Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Looking for Land Rentals that Allow Breedables
09-28-2019, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2019 08:18 AM by Tad Carlucci.)
RE: Looking for Land Rentals that Allow Breedables
Usually it takes an opinionated old fart like me.

Seriously, though, talk to people who use it and know how it behaves, and have interacted with the developer(s).

---

Once upon a time there was a breedable which had scripts which took a bit of time doing a lot of things which probably were not needed and probably could have been done better. One of the things they got wrong was limiting the birth rate. All breedables exhibit exponential grown unless something is done to stop it. What they did wasn't nearly enough. More testing would have shown them this, but they shipped too soon, so the problem wasn't found until after the products were out in the wild. Needless to say, they soon started bringing sims to their knees. Too many prims. Too many scripts. And far too popular with the breeeding public. This soon led to the restrictions you see on where you may have breedables. Today, over a decade later, there are still some breedables which might exhibit uncontrolled growth. But most, like KittyCatS, have taken care to ensure their scripts don't use excessive time, and have adjusted timing and pricing to encourage the breeding public to keep the populations in check. But, still, many areas don't allow breedables. This is mainly due to inertia. New landlords look to old landlords for guidance and, seeing the restrictions on breedables, copy those (often without even checking into the background of the restrictions). Older landlords keep the restrictions even though the liklihood of there being a problem is virtually gone. Unfortunately, there is really nothing anyone can do about that except take your business elsewhere. Breedables are a huge market on Second Life, so, over the years, we've seen some loosening on the restrictions. But it's slow.

---

While the best option, which requires no technical abilities, is to talk to people, there are tools in most viewers which allow us to gage how much time a scripted object is using. Some are available to everyone, some to land owners, and some only to estate owners and managers. These tools are meant for developers, Linden support staff, and people with the technical skills (or, at least, deep curiousity) to use them and understand what they're telling us. Some of those tools appear on the right-click pie menu for an object. Some require one to enable the advanced and developer menus on the viewer, and some require us to run the viewer in special ways to capture the output.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Arwen Swordthain , Saxoni Fenstalker
10-16-2019, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2019 12:24 PM by SkippyJonJoans Resident.)
(09-25-2019 02:56 AM)Saxoni Fenstalker Wrote:  I know I've seen this discussed in group chat before, but I didn't pay close attention at the time because I wasn't homeless then like I am now. lol. If anyone knows of any, please let me know. I have limited time in SL to search, and the rentals I've found so far either limit you to a very few cats or want to you to keep them un-animated. Any help is much appreciated! Smile

Why do certain parcles not allow breedables?
Find all posts by this user
10-17-2019, 04:19 AM
(10-16-2019 12:23 PM)SkippyJonJoans Resident Wrote:  
(09-25-2019 02:56 AM)Saxoni Fenstalker Wrote:  I know I've seen this discussed in group chat before, but I didn't pay close attention at the time because I wasn't homeless then like I am now. lol. If anyone knows of any, please let me know. I have limited time in SL to search, and the rentals I've found so far either limit you to a very few cats or want to you to keep them un-animated. Any help is much appreciated! Smile

I think it's because they're worried about the kitties causing lag for other renters, etc.
10-17-2019, 06:19 AM
(10-16-2019 12:23 PM)SkippyJonJoans Resident Wrote:  

If you read Tads replies earlier in the thread he explains very well why some landlords limit or even refuse to have any breedables not just KittyCats.

Forum Based Charts

KittyCats Discoveries & Retirements

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)