Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Getting 95% girls
05-15-2016, 11:08 AM
RE: Getting 95% girls
The probability as NOT "drifted". It remains evenly split at 1-in-2 odds for each gender.

Every few months we get someone who gets a surprisingly long run, coming along and complaining. And, every few months, I reply that such is the nature of random numbers. Runs happen. Surprisingly long runs happen. If they did not, then it is NOT random.

You don't have to like it. But complaining about it does not help since it aint broke and there's nothing to fix.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Alassariah Resident
05-15-2016, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2016 10:23 PM by Callie Cline.)
hi,

we can assure you that it is indeed random.

we do appreciate you asking and feel no offense by it. randomness is quite interesting. even though there is always a 50/50 chance for gender (male or female) it can come out where one gets a long run of one gender or another.

years ago when we started, i went and did some research about randomness as i thought 50/50 meant that you'd always get 1/2 of one 1/2 of another.

after reading about it i learned that you get a 50% chance each time but it can be that each time it could come up "heads or tails" (they used a coin as the example) so you could get head, head, head, head, tail, head, tail head, tail, tail, tail, head, tail, tail, tail, head, tail, head, head, head, head, tail, head, tail, tail, tail, etc....

and there would never be a pattern that was repeated, as each time, you had the chance of a head or a tail. it was also possible to get 100 heads or more in a row (though highly unlikely.)

i even tried their random coin toss game to see "randomness" in action (you flip 2 coins at a time) and it wasn't very common to get one of each. i was sorta surprised. (actually i became a bit taken with it and used my own coin to see if there was a difference, there wasn't.)

anyway... all that to say, since you asked...

we do not tamper with the randomness nor do we do anything to manipulate outcomes for our customers who buy our products and trust us. we have not since we started over 5 years ago and we never will. trust with our community is something we value highly and would never do anything to put that in question. it's not even something that we've ever considered doing even when we've gotten complaints where things seem "off".

there is NO way we'd EVER do anything to "make" people go buy anything. first, to do so would first be dishonest and wrong. second, it would be terrible business to ever do something wrong to get people to buy things... i can't see how deceiving people could ever be good for business.

i hope this answers your question and concern. please feel free to IM me inworld if you want to chat about this.

callie cline

P.s. if you'd like the link to that website i'd be happy to give it to you! Smile
Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: JC Aferdita , Shukie Galicia
05-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Thank you Callie for your reply and assurances. I am glad you can see it as a query and not a complaint, unlike certain other supercilious and condescending posters. Their commitment to read stuff into my post that was not there speaks for itself.

This week, my number of female births has again outstripped the males, though with nowhere near the frequency as in the past three weeks or so. Most importantly to me, I have two new male Australian Mists with Snow fur, which means I can viably and consistently breed this fur.
05-22-2016, 05:24 PM
hi Smile even if it was a complaint that would be ok. Smile we know people can get frustrated.

breeding takes so much patience and i'm SO happy you got some males!!!

we bred dogs growing up (german shephards, english springer spaniels and doberman pinshers) and we had the SAME issues when we had litters. one time i wont ever forget, we had 10 males ONE female in a litter!! my dad had customers lined up who wanted females. well.. they had to wait!!!

when we wanted certain genders, we had to buy them also because you can't predict what nature will give.

our cats are a bit different in that you don't have to wait over a year for a new litter. LOL.

anyway, glad you have those males!!
 Thanks given by: JC Aferdita
06-01-2016, 10:33 AM
I know the frustration. I get stretches, i had a stretch of boys not too long ago and iwth my new pairs nw i am only getting girls. I know eventually something will give. Just keep on loving your kittycats <3
06-12-2016, 03:20 PM
(05-13-2016 01:41 AM)BazGumNut Resident Wrote:  Is something wrong with the randomizing algorithm for deciding gender? I've been wondering about this for weeks now as I am getting exclusively girls for my Australian Mist new kittens. I have recently only had males for Snowshoe creams and Abyssinian and those are rare throwbacks to furs that I am not breeding for.

This is very frustrating. I have had up to 20 breeding pairs (about 14 now) and I've noticed this trend for a number of weeks now. I have not collected the exact data but we are talking in the order of 95% female over 40 or so new kittens. What are the odds against that? Very very high.

Has anyone else noticed a similar trend?

Hello, Yes get mainly girls as well. If I get a male kitten its cause for me to celebrate as the males are so rare for me to get.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)