Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

With Gachas Being Banned, How Will Future KittyCatS! Be Released?
08-02-2021, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2021 02:04 PM by KashKave Resident.)
With Gachas Being Banned, How Will Future KittyCatS! Be Released?
Today, Second Life has announced that as of August 31st, Gachas will be banned from the grid. With this change in policy, how will this affect future KittyCatS! releases?

With previous releases, we would pay $790L for example and then what cat we receive is completely random, including its size. Many KittyCatS! enthusiasts are collectors of certain size KittyCatS! or the 'rares' from each collection. I'm curious to know how the KittyCatS! Team will release new cats, with some of the cats (sizes especially) still being rare.

I realize that the team may not have had any time to discuss this amongst themselves at this point, but some input from the community may help the team come up with the most desirable way of releasing cats in the future.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Jelly Supply , Ivy Norsk , Kikii Littlepaws , Eleanor8 Resident
08-02-2021, 07:23 PM
RE: With Gachas Being Banned, How Will Future KittyCatS! Be Released?
Wow. This is going to change things for sure. If I were going to throw in my 2 cents... I'd guess/ suppose that normal sized cats might just each sold by vendor. For the sizes, have a separate lottery? So it's an ongoing contest as opposed to a gacha? I really have no idea what the numbers are on these collections... how many megas or toys are usually generated per collection. Seems like it will require more work for KittyCats. At least the grace period runs through August.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: KashKave Resident , Kikii Littlepaws
08-02-2021, 10:53 PM
Alternatively, is it still a gacha if everybody buys the exact same thing from the vendor (a cat package) and any randomization happens when it's opened and connects to the server? I'm assuming the element of randomization in breedable traits is still allowed?
08-03-2021, 05:20 AM
(08-02-2021 10:53 PM)ShannonSpoonhunter Resident Wrote:  Alternatively, is it still a gacha if everybody buys the exact same thing from the vendor (a cat package) and any randomization happens when it's opened and connects to the server? I'm assuming the element of randomization in breedable traits is still allowed?

According to Patch Linden, yes it is still considered to be a Gacha. Here’s a quote from Patch, “It is the act of paying for something and in return the item/thing you receive back is based on chance. The level of chance does not matter, or if you disclose it, including the ratios, percentages, etc, if the output is unknown (chance based in any way), that combination of mechanisms is what will be prohibited moving forward.”
08-03-2021, 08:05 AM
One interpretation of that wouldn't allow for breedables *at all* which seems crazy.
08-03-2021, 08:13 AM
The key phrase here seems to be:

Linden Lab Wrote:It’s widely known as "gacha", and is defined by a chance-based outcome as a result of a payment.

The breeding of the cats itself - while it is most definitely a matter of chance for the results of a box, and with some heavy-handed weighted algorithms at that - is saved from being covered by this policy by the fact that we don't pay for boxes, we pay for kibble.

Here's the link to the source I used: https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/e...ing-gacha/

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: KashKave Resident , Kikii Littlepaws , Charmayne Brentley
08-03-2021, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2021 08:26 AM by Kikii Littlepaws.)
One thought I had ... in relation to size, for example...

If everything you purchase has to be known, then maybe collection cats are all purchased at normal size (and, by color/costume variation you want, or maybe as fatpacks). However, included "free with purchase" is an item that gives a chance at altering the size of a cat. Perhaps if it's not a sold item, just something free with purchase that isn't required, then maybe it would skirt the regulations enough to be allowable? I'm not a lawyer, though, of course - I'm just trying to think of ways that the fun elements of occasional randomness don't have to die out completely.

And, if even the item free with purchase must be known, then maybe it guarantees a size, and could be applied to any one cat (your favorite collection cat, or your favorite permapet, etc).

Auctioneer: Sundae Sweet Treats (Sun 10AM) | Kiki Kat Treasures (Mon 9AM)
"Once you have been in the dark, you learn to appreciate everything that shines."
 Thanks given by: Ivy Norsk , KashKave Resident , Ellen Ireland
08-03-2021, 08:53 AM
(08-03-2021 08:16 AM)Kikii Littlepaws Wrote:  One thought I had ... in relation to size, for example...

If everything you purchase has to be known, then maybe collection cats are all purchased at normal size (and, by color/costume variation you want, or maybe as fatpacks). However, included "free with purchase" is an item that gives a chance at altering the size of a cat.

Kiki, I think that this is a splendid idea. I know many of us collectors and breeders love the 'chance' aspect when purchasing collection cats and this idea would still make it fun for all.
 Thanks given by: Kikii Littlepaws
08-03-2021, 09:16 AM
(08-03-2021 08:53 AM)KashKave Resident Wrote:  
(08-03-2021 08:16 AM)Kikii Littlepaws Wrote:  One thought I had ... in relation to size, for example...

If everything you purchase has to be known, then maybe collection cats are all purchased at normal size (and, by color/costume variation you want, or maybe as fatpacks). However, included "free with purchase" is an item that gives a chance at altering the size of a cat.

Kiki, I think that this is a splendid idea. I know many of us collectors and breeders love the 'chance' aspect when purchasing collection cats and this idea would still make it fun for all.

Yes, I do also find the randomness to be fun - and am a little sad about this change. With KittyCatS, we all know we can go find the one costume that we really want by waiting for it to show up on the secondary market, and yet, I still always paid for the cats through the KittyCatS vendors to see if I might get lucky. In fact, I obsessively did this through the SweetCatS 2 vendors because I was determined to have each and every one of them in a small size (toy or teacup). I knew what I was doing, and chose to do it. I dislike that this change takes away a choice from me, to a small degree, but I also understand that any game of chance can become an unhealthy thing for some people.

I do hope KittyCatS figures out a good way to keep this still fun while also abiding by any limitations enforced by LL's policy change. My idea might not be the best way to do it, of course, but I was trying to think of something that would still make paying directly to the KittyCatS vendors highly desirable, and might also keep secondary market sales & purchases viable.

In any case, as always, I wish nothing but the best of good fortune to all of my fellow KittyCatS fans, and most especially that and continued success to the KittyCatS team!

Auctioneer: Sundae Sweet Treats (Sun 10AM) | Kiki Kat Treasures (Mon 9AM)
"Once you have been in the dark, you learn to appreciate everything that shines."
 Thanks given by: KashKave Resident , Beryl Landar , Ellen Ireland
08-03-2021, 11:42 AM
" items that had been purchased as “gacha” will be allowed to be re-sold as long as the buyer knows in advance the item and quantity they will receive. "

kittycats always lets us know what we are receiving. they clearly display all of the cats that can come out upon purchasing the kitties offered at the main store. i hope nothing has to be changed for callie because she created the cats (or whomever created the cats). if things have to be changed for "resellers" of callie's creations, then i can understand that.

The Catbird Seat ~ Happily breeding since November 2013.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)