Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

counts on search pages?
11-06-2014, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 05:07 PM by Vrem Vaniva.)
counts on search pages?
Hi! I'd love it if ...
when I look at my boxes by Size, for example,
I'd love it if i could choose "Toy" and ... in addition to the list of Toy sized kitties, the page would tell me how many toys I have. Just a number somewhere on the page ... "you have 37 Toy kitties."

Or ... search by eye color ... "Odyssey Burst" ... list of kitties with Ody burst eyes and somewhere on the page ... a Total.

Or ... select several filters and get a count at the bottom (how many cats do i have with Ody bellini eyes, porcelain shade, curious tail, mysterious eyes, and pointed soft fold ears?)

I know, you have to weigh the pros and cons of adding one more bit of clutter to a page ... don't want to make it too complicated. Still ... hand-counting them is almost impossible. I'd love to have the counting done for me Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , Dimpz Morane
11-06-2014, 06:01 PM
RE: counts on search pages?
The page is certainly cluttered enough.

The counts you currently see are generated server-side.

Adding the counts you're asking for, though, has to be done client-side. The selection dropdowns are handled in Javascript. The sort-and-select function does not provide counts. What would be required is adding a post-process script to count the number of lines currently displayed.

This not that hard, and the results can be added to the end of the current, fixed, counts at the bottom of the listing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , Vrem Vaniva
11-11-2014, 08:36 AM
The KC could use AJAX technology, this 'pedigree page', to have queries to the database without refresh the page, and thus have the results you want.

Store: TooAdorable
Blog: Mr.Cat - breeding, market and classes
Link: http://mrcat-kitty.blogspot.com.br/
Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Vrem Vaniva
11-11-2014, 02:23 PM
there are a lot of places AJAX would vastly improve the size, speed, responsiveness and accuracy web pages. My thinking is the reason it's not used is they said, very long ago,there would never be an API for KittyCatS and, using AJAX means exactly that. For the specific issue of the OP, however AJAX is using a jackhammer when you need a tap hammer.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Vrem Vaniva

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)