Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

When will the web site be repaired?
02-03-2016, 07:22 AM
When will the web site be repaired?
For about a day now, the web site KITTYCATS.BIZ has been reporting 403 (Forbidden) . Generally, this indicates a configuration error and is relatively easily corrected.

At this point, the alternate web site KITTYCATS.WS is available, but several features are not working. In fact, only the forum, pedigree and cattery menu items work; and I note that the support menu item, which was reporting differing errors, finally ending up with a licensing issue, has now been removed.

On examination, I find the following:

KITTYCATS.BIZ is properly registered, up for renewal on 30NOV2016, using NS and NS2, both at InMotionHosting, both authoritatively reporting 70.39.150.204 with a 1-day cache hint.

KITTYCATS.WS is properly registered, up for renewal on 11SEP2016, using NS and NS2, also both at InMotionHosting, both authoritatively reporting 172.81.117.208 with a 1-day cache hint.

Both addresses reverse as being virtual hosts at InMotionHosting. BIZ at vps7881 and WS at vps17103.

So, from the outside world, everything looks good.

I'm assuming the failure on the BIZ name is being repaired. Do you have an idea how long it will be?

I'm assuming the problem with the support menu item lead it its removal; that the errors were your attempt to get a critical service back up; and that either the BIZ server will return to service or you'll get that corrected. But, when do you expect to restore the support ticket system?

Finally, might I suggest, whether the move to the WS server is temporary or permanent, if you expect to be more than ampther 3-6 hours for the repair/replacement to complete, that you move the name services to point both to the working server and, since EVERYTHING leads to the forum, put up a prominent message so your users can actually find the site and know you're working to fix it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2016, 03:32 PM
RE: When will the web site be repaired?
Hi Tad

I was wondering if you could post a new "view pedigree" script that works with the new "ws" site.

My guess is that even if they get the "biz" site working they will not ask everyone to revert back to it.

Wiz Nirvana
Find all posts by this user
02-06-2016, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 05:35 PM by Tad Carlucci.)
The view pedigree script is from KittyCats and they will need to update it. I cannot repair it. And, yes, this means *ALL* pedigree objects no longer work.

Those pedigree rezer boards which are all the rage DO work. You just have to by-hand edit the link back to .biz when you paste into the dialog. The web server which grabs the pedigree knows to use .ws, but the in-world objects don't. Works fine.

My thinking is that the .biz site is down because they're doing something to it.

This comes from:

1) The error is access denied. There are two ways this happens. Normally, it's a very simple error and can be fixed in a few seconds. The other way, and what I think is going on here, is to intentionally deny access to all (except a few selected clients, which I'm betting is the case here).

2) The .ws site has been around for a while, but was not well known and rarely used because it really only supported the forums. When they switched to it, the Support area did not work at all. They spent an evening trying to get it working, took it down, and, a day or so later, put up the example form it now has rather than customizing. In the process, all support ticket history has gone 'Bye-Bye'; which can't be good for them.

3) Except for the Forum, Pedigree, Cattery and what they slapped up for Support Tickets, all other areas of the web site are non-operational.

4) They rushed out an update for in-world cats. Then, they had the CSR staff running around and, without notice or permission, updating any cats and boxes which were in-world and not updated. To me, this means they needed to get those cats to stop using the .biz web site ASAP.

5) They have been notably quiet about what the issue is, and it's been several days. In the past, they've been fairly open about failures and repaired the site quickly.

So, while there are a number of possible scenarios, I'm crossing my fingers that they're secretly working on a major update to the .biz site and, when it's complete, everyone will be pleased, singing their praises, and forget about the pain, worry and angst they're currently causing. When that occurs, I expect we'll see the .biz site returned, and another round up emergency updates to get everyone and all their cats back to using it.

Whatever their problems are, I have to say, they could have been handled a lot better.

If they really are switching to the .ws site, there is no need for the Access Denied errors .. it would be a simple matter to forward all .biz requests to the .ws site.

