Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Nature of genetics for these breedables
08-06-2018, 08:52 AM
Nature of genetics for these breedables
I'm getting a bit of conflicting information regarding the genetics on these breedables. The charts seem to show that there is some dominant/recessive factors involved in traits, however, some of the documents literally say it is a flip of the coin.

My question is, do the genetics work like RL genetics in the sense that if I have a cat with the most recessive eye color as visible, I can assume that its hidden trait is the same eye color? Or to ask it another way, can I assume that the hidden trait on any cat has to be more recessive than the visible one.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Sannctuary Resident
08-06-2018, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2018 09:20 AM by Ivy Norsk.)
RE: Nature of genetics for these breedables
The KittyCats system works strictly according to Mendelian genetics in it's simplest form. Each cat has 9 traits (fur, eyes, eye shape, pupil shape etc.) For each trait there are 2 slots: shown and hidden. The shown slot must be Equal or More dominant than the hidden slot. Or to put it the other way, the hidden slot is Equal or More recessive than the shown trait.

The coin toss reference comes when a cat breeds with another cat. At the time of mating, there is a 50/50 chance that the cat will "throw" its shown or its recessive trait. Once each cat does its "throws", the "throws" are compared by the server to see what the kitten will actually look like. On the kitten then the most dominant trait will show and the recessive trait will hide for each of the trait categories.

Most recessive traits are always "pure" - the shown and the hidden are the same, because, by definition, there can be no trait that is more recessive.
So to answer your actual question, Yes, you can assume that the hidden trait is more recessive or equal to the shown trait.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: Songdog Woolley , MarissaCloud Resident , Sannctuary Resident
08-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Thank you for this explanation. The thing that I have missed and that confused me and that you cleared up by adding the word equal.
So, the fur that shows up is more recessive or EQUAL to the hidden trait. I have had breeding pairs that will give me a gen fur once and a hidden fur once. So that means that those two furs are equal. Now It makes much more sense.
Thank you so much
Damara
08-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Sorry but no. When I said Equal, I really meant the same, i.e., blueberry eyes equals blueberry eyes.
The computer algorithm has to know which trait to put on top; there isn't a situation where trait x is of the same value as trait y. x=x y=y.

If you have a pairing that produced a genesis once and a different fur another time, something went differently in the throw between those two breedings. If you post a pedigree of the parents we can perhaps find out what it was. Generally speaking, I would say that in the first case, a genesis cat threw the shown genesis fur and it covered the fur of the other cat. But in the second breeding, the genesis cat threw its hidden and you were able to see a different more recessive fur.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: Songdog Woolley , Sannctuary Resident
08-06-2018, 04:12 PM
You might want to read this : https://docs.google.com/document/d/12J_Dz_JAx9CEQ_c5vbYHeJRBCVXJ8ydTq3BHK6vSRJk/edit?layout=list&ddrp=1&cindex=4&pid=0B0_Wqb33nVpnZWYwNGViMGMtYWU4ZS00ZjAyLTk4OTctMzk2YzljODliMDhm&sort=name

Thanks given by: Songdog Woolley , Sannctuary Resident
08-09-2018, 09:48 AM
(08-06-2018 08:52 AM)AngharadTruthsayer Resident Wrote:  I'm getting a bit of conflicting information regarding the genetics on these breedables. The charts seem to show that there is some dominant/recessive factors involved in traits, however, some of the documents literally say it is a flip of the coin.

My question is, do the genetics work like RL genetics in the sense that if I have a cat with the most recessive eye color as visible, I can assume that its hidden trait is the same eye color? Or to ask it another way, can I assume that the hidden trait on any cat has to be more recessive than the visible one.

KittyCats breed on a very simple level. Each kitty has a shown trait and a hidden trait based on dominant/recessive.

For example: Kitty one shows Blueberry eyes, but hides Galaxy Star
Kitty two shows Galaxy Gator, but hides Soul Whisper

Resulting Kitten: If kitty two passes their shown eye Galaxy Gator, this kitty now hides the most recessive eye from Kitty one which would be Galaxy Star

Or if Kitty One passes their hidden eye of Galaxy Star, then Soul Whisper from Kitty two will be now be the hidden eye.

So yes, the hidden (if there is one) will always be more recessive than the shown.

Owner CatTales KittyCats Market
KittyCats Breeder and Auctioneer
Breed what you love and sell what you can bear to part with
 Thanks given by: Sannctuary Resident

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)