I get a lot of customers that complain their cats are not breeding. No matter how I try to explain that there's nothing I can do to force them to breed, and that it just takes patience, there's always doubt and a customer will look to me pleadingly to make their cats breed. So I do things like put the cats in and out of Pose mode, Low Prim states, reset Home, move them away from Home and have them Jump back, etc. Just the action of looking like I am doing SOMETHING I think is reassuring to an anxious customer. Smile Thank goodness our cats have great dispositions or they might be mad at me for messing with their menus while they're trying to get it on! Wink

LOL so that is what you are doing when I think you try to help me Smile

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Thanks given by: Devilness Chant
09-24-2012, 05:48 PM
(09-24-2012 01:18 PM)Tatiana Cheng Wrote:  
(09-24-2012 06:42 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  I can see the idea of "tip and tricks" is not to aid new people, it's to sew false and misleading information.

I hope that anyone looking for actual tips bears in mind that such comments are based upon wild flights of fancy and should not be taken seriously.

I too believe you were out of line in this post. we're just trying to have fun and so far i have seen nothing that is mis-leading in any way. To those who come across this thread I want to assure you that we are not trying to do anything underhanded or misleading. We all are still learning as the KittyCats team comes up with new stuff for us to discover.

I think Kitten was very appropriate in dealing with this, and I'm only adding my opinion after her post because I read most responses just now, not with the intention of continuing the issue.

I think perhaps Tad's choice of words wasn't the happiest one, but I have to say I agree with him in some respects. I don't think the idea/intention was to be misleading or to spread false information, but I can see how certain statements about randomness and patterns could lead to the development of myths which could potentially be taken as true (especially by new breeders) and that would harm the development of breeding skills. I don't think anyone posting wants that, but I think it was going in that direction unintentionally.

Bea Shamrock, Kitty carer and breeder

"There are no
ordinary cats"
(Colette)
09-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Quite honestly i fail to see what is wrong with Sara suggesting that coding could be forced sometimes as even if it was it would'nt favorise one breeder over another, and she was only stating a possibility. Also the heated discussions on whether pure randomness can actually exist have been going on for centuries without reaching a conclusion. And as for what can happen in computer programming also, a thing to remember is that this technological application (amongst others) issues from a science which no one even really understands, which is quantum mechanics which itself can only be expressed in mathematical language.

As for "sewing false and misleading information " quite honestly i doubt very much that the Lucky Pants theory would be taken seriously by anyone reading it. Big Grin
Also the implication that Dev, the OP, had any intention of trying to mislead anyone by creating the thread is just plain ludicrous.
 Thanks given by: Sara Franco , Devilness Chant , Saxoni Fenstalker
09-25-2012, 02:42 AM
I do not know whose side I am taking now, but I know is is a lot of superstition among the breeders, and as long as people mark it as their personal opinion or findings, it is perfectly alright to share. But I also know there is a kind of breeding pattern planted in a cat, like how often and when the hidden traits are passed on. I had one cat who gave her recessive eyes in 11 out of 12 cases and the other way round. So there is a bit more to breeding out than just Mendel and 25% step chances*.
And one more thing, whatever theory is communicated in this forum, there are some users reading and sharing their thoughts on it maybe even correcting a false conclusion - mostly done in a respectful and kind manner. So there is no danger of some dubious belief ruining a young breeder's career. As a thread is always balanced. TBH, I see more of a danger by people who think they know better and fail to find the right tone to express their thoughts. They disencourage any open discussion.

My 2pence Mal

*if anyone doubts my background for saying so: I been breeding for almost 18 months now and closely watching the cats behavior. I know there is a lot I cannot predict when pairing or influence by the choice of partners. Even if I know the cats' hidden traits like 12 generations back.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/New/44/101/352
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Sara Franco , Devilness Chant
09-25-2012, 03:11 AM
I new at breeding kitties and there isn't much i can say but i do think the best tip i saw is to read sanura's documents..i for once buy the kitties showing or hiding a trait i want and sometimes i do have them in girls and boys, i read the documents but i can say it will take some time for it all to sink in but it sure helps when i have a doubt about which for example which fur i might get. but because im new im still choosing the path of learning by experience and the bonus i get to anxiously wait and see what the kittie might be. like yesterday was a total surprise when i saw my newborn took a fur all the way after the great grandparents line. and its funny because i was looking to get something not further than the grandparents. I do appreciate it a lot to see the older breeders sharing their experience and tips because it helps me to sometimes get a red light like wow, wait.. what your doing! and seriously.. hate me or not but i hate math so don't try to explain me in technicality or the rest im more of the artsy type and i guess all know that, they don't match greatly..ok im rambling. Big GrinAngel

Thanks given by: Devilness Chant
09-25-2012, 03:41 AM
(09-25-2012 03:11 AM)zivaah Resident Wrote:  I new at breeding kitties and there isn't much i can say but i do think the best tip i saw is to read sanura's documents..i for once buy the kitties showing or hiding a trait i want and sometimes i do have them in girls and boys, i read the documents but i can say it will take some time for it all to sink in but it sure helps when i have a doubt about which for example which fur i might get. but because im new im still choosing the path of learning by experience and the bonus i get to anxiously wait and see what the kittie might be. like yesterday was a total surprise when i saw my newborn took a fur all the way after the great grandparents line. and its funny because i was looking to get something not further than the grandparents. I do appreciate it a lot to see the older breeders sharing their experience and tips because it helps me to sometimes get a red light like wow, wait.. what your doing! and seriously.. hate me or not but i hate math so don't try to explain me in technicality or the rest im more of the artsy type and i guess all know that, they don't match greatly..ok im rambling. Big GrinAngel

Nice! Breeding is about fun mainly and I know how it feels when you get a surprise trait you didn't know it was hiding, so exciting!

And no one can blame you or hate you for hating math Big Grin, I like math but to a point, and of course it is so nice to be artistic!

Sylvan Felines Shops:
Collectables
09-25-2012, 05:22 AM
(09-25-2012 01:53 AM)anna acanthus Wrote:  As for "sewing false and misleading information " quite honestly i doubt very much that the Lucky Pants theory would be taken seriously by anyone reading it. Big Grin

Now that hurts me deeply Dodgy

Retro Kitties Showroom »

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)