If they really are working on a new-and-improved .biz web site, it would have been a LOT less disruptive to do the work on the .ws site then, when everything was done and tested, push it over to the .biz site, avoiding the nasty surprise when users found they were suddenly denied access, and avoiding the rounds of emergency in-world updates.

I'm sure they can rationalize their poor choices and will feel I'm being too hard on them. But, hey, live and learn. Maybe, if they decide to do it again in a few years, they'll do a better job.
02-06-2016, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 06:23 PM by Shamu077 Resident.)
(02-06-2016 05:27 PM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  The view pedigree script is from KittyCats and they will need to update it. I cannot repair it. And, yes, this means *ALL* pedigree objects no longer work.

Those pedigree rezer boards which are all the rage DO work. You just have to by-hand edit the link back to .biz when you paste into the dialog. The web server which grabs the pedigree knows to use .ws, but the in-world objects don't. Works fine.

The pedigree link in local chat (from Info, or clicking on someone else's cat) does work if the cats/boxes are updated to version 1.49, and the owner allows public viewing of the pedigree, which they should if they want to sell their cats. This has made the old pedigree script rather unneeded. IF an older kittycat version is used then the chat link points to .biz - which means all the boxes stored in inventory should be updated to 1.49 after rezzing.

The Pedigree Profiler also will work with the .ws pedigree site, if the profiler owner upgrades it:
"IMPORTANT: New pedigree urls (kittycats.ws) won't work with the profilers older than 1.34. Please replace .ws with .biz in the link to display your KittyCat's pedigree or update your profilers to 1.34."

Unfortunately, many owners of the group profilers used on bid boards and auctions have not bothered to upgrade, and I see cats for sale with an empty Profiler.
02-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Whatever happened doesn't make much sense. I suspect an issue with the host. Possibly brought on by the recent increased functionality of the kittycats (personalized messaging?). So they are probably on a new server that can handle the requests but need to convert to a new platform. I know they would not intentionally put everyone, including their CSRs, through all this mess. Thank you for your time, Tad. The script is probably the least of their immediate concerns.
02-06-2016, 08:19 PM
The hosting provider has a service level commitment. If the error were in their services, they would have it fixed very quickly. Upgrades (and downgrades), say for space or traffic quota, are transparent. If a change required moving to different hardware, it would be instantaneous and we'd never know it occurred. Being down for a full day is unlikely; being down for several days means it's probably a customer (KittyCatS) issue, and nothing to do with the hosting service.

My thinking is, unfortunately, yes, they probably did intentionally put everyone through all this. I just hope, whatever they're up to, when all is said and one, it was worth it.
02-07-2016, 03:13 PM

I was also hoping this was due to a much needed overhaul to
the .BIZ site.

Definitely doesn't look as well planned as it could have been
thus that theory seems a bit... SHAKEY.

My biggest problem was my government sanctioned PC suddenly
decided to flag it as a 'gaming site' and not let me in the other day.

nOOOOOO!

Its working again today, hopefully they don't put such terms in their
search engine parameters to keep us from visiting covertly!

[Image: DERKITTEHMILLlogosmallest.jpg]

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nykus/54/231/24/

Soylent Green is KitteH!
02-08-2016, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2016 09:28 AM by Tad Carlucci.)
I've heard a number of rumors, ranging from ludicrous to down-right time for the tin hats.

To my mind, the evidence points to an intentional act, albeit very poorly planned and the most reasonable explanation for that is that they're updating the site and things are not going as quickly as they expected.

A few weeks (months?) ago, I remember posting a reply to a suggestion or problem involving the forums. In it, I said that their code was fragile and, while a good idea, and probably needed, updating the MyBB software would probably break things so it was wisest to leave things alone.

Which reminds me of the plain-English translation of the warranty you see in virtually all software licenses: 'We don't know if it works, or if will do what you want. If you break it, you own both halves.'

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)