Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

SL and the Next Generation VR
10-06-2015, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 07:52 PM by MsMagick Resident.)
RE: SL and the Next Generation VR
(10-05-2015 01:20 PM)Ivy Norsk Wrote:  Ebbe Altberg gave another interview:

GeekDad: Project Sansar: Giving Virtual Reality a Second Life

There's a bit more in there about how the thing will be oriented around immersive Experiences (instead of sims). There isn't anything specifically said about objects, scripting, NPCs or such.

Yes, my IT person said that you will NOT be able to cross SIM boundaries: You'll HAVE to TP from place to place. That is normal for me anyway, but for folks who love sailing or flying, or just randomly exploring in SL...

(09-21-2015 10:24 AM)jwenting Resident Wrote:  I'd rather think they'd do it different and have an experience per region automatically set up so no permissions are needed to be given for things rezzed by the region owner (or maybe the landgroup even, though I'd like to be able to at least turn off permissions for that for a region, and better yet be asked at least once to approve them for the region).

If animation permissions are automatic just because the creator said it's to be so that takes away the entire point of having a permission system in the first place, which was introduced to prevent griefer objects from automatically animating people that bump into them.

*nods* I can only think of one place in SL that I would ever consider giving blanket permissions to the owner, but since it's actually group owned -- ummm, NO! The whole idea of not being able to individually consent to things REALLY bothers me.

The Magick Cattery

In World Kitties For Sale: http://torgon.info/manage/index.html#!/k...20Resident
MarketPlace: http://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/167189
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2015, 09:05 AM
New interview: Project Sansar aims to be live (though in alpha) in time for the release of Oculus rift in 2016.

"YouTube of Virtual Reality"

It's a short blurby article with an emphasis on saying "We're for monetized content creators" and "Oculus Rift" in various ways. Frankly I think the article is mainly spun to be saying... "this is for more than just that weird nichey Second Life stuff you've heard about. We want more different types of projects on our platform." But they say that in a nice way.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
Find all posts by this user
03-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Ebbe Linden gave a speech at the Virtual Worlds Best Practices Education Conference on March 10th. It is a one hour talk. I am listening to it now.

Ebbe Linden speech on D. Voyager blog

The link is on Daniel Voyager's blog with some key points. The most pertinent right now that I can see is that creators can apply to be in the invitational beta for Project Sansar in May or June.
As a side note, he says they are spending a lot of time on "compliance", in other words, making sure that Linden Lab does not run afoul of international legal and financial lines.

Also, he says they will keep Sansar and Second Life running in parallel: "for years and years they will remain separate products."

Thanks given by: Oselkhandro Resident , Priestess Firanelli
01-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Nice interview. So... over 500 creator developers are busy in there working. KittyCats we don't know about. There are only still shots of the proto-avatars and the photos are a bit dark so ... not much to be said about that.

Tom's HardWare article on Sansar

There's talk in there about how they want Sansar to be a platform for virtual worldS (plural)... to host worlds that people build. Also they've built a marketplace. Also they expect that people will want to have businesses "like in Second Life". Ebbe Linden reiterates the idea that they will be less heavy on the "property tax" (i.e., land tier in Second Life) and higher on the "consumer tax" (i.e., percentages of marketplace sales likely).

There is a lovely preview video embedded at the end of that interview. The in-world graphics look great. Lighting is a bit dark and there are only still shots of the proto-avatars. It features people looking around a building in the Oculus Rift type headsets. I know that I and others are not necessarily keen to spend our online time in headsets, but other interviews have indicated that there will also be mobile versions and that's for darn tootin not going to be used with headsets.

01-05-2017, 12:51 AM
(08-19-2015 10:18 AM)MsMagick Resident Wrote:  I'm not going if I can't take my kitties with me... double for the permas!

Me to MsMagick.....I need to be able to take my kitties...Huh
01-05-2017, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 02:03 PM by Markham Weatherwax.)
(08-20-2015 07:19 PM)Ivy Norsk Wrote:  If you check some of the links above you will find more information specific information.
To summarize a few bits though:
1) Absolutely avatar names (and almost certainly Linden balances) will transfer. The Lindens want people to be able to find their friends in the new world and we do that via our avatar names...

Linden currency will not transfer. There will be a completely diiferent monetary system where only a specific amount of Sansars ($) will be in-world and that has to be circulated between creators and then down to users. There is a thread in the SL forums discussing this and other new world issues.

Regards,

Markham Weatherwax
[Easy Going Pet Store] * [MP]
01-05-2017, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 03:59 PM by Ivy Norsk.)
Ivy Norsk Wrote:If you check some of the links above you will find more information specific information.
To summarize a few bits though:
1) Absolutely avatar names (and almost certainly Linden balances) will transfer. The Lindens want people to be able to find their friends in the new world and we do that via our avatar names...

Markham Weatherwax Wrote:Linden currency will not transfer. There will be a completely diiferent monetary system where only a specific amount of Sansars ($) will be in-world and that has to be circulated between creators and then down to users. There is a thread in the SL forums discussing this and other new world issues.

What I wrote was written in August of 2015, a year and half ago, and was an accurate summation of what Ebbe said at that time. That they have adjusted their position on the currency is not surprising as a great deal has shifted. They may yet work out some currency exchanges with lindens.

The thread you refer to is here: Linden Lab Introduces Sansar Monetization

01-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Markham Weatherwax Wrote:Linden currency will not transfer. There will be a completely diiferent monetary system where only a specific amount of Sansars ($) will be in-world and that has to be circulated between creators and then down to users. There is a thread in the SL forums discussing this and other new world issues.

What I wrote was written in August of 2015, a year and half ago, and was an accurate summation of what Ebbe said at that time. That they have adjusted their position on the currency is not surprising as a great deal has shifted. They may yet work out some currency exchanges with lindens.

The thread you refer to is here: Linden Lab Introduces Sansar Monetization
[/quote]

That'll teach me to reply to forum posts on my Kindle. LOL

Missed the post date. Too small. My bad. Sorry.

Regards,

Markham Weatherwax
[Easy Going Pet Store] * [MP]
 Thanks given by: Ivy Norsk
03-07-2017, 03:09 PM
New video folksies:

Sansar - Created Reality

Key phrases: "upload assets" and "repurpose existing content".
Key visuals: hey those prim placement tools look very familiar.
And yes there's an inworld building system.

03-12-2017, 08:23 PM

No crossing sim borders sounds pretty sh!tty, unless the sim is
5000 miles across.

Kinda like it is now though with private sims, you have to TP outta those
already.

But have you tried flying across one of the mainland continents in a
hot air balloon? I do on occasion. I try to make it from one side to the other,
landing on that funky Linden prim factory on an oil rig in the middle of the strait.

Stop by sometime and I'll take you for a ride.
You can make wagers how far you can get before some idiots ban machine
shoots you out of the sky and beams you home, leaving your balloon flying
along without you in it.

As for Linden money,
only a specific amount of cash will be created?

ZOUNDS! Will cash be hard to come by??????

Uh huh, suuuuure.

Though your Linden dollars will be rendered into electronic dust,
you know your credit card will buy as much of the new fake cash
as far as your credit limit can handle.

All your current wigs will be just a fond memory but that new hairdoo
should totally rock Wink

[Image: DERKITTEHMILLlogosmallest.jpg]

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nykus/54/231/24/

Soylent Green is KitteH!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)