Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

I AM SO SAD...please update Firestorm cats too!
07-01-2015, 04:30 PM
RE: I AM SO SAD...please update Firestorm cats too!
Back in the day, there was some logic to worrying about storage costs for things like KittyCats. For most web hosting services, now, generally there is no quota .. the price is the same for one or one-million. (Note, I'm not talking about high-end services like Google and Amazon, which offer are far more than just web hosting.)

If you're concerned about other costs, such as the programming for the update, it seems to me that NOT upgrading the Firestorm kitties is actually MORE expensive than doing so. Why? Because the programmer has to actually work to avoid updating them.

So, no, it's not a question of cost. Nor is it a question of profitability.

The point is simply that they said the Firestorm kitties would not update, and they're standing by that promise.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2015, 04:45 AM
I'm new to kittycats after returning to Second Life from a three year break. I wanted a kittycat pet for my home and someone pointed out the phoenix kittys. I got one and I think my new kittycat is adorable. I love that he requires no food especially.

The fact that kittycats provided this adorable kittycat for free was such a wonderful gift. I've been told that other kittycats have other interactions that my kittycat doesn't, but I don't think that matters at all.

I love that I can cuddle and hold him and even take him on walks. I'm so thankful that kittycats has provided this adorable kitty. It is generous of them. I may get a kittycat other than my phoenix kitty Tennyson down the road once I learn more about them, but I love my phoenix kittycat. Heart
Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: JC Aferdita , MsMagick Resident
07-04-2015, 07:00 AM
Question: can the Firestorm kitties be stored in the Cattery?

If so, you don't need to update them. Simply go to the Main Store and get a current-version Dock. Send the cat to the Cattery and pull it back with the Dock.
07-04-2015, 08:59 AM
So you're saying they really can be updated in a sort of quiet backdoor way?

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
07-04-2015, 09:11 AM
(07-04-2015 07:00 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  Question: can the Firestorm kitties be stored in the Cattery?

If so, you don't need to update them. Simply go to the Main Store and get a current-version Dock. Send the cat to the Cattery and pull it back with the Dock.

I just tried this... goes to the cattery fine, but comes back with the same version (1.34)

LISTINGS now exclusively on Torgon's WebMarket: https://torgon.info/manage/#!/kccats?own...20Ballyhoo
07-04-2015, 09:12 AM
LOL

I don't think KC would not have thought about that.

Thanks given by: MsMagick Resident
07-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Sheesh. Well, if they want the headache of maintaining old versions like that, that's up to them.

It'll be interesting to see if they keep it up when they have a few more 'we don't update these, so we need to keep special checks for' special exceptions in their code. At some point the complexity of doing it will become unmaintainable and they'll be forced to choose between ceasing updates altogether or getting rid of the that junk.
07-04-2015, 05:43 PM
I'm thinking that if they implemented it, it is perhaps not such a big headache that you think it is. KC is an amazing coder and he might've found a solution that makes it doable. Also, there is probably a reason to WHY they did it like this. Kittycats-team usually does everything for a reason, not always obvious ones either, but usually a really clever one.
07-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Any possible solution involves(1) remembering to ALWAYS include EVERY required out-of-date version in EVERY Updater, Dock, and Magic Bottle; and (2) remembering why there is a check, what it checks, and what needs to be changed for the next time.

You're right, it's nothing more than "if .. then .. else" but that's only for ONE such special case. Next year, if they do it again, it's two, then three, then four ... eventually they'll either make a mistake, or, worse yet, hit a limit on how many objects one can store in an object, or how complex the script can be, or something.

But, yeah, most programmers will take the expedient route, slap in the needed code, and pray management never asks if it's really a good idea to go down that route.
07-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Wow, you must know some pretty shady programmers then. Most of my programmer friends try to do the best coding, not their worst. Though if that is how you view it, that says a lot about you.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)