Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Cat Flipping
01-18-2016, 11:15 AM
RE: Cat Flipping
I think it's very unlikely that the pink and white mega will sell for 13K. I think it's wishful thinking on the part of the flipper. But it's a risk that the flipper took. As such, I think having lindens-in-pocket for the mega is a better position to be in. There is no guarantee that any reseller is making money off of somebody else's work.

As Tad has pointed out, the downsides to cat flipping are minimal.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: MsMagick Resident , yourbestboy69 Resident , Ryanna Enfield , CarlottaAdagio Resident , Emilia Darkwatch , Ivy Lane
01-18-2016, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2016 11:36 AM by Lixy Byron.)
I've been "cat flipped" at the very beginning many times, and saw many people "cat flip" allover but, honestly, never cared about (except one time only).

Would mean:
when i've been "cat flipped" because did not know the real value of the cat felt a little pissed off, but was my fault.
In my position, instead have a rush for the sale, could take a little tour around, ask someone more involved in sales than me, visit shops and markets.
So decided that i was the first person that should take care of the first sale.

When i've been "cat flipped" because my price was more affordable than the old markets prices.. well.. who buy my cat and try to resell for more, think that in this way can take advantage and that can sell the cat better than me.. ok.
In the precise moment that this happen i've sold my cat and the other person took a gamble buying the cat and trying to resell for more (maybe my price was not so cheap as he/she though for the actual times), so just wished good luck to the new cat's owner and continued my breeding.. it's ok.

this is always happened.
people that jump in stores and buy cats thinking that can sell for a better price.

who cares? you sold your cat. amen. no?

the only cases i think are really unfair are:

a new trait put on sale very cheap, bought from an old fox from a newbie.
=
ok, the seller is a newbie, or is just naive, or just don't noticed the trait (happen!) and yes, this is a big "his fault" .. but you know what is the cat you're buying, you know that the cat worth honestly more, so should be fair im the seller asking if the price is right and then (after finding that the seller knows that the price is cheap, the cat worth more, the trait it's new etc) then buy the cat and go for your adventure.

a cat wrong priced and bought from an old/new fox.
=
happened to me, one time, i've priced a silent night megapuss wrongly 2.5k instead 25k after the update (you know, after the update you have to reprice all your cats and mispricing can happen a lot, specially if you're lagging or you're tired).
someone came and bought the cat for that * wrong * price.
was totally useless im, send notecards, search, try to speak with other people, telling that the price was wrong and was a mistake from me.
Ok, i made a mistake. But all of us know that this can happen and if was me, i would give back the cat (or pay the other money if really want that box).
The buyer never answered me, would say better the buyer never considered me.. and i've been really in a ugly mood for time and time. (mostly because this behavior was a clear sign of lack of consideration and dishonesty from the buyer).
After that decided that our real life is really too short for care about this and, after having wished all the evil in my heart to this dishonest person, i've decided to let it go this thing forever.

If someone "cat flipped" you, and you're angry, if the price on your cat was your real intentions.. well.. you've sold your cat.
If someone "cat flipped" you because you've underpriced your cat, thinking that was a good idea, and now someone could earn more.. well.. you've sold your cat Smile yes. you could sold for more, next time maybe you will price better your cats.
If someone "cat flipped" you because took advantage on your mistakes, try to im the person.. if nothing will happen let it go. you've sold your cat, will have others cats for sure. he/she is a disonhest person and will go on his/her way. let it go Smile
 Thanks given by: MsMagick Resident , yourbestboy69 Resident , Barry Ballyhoo , Ryanna Enfield , Minx Diabolito , TerrorMisu Resident , CarlottaAdagio Resident , Emilia Darkwatch , Priestess Firanelli
01-18-2016, 11:42 AM
I wanted to add a bit about the pink and white mega that might be more generally applicable. Whomever bought that mega at auction is not a dirty fink: he/she was blown away by the cat, thought that cat was GLORIOUS, and thought its value very high. The buyer really DID and DOES think the cat is GREAT and worth much much more. The buyer, in fact, loves the cat. So, he/she is setting it up for sale at a high price.
I don't think it will sell at that price.
So what comes next:
I think the person will let it sit for awhile, then drop the price, and then, perhaps, say to themself, "but this is a Wonderful Cat, and if nobody is going to buy it I am just going to take it home." OR somebody else will buy it at the somewhat reduced price. And voila, the cat will settle into a place where it is loved.
And they all lived happily ever after.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: MsMagick Resident , yourbestboy69 Resident , Barry Ballyhoo , Ryanna Enfield , CarlottaAdagio Resident , Emilia Darkwatch , VeetMesser Resident
01-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Cat flipping in some ways is part of the economy, and buying a cattery going out of business is either to flip them, managerie or breed. It's a part of business that exists in real life as well, buy low and sell high, those that can do......... some people don't know how ot market and so they have trouble selling, some people do not want to market........... i have actually tried to teach a few people and they are like i don't have time for that, seriously you do that? no way not for me....so what can you do with it? If there are viable kitties for breeding or selling or managerie that part is business.

