Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Gender, upon rezzing or unpacking?
07-09-2012, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 07:27 PM by Sara Franco.)
Question Gender, upon rezzing or unpacking?
I'm wondering about this for a while and I decided to ask here maybe I can find answer Huh

I know that the hidden traits are decided upon rezzing (for first time) the box because I heard from CS at Kittycats group that if you have a special edition (I think any starter) then new traits were released, that kitty can hide the new traits if you never rezzed it before releasing them, but not if rezzed and not unpacked.

But what about gender? is it decided upon rezzing or birth (unpacking)?, I'm asking because I notice some patterns, like I get like 3 or 4 females (sometimes more) before I get a male, so maybe I can delay either mating or unpacking for some lines that always give me females when I need males, but dunno which to do. Of course it would never be accurate but it is really frustrating at times to get the wrong gender every week from the same line.

Sylvan Felines Shops:
Collectables
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2012, 08:18 PM
RE: Gender, upon rezzing or unpacking?
Hi Sara,

Not sure I get what you are saying about the hidden traits...

I think traits are randomly "decided" by the server / scripts when a box is created.

As for the gender, it is also randomly "decided" when the box is created (the 1 or so seconds the box loads with the red
"do not take me in inv" hover text).

Nen Smile

Co-owner of TraitS R uS
[Image: bannieretrupetite.png]
Friendly KittyCatS market & auction site. French, English, Spanish, Dutch, German spoken
07-09-2012, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 08:35 PM by Sara Franco.)
(07-09-2012 08:18 PM)Nenya Eun Wrote:  Hi Sara,

Not sure I get what you are saying about the hidden traits...

I think traits are randomly "decided" by the server / scripts when a box is created.

As for the gender, it is also randomly "decided" when the box is created (the 1 or so seconds the box loads with the red
"do not take me in inv" hover text).

Nen Smile

I meant the same as you said for the hidden traits but you know when you buy a starter it is not the same, it is an inventory interaction and it doesn't contact the server before your rez it, not like when a kitty drops a box.

Thanks for answering my question Smile, so gender is decided upon rezzing or dropping a box not at the moment the kitten leaves the box.

Sylvan Felines Shops:
Collectables
07-09-2012, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 09:06 PM by Tad Carlucci.)
The evidence is strong that traits are determined when the box is first created. Otherwise, we'd surely have seen a "new" trait appearing from an "old" box.

Whether gender is determined at the same time, and simply not shown, or is determined when the box is opened is currently unknowable. KittyCatS Resident says the rationale behind hiding (or leaving unset) the gender until we open a box will become apparent with a future (he said "next") upgrade.

Until that time, the only real effect of leaving gender hidden (or undetermined) until the box is opened is to create a period of hope for the needed gender; all too often followed by disappointment when it is not. The problem is people remember the bad results far more than the good, so there is a growing feeling something is wrong with gender determination. The only problem is the present design creates the issue; there is no problem in the randomness. Hopefully, when the change KR said is coming arrives we'll see the reasoning and the issue can finally be laid to rest.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2012, 10:55 PM
(07-09-2012 09:04 PM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  The evidence is strong that traits are determined when the box is first created. Otherwise, we'd surely have seen a "new" trait appearing from an "old" box.

Whether gender is determined at the same time, and simply not shown, or is determined when the box is opened is currently unknowable. KittyCatS Resident says the rationale behind hiding (or leaving unset) the gender until we open a box will become apparent with a future (he said "next") upgrade.

Until that time, the only real effect of leaving gender hidden (or undetermined) until the box is opened is to create a period of hope for the needed gender; all too often followed by disappointment when it is not. The problem is people remember the bad results far more than the good, so there is a growing feeling something is wrong with gender determination. The only problem is the present design creates the issue; there is no problem in the randomness. Hopefully, when the change KR said is coming arrives we'll see the reasoning and the issue can finally be laid to rest.

Thanks for the clarification Smile

Sylvan Felines Shops:
Collectables
07-09-2012, 11:03 PM
For boxes that *we* birth from our paired cats, gender is determined when the box is 'born' from the parents, the same time the traits are determined. I know this because KittyCats has given me stats on gender of live cats, boxed cats, etc. when we were discussing the gender runs and apparent lack of randomness at one point.

Kitty Kollege Pawfessor, Kitty Kottage
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Is.../69/224/22
07-09-2012, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 11:18 PM by Sara Franco.)
(07-09-2012 11:03 PM)Liriel Garnet Wrote:  For boxes that *we* birth from our paired cats, gender is determined when the box is 'born' from the parents, the same time the traits are determined. I know this because KittyCats has given me stats on gender of live cats, boxed cats, etc. when we were discussing the gender runs and apparent lack of randomness at one point.

Thank you so much for the info, I really needed to know that, because I believed it is not determined before unpacking.

Sylvan Felines Shops:
Collectables

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)