Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Suggestion: Being able to get menagerie cats retrieved
08-13-2012, 05:04 PM
RE: Suggestion: Being able to get menagerie cats retrieved
(08-11-2012 08:36 AM)Liriel Garnet Wrote:  one thing i *can* guarantee is it doesn't remove the cat info from the DB (that'd be poor db management, leaving all the OS records as orphans, and KittyCatS does a great job keeping the DB straight), best i can tell it simply removes it from your active list. you can *still* get to the cat's pedigree and offspring info (which means it's still in the db and you're still somehow the 'owner' of record)

Just because a practice or technique is not a best practice or standard technique doesn't mean that it's not done by people in the industry with the best of intentions LOL Trust me, I've seen a lot of that in my years, and a lot of them were excellent designers and developers just trying to solve a problem quickly. Smile

Anyway, I'm just going by what I was told by a KC authority when I asked about it: that they are removed from the database and that it isn't possible to retrieve them. Some kind of history is obviously still there, hence the pedigree info but enough of the cat's record/info is gone such that retrieval isn't possible in their eyes. I wondered if it would be possible to use this last bit of info to reconstruct the records necessary but obviously they must permanently remove enough data that it isn't, or they wouldn't have claimed it as not possible.

SagaKitty News and Updates Blog:
http://sagakitty.blogspot.ca/
Got Proofs? =^^=
Send full-perm textures/NCs/urls to SagaKitty in SL or email SagaKittySL@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2012, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 07:03 AM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
(08-13-2012 05:04 PM)Wendi Lavendel Wrote:  Just because a practice or technique is not a best practice or standard technique doesn't mean that it's not done by people in the industry with the best of intentions LOL Trust me, I've seen a lot of that in my years, and a lot of them were excellent designers and developers just trying to solve a problem quickly. Smile

Anyway, I'm just going by what I was told by a KC authority when I asked about it: that they are removed from the database and that it isn't possible to retrieve them. Some kind of history is obviously still there, hence the pedigree info but enough of the cat's record/info is gone such that retrieval isn't possible in their eyes. I wondered if it would be possible to use this last bit of info to reconstruct the records necessary but obviously they must permanently remove enough data that it isn't, or they wouldn't have claimed it as not possible.
I agree and I heard something similar to what you said eventhough the tech part of servers and my understanding of it is like how well my Manderin Chinese is LOL
But I have to say fair enough as for them not being able to retreive menageried kitties.
I still hope maybe somehow, some way, some day ...
In the future ...
It is on my wish list and it can't hurt to dream and hope I think Smile

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

08-13-2012, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2012 09:56 PM by Tad Carlucci.)
There may, or may not, be sufficient information on file to pull back a cat. I suppose it would make a certain amount of sense to divide a cat's record into the pedigree information (which full describes a box, so they can certainly be pulled back) and place those few fields showing hunger, energy, etc. in another record which is deleted (and which are only needed while the cat is living and potentially breeding).

But there certainly is enough information to pull that live cat back as a perma-pet.

So, while a suspense system might be a bit of word to implement, it should be extremely simple to provide the option to pull back any box, and have it still potentially opened and bred, and it should be extremely simple to provide a K$-paid Cat-to-SL style system which pulls back a perma-petted cat.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-28-2012, 05:56 AM
for certain id agree permpets need no menagerie button and a 24hr grace period would seem a nice safety net indeed
08-28-2012, 05:56 AM
for certain id agree permpets need no menagerie button and a 24hr grace period would seem a nice safety net indeed
01-04-2013, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 08:27 PM by Winter Phoenix.)

The term 'menagerie' is too friendly sounding.

Even the staff you run into at the kittycat shoppe make it sound happy.

" THE KITTYS GO THERE AND FROLIC ABOUT, THEY LOVE IT THERE."

Is what I had someone telling me one night,

when I made my SOYLENT GREEN IS KITTEH statement.

Treat the menagerie like a fireplace or blast furnace,

do you really want to toss yer kitteh in there??

