Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

"starter cats" and traits
03-01-2011, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2011 06:54 AM by Kieve Jakob.)
Question "starter cats" and traits
OK -- here is my weird burning question of the day: If I see a cat for sale with basically only the same visible traits as its starter parents -- what makes it more valuable than buying a (cheaper) starter cat at the official store? [other than if you want to pay for transferability]. Is there a sense that hidden traits will be coming out sooner with those cats? Is it just a little gamble? I'll accept unproved theories as well as actual knowledge -- just please indicate which it is Tongue

and perhaps obviously ... i'm thinking more of breeding than someone looking for a particular cat for a pet Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2011, 12:02 PM
RE: "starter cats" and traits
Second generation cats are usually wanted more. My theory being that some believe the traits may be closer to surfacing, others believe (such as myself) it's all about the genetics and possible traits, if a second gen cat has say a sibling that gave something desired I'd buy the second gen in hopes that it has the same genes hiding and just aren't visible. If no known information on the second gen cat and it's possible traits, I'd just buy from the store, but that's just my philosophy. Hope I could help...

----------
Owner of Little Breeders
Blogger for Breedables Inc.
----------
03-01-2011, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2011 12:19 PM by Kristoffer Juneau.)
(03-01-2011 06:31 AM)Kieve Jakob Wrote:  OK -- here is my weird burning question of the day: If I see a cat for sale with basically only the same visible traits as its starter parents -- what makes it more valuable than buying a (cheaper) starter cat at the official store? [other than if you want to pay for transferability]. Is there a sense that hidden traits will be coming out sooner with those cats? Is it just a little gamble? I'll accept unproved theories as well as actual knowledge -- just please indicate which it is Tongue

and perhaps obviously ... i'm thinking more of breeding than someone looking for a particular cat for a pet Smile

This baffles me also why people dont just buy starter cats from the store. The only reasons i can see making it more valuable are the following:
1. It being transferrable if for some reason you wanted to sell it, give it to a partner, or breed with a partners cats.
2. If the cat is X number of days old its that much closer to breeding age
3. If its a starter fur you really want and sex. People say starter like its a bad thing, but the starter furs are just as nice as the others. They just dont have the demand most rare ones have.
4. The parents are a rare(desirable) fur that threw a starter.

Now the major disadvantage i see (my own hypothesis) is that statistically your chances of getting a nonstarter fur are lower than if you bought starter cats from the store. In one of my other posts i describe my theory on how traits are passed from parent to offspring. When I breed two starter cats together and get a starter, well now I have a second generation starter which has a higher chance of having hidden genes that are just starter traits.

(03-01-2011 12:02 PM)Kirakah Little Wrote:  My theory being that some believe the traits may be closer to surfacing, others believe (such as myself) it's all about the genetics and possible traits, if a second gen cat has say a sibling that gave something desired I'd buy the second gen in hopes that it has the same genes hiding and just aren't visible.

I have heard that theory of traits being closer to surfacing, i never have believed that. Really only the creators know, but it would require the scripting to keep track of the traits a cat has given out, which i dont believe any do. I think its all random based on probabilities of each. So each breeding its the same chance. Same thing i never believed breeding one fur with another (with bunnies) increased chances of something passing. The sibling theory has merit, since if the sibling got that trait (shown) and the current kitty doesn't then there is a chance that possibly the kitty has that trait hidden.

I could be totally wrong with my theory, but think I am mostly on the right track with these.
03-01-2011, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2011 04:14 PM by Kieve Jakob.)
thanks both of you... you've had some great thoughts. The sibling theory does make some sense... but when I'm looking at the cat at an auction or marketplace... I don't have any sibling info that might warrant a higher price

ps.... i love you folks who like puzzling thru some of this too Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)