I agree totally that auctions should not allow it. Auctions are about breeders and their skills and knowledge, there should not be cat flipping in auctions.

The thing that bothers me more than flipping is cloning. I recently realized that someone i care about and respected as a fellow auctioneer, cloned my line. I have no idea what do to about it, except be extremely sad that someone I liked, trusted and who should know better as an auctioneer and not only know better but teach her people better is doing such a thing. I am very sad, since I trust this person with my feelings as a friend, to see they are not as trust worthy with a line i worked long and hard to breed is uncomfortable to say the least. It saddens me.

So to reiterate, I don't have as much a problem with cat flipping through stores and what not, but I do have a problem with cloning.

[Image: al_114x100t.png]

Buy art @ [ RedBubble ] !
 Thanks given by: Dimpz Morane , yourbestboy69 Resident , Emilia Darkwatch , VeetMesser Resident
01-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Thing about selling is when you sell something weather it be Kittycats or whatever, a sale is a sale. Once the item is sold it is the buyers to do as they wish with it..

Heart Owner of Christin's Kittycat Stuff specializing in collars, beds, and re sell kittiesHeart
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: MsMagick Resident , CarlottaAdagio Resident , Emilia Darkwatch , Cliohdna Resident , Ivy Lane , brittanybelike Resident , Alassariah Resident
01-18-2016, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2016 11:31 PM by Minx Diabolito.)
Although I don't believe in cat flipping as a general thing, I do think sometimes it is okay and even positive!

Like when a cattery is going out of business or they decide to quit cats I don't think that person really cares if you are buying them to resell or not. What is their priority is to just sell the cats and get out of kittycats altogether. Also the menagerie value of cats is so low its often not even worth bothering to use that feature so I can see why they have to sell them and put all the cats for even 100 L just to shift them - for resale or not. A load of cats for 100 L is always going to make you more money. I'd rather put them for 100 L and I am very aware people might sell those cats for 200 or more but its just how it is. I might hope they don't do it but its possible and I have to just accept it as part of the market that it can and will happen sometimes. It takes me 9 cats in menagerie to get enough for 1 food. I can sell those same 9 cats at 100 L in SL for 900 L and it buys 5 foods with a bit of change leftover so its not a question to me if I sell them or not, its much better for me

Anyone who feels possessive or really cares if their kitties are bought to be resold should either not sell them or menagerie them to make sure no one else can get their hands on them. We can't tell other people what to do or to do it a certain way and try to label them bad or dishonest just because they approach breedables differently and the approach of some is to buy and sell on at a profit. As has been pointed out, it happens in many markets and with many products and is all part and parcel of trading. Bottom line is we can't control what people do with our cats after they buy them and it isn't fair to say we could or insult them for doing it different. To address the original post - maybe it is a learning curve not to put a cat like that for 4k in future and try to put it instead for more yourself so then you aren't in a position of being envious or upset someone is profitting off you. Or just don't sell it if it worries you someone will resell.
 Thanks given by: MsMagick Resident , SavageR0SE Resident , Senta Garnburg , CarlottaAdagio Resident , Ryanna Enfield , Emilia Darkwatch , Gloria Marchant
01-18-2016, 11:42 PM
I think it's ironic. Not too long ago people were complaining about prices being too low. I agree with Tad, it's a good thing if someone sells a cat higher. The first person sold it for what they thought it was worth and got their price. The second person thought it was worth more and took a risk and put it out for a higher price where it may sell or not sell.

I'm a breeder primarily and I admit I'm not good at selling. I breed cats with a variety of traits but I work hard to put on traits in the upper 1/3 of recessiveness. It is extemely rare for me to have white/mysterious whiskers on a cat, for example, unless I bought a cat to get a new trait. So I admit I would get frustrated if I sell something and someone else sells it for higher -- but it's also because they are a better seller than I am. Selling is also a skill just like breeding is a skill.