Change the button to read MEAT GRINDER or something.

Perhaps that will eliminate dreadful mistakes!
01-04-2013, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 10:11 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
(01-04-2013 09:48 PM)Winter Phoenix Wrote:  ... Change the button to read MEAT GRINDER or something. Perhaps that will eliminate dreadful mistakes!

OMG this is hilarious !!!
Thank you for this good laugh Smile
I hope your kitties are okay though?

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

01-08-2013, 02:02 PM
O good idea... I have not lost a cat yet.... but i dread the day.

~ Luna's Lucky KittyCatS ~
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cr.../73/120/21
 Thanks given by: Sara Franco
01-08-2013, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 11:28 PM by Deer Thistle.)
About a few months ago I had several cats randomly fall from the sky (I don't even know) and they fell in the trees of my garden sim, there were 3-4 of them, but I noticed them stuck on some treetops while clearing prims and retrieved them. All of them were sick cats too already laying in their bed poses.

I clicked on each one and noticed they were cats I had menageried so long ago, I'm not even sure I had menageried them on that same sim. So maybe it's not impossible to retrieve cats from the menagerie? Perhaps there's other reasons as to why they don't wish to retrieve kitties from the menagerie.

I'd like to say I re-menageried or deleted the others that had fallen thinking it was some error but I don't recall what I did, I was just shocked at the whole incident and excited to keep some of these kitties I regretted menagering. I kept Pidgeon and Pidgeon's Fortune, both were menageried months before - I was so glad to see them because I had missed my Burmese Blues. I cured both of them too without issue and when I let others own these kitties to see that it wasn't just a glitch but kitties that actually came back from the menagerie somehow, it too said menagerie on the pedigree for them as it does for me:
[Image: e19c99626982d59fc1ab88bb5d54c639.png?1357708103]

Pidgeon's Fortune lives happily in my cattery at the moment. Smile She also walks around, chases butterflies, catnaps, and does everything in-world like a normal kitty would and has no issues, she eats food too and seems to have all of her "data" there despite having been menageried.
[Image: c05982659d9b9f7c8d06ea3d26aa1082.png?1357708078]

...And that's how I became known as the kitty necromancer.

[Image: ohdeersig.gif]
KittyCatS History Thread
01-09-2013, 12:28 AM
(01-08-2013 11:20 PM)deerylou Resident Wrote:  About a few months ago I had several cats randomly fall from the sky (I don't even know) and they fell in the trees of my garden sim, there were 3-4 of them, but I noticed them stuck on some treetops while clearing prims and retrieved them. All of them were sick cats too already laying in their bed poses.

I clicked on each one and noticed they were cats I had menageried so long ago, I'm not even sure I had menageried them on that same sim. So maybe it's not impossible to retrieve cats from the menagerie? Perhaps there's other reasons as to why they don't wish to retrieve kitties from the menagerie.

I'd like to say I re-menageried or deleted the others that had fallen thinking it was some error but I don't recall what I did, I was just shocked at the whole incident and excited to keep some of these kitties I regretted menagering. I kept Pidgeon and Pidgeon's Fortune, both were menageried months before - I was so glad to see them because I had missed my Burmese Blues. I cured both of them too without issue and when I let others own these kitties to see that it wasn't just a glitch but kitties that actually came back from the menagerie somehow, it too said menagerie on the pedigree for them as it does for me:
[Image: e19c99626982d59fc1ab88bb5d54c639.png?1357708103]

Pidgeon's Fortune lives happily in my cattery at the moment. Smile She also walks around, chases butterflies, catnaps, and does everything in-world like a normal kitty would and has no issues, she eats food too and seems to have all of her "data" there despite having been menageried.
[Image: c05982659d9b9f7c8d06ea3d26aa1082.png?1357708078]

...And that's how I became known as the kitty necromancer.

LMAO I still can only imagine kittehs falling from the sky!

Heart KittyCatS lover and LazyCats auctioneer. Heart

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)