Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Forums
01-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Forums
I've noticed this particular forum isn't very active, I wonder why? I come here a lot and end up responding to threads that have been posted almost 6 months to a year ago....How can we get more folks to start using the forum? Just a thought... Confused
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: fabioazevedo Oh
01-10-2015, 09:05 AM
RE: Forums
First of all, I Love your forum avatar! That cat is Darling!

I think there are two parts to your question - why is it not active and secondly how do we attract more people.
I think the answer to the first is that these things go in waves. And also, for many people these topics, the same topics, have been covered in a the past, so maybe not everybody responds to a thread if they've participated in a similar one already. Which isn't helpful to newer members, and it's true, makes the forum look less vital. I think, as forums go, this one has a fair number of readers. One thing that I note is that more people post in the market section advertising cats than actually post in the discussion section. I think a lot of people in the community are active and may peruse but not be chatty here, for whatever reason.

For the second part, I think that the most easy people to engage are the people who already visit the form as a habit, in the market section, are the ones most easy to bring in. I think it's an interesting topic and maybe there could be more outreach inworld. I totally agree that a lively discussion section is a good thing. Kayla's thread on Murphy's Law is an example of a fun sort of thread that adds. Maybe more Showroom threads with Themes of kitties, where people put up pictures of their cats. I always love looking at those. Winter's pics have fun stories to them, Kayla's, Maxwell Grantly hasn't done his fabulous picture stories in awhile but those were Great!. John's comics. Smile

This may also just represent a lull. At the risk of howling from the audience, I will mention that SL2 is coming up, and when I mentioned that in the context of another thread people took the thread into derail (my first post about SL2 was Not a derail, but very much pertained to SL1). However, SL2 and other virtual worlds ARE coming, and the more information we have about that, the more solid things we will have to discuss about that.

That other thread, which was about permapet costs, is an example I think of what you're talking about. It was an old thread, 6 pages long when someone brought it up again, and after the derail there wasn't much posting, and I really think the reason for that is that many people had commented on the topic before and didn't feel the need to comment again. It wasn't that they don't care about the topic.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: brittanybelike Resident , Vrem Vaniva
01-10-2015, 09:53 PM
I agree with Ivy.

People do respond to questions in general. Sometimes their response may be abrupt because they've answered it befoe but they are still trying to be helpful. Sometimes people correct information in a thread and that's ok too although somtimes people get upset when they are being corrected. This can put people off but they usually learn things are well-intentioned and come back.

The thing is that if things get too quiet is just start a thread in whatever you are interested in. The more people start threads, the more people respond. And it is okay to start it about anything. One person just wanted complain they got 7 boys in a row when they needed a girl and a number of people responded in total understanding and sympathy. Winter even wrote a poem about it.

There are more people here than you know, some are very educated in kittycats, some know the history back to the beginning, some are funny, some are artistic/creative, some want sympathy, some want to share. You'll be surprised. Start a thread about whatever is on your mind kittycats minded. People are here for each other.

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." Terry Pratchett
Der Kitty Mill
Latest Born Kitty:
[Image: Kayla_Woodrunner]
 Thanks given by: brittanybelike Resident , Vrem Vaniva
01-11-2015, 02:39 PM
I love theses forums and how helpful people are

Vrem posted under breeding about how to get a superrecessive trait out and a couple people came back with strategies and the suggestions worked. She showed the baby. Sweet! This is the thread

http://kittycats.biz/forum/showthread.php?tid=19750

I know only a couple people replied but more than 150 views. I know it is one that I will refer to if I ever get something like that.

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." Terry Pratchett
Der Kitty Mill
Latest Born Kitty:
[Image: Kayla_Woodrunner]
 Thanks given by: Vrem Vaniva
01-11-2015, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 05:35 PM by brittanybelike Resident.)
Thanks kayla! Thanks Ivy!
I agree with both of your responses & thank you for responding!!
I love these forums just as much, I learn something new from them pertaining to kc everyday!

Now I'll have a look at vrem's thread, I haven't dug that deep.
01-12-2015, 08:07 AM
My gangsta kitty is epic...Thanks ivy
haha
 Thanks given by: Vrem Vaniva

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)