Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Cats keep going under the house
07-27-2020, 02:05 PM
Cats keep going under the house
I have tried picking up and placing them on the ground then homing them but they keep going under the house is there a way to fix this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2020, 05:20 PM
RE: Cats keep going under the house
Hi there!

The best way to fix this issue is to place a 1m thick 'buffer prim' under the floor. Some floors / builds have poor physics and the cats manage to fall through them. A 1m thick prim helps keep that from happening. It is also great to put around walls if in a skybox to make sure the cat stays inside the skybox Smile

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
― Charles Dickens
 Thanks given by: AlannaMaria Resident
07-28-2020, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2020 06:13 PM by Tad Carlucci.)
Actually, it's not poor quality builds.

It's that the cats change back and forth from physical to non-physical, move, and change poses. Every time they do there's a teeny bit of rounding error. Over time that builds up until the cat finds itself "inside" a prim. Once that happens the prim, from the point of view of the cat, becomes phantom and the cat can move freely until it is once again "outside" that prim.

This effect is larger with the cat's positon. But, since the largest X/Y dimension is 256, the effect is never that large in the horizontal plane (so it's less likely that cat will walk through a wall). But the vertical (Z) rounding error can be much larger (so it's much more likely a cat will fall through the floor in a high skybox than on the ground).

[N.B.: The "ground" is not a prim and never goes phantom with respect to the cat, so the cat can't fall through the ground.]

The "1 meter" rule of thumb is just that. What matters is the edge, not the size, of the boundary prim. The "1 m." idea is based upon anecdotal evidence. No matter how large the prim, there is **always** a chance the cat will walk/fall through it.

In most cases, setting the cat's range lower will help prevent walking through walls (but do little for falling through floors). But way back when KittyCat's were young (well before their first birthday), when I first noticed these issues, I made a video (long lost) of a cat walking through a wall, getting stuck outside and working it's way through prim after prim until, hours later, it was on the far opposite corner of my sim, even though it's range was just 5 meters (just enough to come into contact with the walls).

Finally, all this only lasts until it's time for the cat to sleep. When the cat sleeps, it "teleports" to it's Home.

Usually, this is fine. But it's possible to create a parcel layout where the cat can fall to the ground and walk around, only to find itself on the far side of a "no object entry" parcel when it's time to "teleport" Home. If Home is far up in the air. the cat will begin to "teleport" to find it cannot make it and will bump into that "no entry" barrier, stopping there, often far up from the ground and far down from Home. Calling it Home with a HUD won't help (same problem). All you can do is find the cat and take it into inventory. You might try teleporting to the cat, and, if that fails, moving to another corner of the sim and trying again. (Or you can just file a ticket and let a CSR deal with it.)

And now you know far more about the issue than you ever wanted!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Eurydice Barzane , AlannaMaria Resident
10-14-2020, 10:03 PM
Hello,

I have a similar question but I wonder if my issue is the same kind of solution.

I built a mesh gazebo, shown in my picture. I put some "jump and play" prims so they could jump on the steps and on the top level, at least partially. But they seem to like to "hide" in the one column. Would placing a normal "hidden" prim inside the column stop this? I would presume the physics of the column should be enough to stop it but it doesn't seem to. (The physics of each column are a simple "block" column to keep the LI down on the overall build.)

Just wanted to confirm please. Thank you.

Nyrva

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-15-2020, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2020 05:55 AM by Shamu077 Resident.)
(10-14-2020 10:03 PM)Nyrvachan Resident Wrote:  I built a mesh gazebo, shown in my picture. I put some "jump and play" prims so they could jump on the steps and on the top level, at least partially. But they seem to like to "hide" in the one column. Would placing a normal "hidden" prim inside the column stop this? I would presume the physics of the column should be enough to stop it but it doesn't seem to. (The physics of each column are a simple "block" column to keep the LI down on the overall build.)

Did you forget to place a physical invisible prim around the one column? Or is it set to Phantom, which rather defeats it's physics purpose.

I assume the column is not a sculpty, where just turning Phantom prim off would act as a barrier. Ideally you could just add a cylindrical vertical prim on the outside of the column, set to transparent and non phantom.

On the falling thru the floor issue, some mesh and partial mesh builds have "holes" where the physical layer is missing. Teacups and tiny new born kittens usually manage to find these spots. A simple prim rug, or adding a thin invisible prim to the entire floor works too, and also prevents the "failure to rezz on your land" feature for some floors, mesh or not. I had a sculpty floor in a forest that did the same thing. long before mesh builds in SL.
10-15-2020, 03:41 PM
Hi there Nyrva!

Yes, adding in an actual prim within/around the column should fix the issue you are having. It sounds like the physics shape for the column is likely just thin/small enough for the cat to poke through and hide. Smile

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
― Charles Dickens

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)