The other thing to consider is that if a person has some skill at breeding they are less likely to buy cats since they will like their own cats better for the most part. If they buy a cat, they buy it to breed which means kibble which means costs which means they limit how many cats they buy. A reseller buys more cats provided they manage to sell the cats they already bought. Granted they buy cats in the lower ranges but often the lower ranges is where the beginning breeder sell so it encourages beginning breeders to keep breeding because they get money for kibble. We need these buyers quite frankly. The people who buy for a pet or to give a gift don't buy often either. A regular buyer such as a reseller should be encouraged -- they take a risk that they can sell the cat at a higher price and if they do, they raise the market and go out and buy more cats. I am willing to bet if the mega did sell for 13k -- the 13k went back out to buy several cats as well as rent.

And honestly if it really bugs you, raise the prices on your cats. It will discourage the reseller. You'll still sell to breeders and people who want pets or to give a gift. They don't buy as often but the raise in prices should offset the loss of no longer selling to resellers.

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." Terry Pratchett
Der Kitty Mill
Latest Born Kitty:
[Image: Kayla_Woodrunner]
 Thanks given by: MsMagick Resident , Minx Diabolito , CarlottaAdagio Resident , Ryanna Enfield , Oselkhandro Resident , Emilia Darkwatch , VeetMesser Resident , Alassariah Resident
01-19-2016, 12:36 AM

This conversation again.

Its more like... somebody is selling a dozen widgets on Ebay for 5 bucks.
I pay 5 bucks for the 12 and sell em individually...

...for a buck apiece on Ebay, and make seven dollars profit.

I wouldn't expect the widget seller to IM me and call me dishonest and
say things like:

" YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO KEEP ALL OF EM' ON A SHELF AND NEVER SELL THEM.
YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TOOK ME TO MAKE THOSE WIDGETS?"

Now replace the word 'widgets' with ''pink chateaus with full moon eyes"
and pretend we are talking about the marketplace.

If you're selling your cats for a set price,
and a reseller buys one or a bunch of them from you at your asking price,
LUCKY YOU!

Who cares what happens after that?

Most people aint selling anything, you're ahead of the game!

ENJOY YOUR KittyCatS!

[Image: DERKITTEHMILLlogosmallest.jpg]

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nykus/54/231/24/

Soylent Green is KitteH!
 Thanks given by: MsMagick Resident , Sandie Lanley , Shukie Galicia , CarlottaAdagio Resident , Ryanna Enfield , Shamu077 Resident , JC Aferdita , Ivy Norsk , Emilia Darkwatch , Priestess Firanelli , Senta Garnburg , Ivy Lane , TerrorMisu Resident , brittanybelike Resident , VeetMesser Resident , Alassariah Resident
01-19-2016, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2016 03:35 AM by MsMagick Resident.)
Oh, apparently I've been banned from Rainbow's End for flipping Cali's cat. Whatever.

....Although your renter's might want to consider that you are now prohibiting a potential buyer from going to their shops.

The Magick Cattery

In World Kitties For Sale: http://torgon.info/manage/index.html#!/k...20Resident
MarketPlace: http://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/167189
 Thanks given by: Minx Diabolito , Emilia Darkwatch , CarlottaAdagio Resident , brittanybelike Resident
01-19-2016, 03:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2016 01:51 PM by MsMagick Resident.)
(01-19-2016 12:36 AM)Winter Phoenix Wrote:  Its more like... somebody is selling a dozen widgets on Ebay for 5 bucks.
I pay 5 bucks for the 12 and sell em individually...

...for a buck apiece on Ebay, and make seven dollars profit.

Okay, now I'm having flashbacks to business school again!

I am absolutely certain the first time I ever heard of "widgets" was MacroEconomics, in learning The Law of Supply and Demand.
I had the professor who wrote the book, and back then I wondered if he invented the term. That was looooong before it was something on your desktop! Smile

In this case, I definitely added value to the cat including healing it, feeding it, transporting it, renting a sales space and advertising it.

(Honestly, all the jargon aside, because of his age, I did everything that I could to make sure he was going to be ready to breed ASAP, including immediately healing him, cuddling him, and putting him out for sale with milk as well as food. I thought about getting him a mate, but when you're 93, you don't have a lot of breeding cycles to waste!)

The Magick Cattery

In World Kitties For Sale: http://torgon.info/manage/index.html#!/k...20Resident
MarketPlace: http://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/167189
 Thanks given by: Winter Phoenix , VeetMesser Resident

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)