Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Newer Traits Introduction
01-11-2012, 05:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 06:53 AM by anna Acanthus.)
Newer Traits Introduction
This is a suggestion that has already been made but not sure if it was on this forum.

With the recent tsunami of new traits many established breeders have left or are seriously thinking of leaving the kitty biz.
These are people who have contributed knowledge, time, effort and 100's and often 1000's of USDs to KittyCats, and contributed in other ways to make the biz what it is today.
Months of breeding out traits end up in the dustbin and although we have had the courage and interest to keep up with the earlier introductions it's now getting totally out of hand.
I won't bother to recap all the reasons which are mostly covered here in Malicia's thread : http://kittycats.biz/forum/showthread.php?tid=2269
And ok, I know there are plenty more fishes like us in the sea, but for how long … ?

Critical mass is a phenomenon which touches not only the black holes in space but everything in life including collective psychism, markets, and the event horizon in this case = collapse, it has a life of it's own and and grows according to it's own equation. And raining tons of new traits every couple of months is just a way of hastening this.

Anyhow a way to rekindle the resulting waning enthusiasm for breeding would be to introduce newer traits into our older kitties, like a recessive dormant gene much in the way white, mysterious whiskers were introduced back in summer 2011.

Of course i don't mean the very latest traits being snuck in as this would probably reduce drastically the buying of specials and starters.
Maybe for example : when the xmas kitties came out, the new halloween traits and those before could have been introduced into already existing kitties.
The argument against this which comes from a few of the community is that this would scramble their "pure" breeds … well IMHO
pure is not a great way of breeding out new traits and i avoid it like the plague, it's a dead end, as do many of the really top breeders i've spoken to about this, and when i say top breeders i don't mean those who just buy the best traits and pair them and churn out identical kitties for fast bucks without making the effort (or even knowing how to) develop them further.

But in order to not downgrade the traits i'd say no introduction of anything lower than say from aby ruddy up and from grass up. This way a 9 T bengal snow won't suddenly star producing blue tabbies with forest but my 9T blue tabby with forest has a chance of starting to produce something higher, also the ben snow of giving even higher.

A delicate balance to find i know but this would surely dynamise our flagging spirits and give a whole new interest to Kittycats.

I was going to post this in the above thread but as i'd like as much feedback as poss i'm creating a new one.

Looking forward to seeing added "2 cents" from some of our great minds Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2012, 02:55 PM
RE: Newer Traits Introduction
Hey Anna,

With the way the KittyCats "genetics" works, this is simply not possible. They have TWO "genes" per trait you see, nothing more. -And if you know the hidden fur of your KittyCats, and breed specifically for that, you'd be PISSED if that was suddenly another fur - maybe one you don't want at all! -Besides it not being possible, it would create an uproar from people who know the hidden traits of their cats and spent generations on breeding for those specifically.

-If what you suggest should happen, it'd take a completely new way of breeding the KittyCatS, "mutations" etc. included. -If that is what we want, we may as well breed Meeroos - their way of passing on furs is WAY more complicated than KittyCats (Seems damn random at times Tongue), PLUS they already got "mutations" implemented in the scripts. -It is a completely different system.
Both systems have their good and bad sides - but I believe KittyCatS work great as they are, EVEN if it means that new traits cannot be added to old cats.

KittyCatS are fairly simple creatures - and once you know your cats through generations, also fairly predictable. -But yet so brilliantly simple that they can STILL surprise us, even when we thought we knew it all Wink
Let's keep it that way - even if it was possible to change it AND the creators wanted to, I am sure it'd cause more trouble than it'd solve if it was tried.

That being said, I like your expression "Tsunami of traits"... lol. -Yeps, we've had MORE than a fair share recently, and we haven't even uncovered them all yet. I agree we need a break on that front. Let's unveil what is left to be unveiled, and get a chance to combine what we then got in the way we want before even more options are thrown at us.

Saga
01-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Yes of course you're right about the 2 genes per trait Saga, and it would indeed involve some kind of mutation .
I tossed out this idea without overtaxing my grey matter as to the details and hoping that some more speedy and acrobatic minds could come up with workarounds which would keep everyone happy.
Sort of think tank if you like ...

I heard today that there are around 15 new traits in the xmas kitties and probably more planned for uncomfortably soon, and suddenly felt like a hamster in a wheel. Just when i'm starting to get somewhere with my breeds they become more or less obsolete, to the point that it hardly seems worth trying to breed in new traits anymore Confused
01-12-2012, 05:00 AM
Yes, I agree with you there, Anna... Too much and too fast. To get ANY chance of breeding in between the new-trait-releases, I also suggested elsewhere in this forum that cats should be able to breed when they're 7 days old instead of 14 - the generations are simply too slow to really get anywhere as it is now. We -can't- keep up Confused
01-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm totally for breeding at 7 days too.
However there was a suggestion that the breeding cycle be shortened to 5 days and this i don't agree with. I'd love to have kitties every 5 days but with the 10% love potion we'd be getting the market flooded with rare traits so fast they would stay desirable for an even shorter time thus defeating the object really.
We really do need an absolute minimum of 3 months before the release of new traits and less traits each time as well ; it's in every bodies interest i think.
01-25-2012, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2012 07:27 AM by Karen Veriander.)
I agree that the "trait tsunami" is a huge discouragement. I'd argue that it might be even more stressful on those of us in the lowly "non-top breeder" category, because we are facing a mountain of knowledge to climb in the first place, a long slog to a decent breeding base, and then to have the rug regularly yanked out from under us .... it's .... disconcerting.

Personally, I've kind of given up hope. I didn't even buy any Christmas cats. I haven't unboxed my pretty starry cat.
(01-11-2012 05:36 AM)anna acanthus Wrote:  when i say top breeders i don't mean those who just buy the best traits and pair them and churn out identical kitties for fast bucks without making the effort (or even knowing how to) develop them further.
But I have to say my eyebrow did go up a bit here. Who do you think is buying the amazing cats the "elites" are turning out?

Heart Coriander Co-Op, our cute little store at Too Adorable! Heart
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2012, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2012 11:25 AM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
(01-25-2012 07:20 AM)Karen Veriander Wrote:  I agree that the "trait tsunami" is a huge discouragement. I'd argue that it might be even more stressful on those of us in the lowly "non-top breeder" category, because we are facing a mountain of knowledge to climb in the first place, a long slog to a decent breeding base, and then to have the rug regularly yanked out from under us .... it's .... disconcerting.

Personally, I've kind of given up hope. I didn't even buy any Christmas cats. I haven't unboxed my pretty starry cat.
(01-11-2012 05:36 AM)anna acanthus Wrote:  when i say top breeders i don't mean those who just buy the best traits and pair them and churn out identical kitties for fast bucks without making the effort (or even knowing how to) develop them further.
But I have to say my eyebrow did go up a bit here. Who do you think is buying the amazing cats the "elites" are turning out?

Yes we can't breed it all unless we want to have an amazing amount of cats in our cattery.
So I agree ofcourse we purchase cats from other breeders who do breed something we need in our cattery.
Good for the economics as well:-)
To me it is like shopping for ingredients we can integrate in our current breeding program.
And what does a big or small breeder really mean right?
I don't care about that.
It is kind of disturbing my view on the bigger purpose in having and breeding kitty's and this is to have fun and share the joy we obviously have from our kittens.

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)