Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Technical Breeding Tips and Advice
09-13-2012, 11:45 AM
RE: Breeders Tips Tricks and Advice
(09-13-2012 11:24 AM)devilness chant Wrote:  ...

For the tips and tricks part, there are some things I know a few breeders do, but not sure how much difference it really makes.
Some breeders get the happy stat on their kitties up high well into the 90s before they make a box. I've been told it can make a difference on how many traits pass. I've never noticed a difference, but some of us do have our ways. Maybe it's more like a baseball player wearing his lucky sucks on game day?

Oh, that's why my cats listen so bad Smile

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Devilness Chant
09-13-2012, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 02:01 PM by Tad Carlucci.)
The baseball player's lucky socks have far more effect upon the outcome.

It seems to me that that sort of false "tip" is the exactly sort of thing this tread wants to avoid.
Here's a good tip which is actually something you should know:

If you see someone claiming odds like 1 in 3 or 2 in 3 for something to happen .. IGNORE THEM.

There is no "truth in advertising" requirement for KittyCatS so it's on you to know that such odds are IMPOSSIBLE.

They result from people who insist that 2+2=3.

"Powers of two" are the numbers 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.

ALL odds for KittyCatS are MUST be powers of two. Anyone who claims anything else needs to check their arithmetic.

OK. I'll add that claiming odds of 3 in 4 that something won't happen is OK. Why? Because the odds it *will* happen are 1 in 4, and that IS OK.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Bea Shamrock , Devilness Chant
09-13-2012, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 04:00 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
I think Dev clearly meant the "happy trick" as a nice story about how a breeder can have their superstision at least this is how I read it.
Callie told me a while ago some customers refuse to buy their specials in the main store but prefer to go to an other sim to do their purchases eventhough the cats come from the same server.
I think people sometimes like to think they have some influence on how much luck they have.
Next time I convert a Fancie Kitty I will wear my lucky pants and will stand on my head at least one hour, while singing a happy song, and strongly visualizing a lavender dream Ocicat to make sure I will not convert my 3-rd Blue Moon Fancie cat with the same gender Smile

Retro Kitties Showroom »

09-13-2012, 02:38 PM
(09-13-2012 01:38 PM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  Here's a good tip which is actually something you should know:

If you see someone claiming odds like 1 in 3 or 2 in 3 for something to happen .. IGNORE THEM.

There is no "truth in advertising" requirement for KittyCatS so it's on you to know that such odds are IMPOSSIBLE.

They result from people who insist that 2+2=3.

"Powers of two" are the numbers 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.

ALL odds for KittyCatS are MUST be powers of two. Anyone who claims anything else needs to check their arithmetic.

OK. I'll add that claiming odds of 3 in 4 that something won't happen is OK. Why? Because the odds it *will* happen are 1 in 4, and that IS OK.

One thing that helped me make sense of the odds involved were (still are) punnett squares.

Bea Shamrock, Kitty carer and breeder

"There are no
ordinary cats"
(Colette)
09-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Kay you almost made me spit soda all over my keyboard! haaaaaaaa

There is a big difference between things we know for sure (which all comes down to the kitties know more than we do) lol And things we do for luck or because we believe it might help.

The advise part is what we have all learned threw trial and error and from other breeders. Things like Saga's charts, basics of breeding. Things a new person may not know. The things we answer when someone asks us as individuals, "what is the most important thing to know about breeding kitties?"

The tips and tricks are mostly for fun, for a sense that we can make a difference. Which is what breeding is suppose to be about. The fun! Though I am going to pick out a pair of lucky pants and socks for the next round of starters, but I can't stand on my head..I would end up in traction. Tongue

Devine Kitty Stuff MarketPlace
Devine Kitties at The Kat Shack
09-13-2012, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 03:54 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
(09-13-2012 03:04 PM)devilness chant Wrote:  Kay you almost made me spit soda all over my keyboard! haaaaaaaa

There is a big difference between things we know for sure (which all comes down to the kitties know more than we do) lol And things we do for luck or because we believe it might help.

The advise part is what we have all learned threw trial and error and from other breeders. Things like Saga's charts, basics of breeding. Things a new person may not know. The things we answer when someone asks us as individuals, "what is the most important thing to know about breeding kitties?"

The tips and tricks are mostly for fun, for a sense that we can make a difference. Which is what breeding is suppose to be about. The fun! Though I am going to pick out a pair of lucky pants and socks for the next round of starters, but I can't stand on my head..I would end up in traction. Tongue

LOLL Keep me informed how your lucky pants works out for you!
Do you wash yours?
I don't I strongly believe I shouldn't Smile

Retro Kitties Showroom »

09-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Great idea for a thread Dev! And thanks for all the tips so far! I like the idea of "tips and tricks" that are separate from the often discussed and extremely important "mechanics" of dominance, probability, etc. Even silly rituals (I'm totally trying out lucky underwear next time it's box time) can put the fun in to breeding when the mathematics and likelihoods become a bit blasé. I understand the harm in people misreading and thinking that these tricks are a guarantee but I certainly don't see how holding your kitties and raising their happiness and yours could do much harm in the end... Tongue

[Image: 7884046580_9ba4a7cbb5_n.jpg]

Marketplace Store

United Catteries Store
09-13-2012, 04:59 PM
I haven't figured out which pair will be lucky...probably the ones I can sit down and still breath in? Tongue i think I will wash them though.

And yes Daki! It's nice to get input from a lot of breeders and have some fun doing it!

And Daki......I don't want to know if you don't wash your underwear! Blush

Devine Kitty Stuff MarketPlace
Devine Kitties at The Kat Shack
09-13-2012, 05:30 PM
(09-13-2012 04:59 PM)devilness chant Wrote:  And Daki......I don't want to know if you don't wash your underwear! Blush

LOL!

Retro Kitties Showroom »

09-13-2012, 08:46 PM
(09-13-2012 04:59 PM)devilness chant Wrote:  And Daki......I don't want to know if you don't wash your underwear! Blush

LOL Angel

[Image: 7884046580_9ba4a7cbb5_n.jpg]

Marketplace Store

United Catteries Store

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)