Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Suggested Rules for auctions
10-17-2014, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2014 07:13 AM by fabioazevedo Oh.)
RE: Suggested Rules for auctions
(10-16-2014 06:54 PM)xStormyx Resident Wrote:  I honestly don't know any body who attends every single auction in a day,( maybe some people do lol idk) I think that people look at the advertised line ups and see where they would like to be, I don't think anybody should be forced to spend their time in a particular way, whether it be buyers sellers or auctioneers. Auctions should be an enjoyable experience for all involved, we all have the common love of the kitties so let's have fun with it!

Perfect!

Just trying to understand where it was lost.

Some questions and some answers, here on this topic, are helping a lot, we see clearly what we can do to improve the current chaos.

Island, auctioneer, personal fights, buyers.

Someone needed to play the "coconut" in the fan. laughs. Big Grin

As for me, I am far from wanting to put rules the islands, the auctioneers, and to any person. I have always advocated that people have the right to come and go wherever you want.

Only raised the topic to understand a few points:
if most people agree with the overlay, agrees with the free time of the auction, 1h, 2h, 3h, why an auctioneer, offends and attacks the other, when the auction is at the same time? why the owner of the island, the enemy turns another island, because overlap?

Where we err?

Now I can only go in the wastebasket, my inventory, and see how many friendships were stopping there. Big Grin

(10-16-2014 06:34 PM)Deerne Resident Wrote:  So the proposal is to auction off as speedy as possible and transact kitties this way.
Just so people can "conveniently" hop from one auction to the other?
That would drive me nuts as a customer.
This is clearly a proposal for the convenience of patrons.
Perhaps some people pick one auction per week they really like and leave the others alone.
That makes more sense from a buyers point view and perhaps even for sellers we do not have unlimted money.

Hey Deerne,

I love your answer!

It reflects the vision of customers, who are observing the behavior of those who are ahead, be the auctioneer and the owner of the island.

Makes people reflect where we err, and go back and correct. The auction turned a crazy trade, and stopped being nice, a long time.

Smile

Store: TooAdorable
Blog: Mr.Cat - breeding, market and classes
Link: http://mrcat-kitty.blogspot.com.br/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Deerne Resident
10-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Thank you Fabeo Smile

Indeed a hurry up auction seems not so nice.
I probably would not join again such auction if I was there.
I can imagine that my favorite auction, say once a week, is an event I look forward to during the week.
Should such auction change their ways and would treat people's hard work not decent but rather hurrysome and careless I would likely not join again or bring my kitties on their panel again because it would be insulting to me.

Happy owner, happy cat. Indifferent owner, reclusive cat. - Chinese Proverb
 Thanks given by: fabioazevedo Oh , Jackson Verlack , Kayleigh McMillan , Ivy Norsk
10-17-2014, 12:05 PM
What seems to be lost in the desire to give every auction its own protected time slot is the reality that every auctioneer is different.

? There are auctions which allow the auctioneer to bid. Some people think that’s fine, others dislike it.

? There are business-like auctions that try to move as quickly as possible. Some people want that, others find it dull.

? There are some in which the auctioneer frequently stops to tell personal anecdotes (“My kid did the cutest thing last week!”). Some people love it and attend because they find the auctioneer amusing, others find it annoying.

? There are some in which the auctioneer runs a show, with games and contests and songs. Some people find it entertaining, others don’t.

? There are some in which the auctioneers tells raunchy jokes and uses a lot of double entrendres. Some people enjoy it, others are put off.

? There are some in which the auctioneer gives a lot of informational background on the cat and talks about breeding. Some people think it’s wonderful, others get impatient.

The notion that people would attend any given auction just because it doesn’t have competition in a time slot is deeply flawed. Patrons go to auctions they enjoy if they are held at a time they find convenient. If a patron doesn’t like the auctions’ rules or the auctioneer’s style, the patron won’t attend.

If every movie theater owner in driving distance decided to show “Annabelle” without any other movies competing with it, those of us who dislike horror movies still wouldn’t go.

So…I think any spreadsheet/website listing auctions should do just that—list the auctions. List them even if they overlap. List them even if they start at exactly the same time. I don’t think the list makers should try to impose any rules on how many auctions there are, when they start, or how long they last.
 Thanks given by: Ivy Norsk , Jackson Verlack , Deerne Resident , fabioazevedo Oh , Ryanna Enfield , Nocshadue Balbozar , veronika Darkwatch
10-17-2014, 01:50 PM
(10-17-2014 12:05 PM)Petronilla Whitfield Wrote:  ? There are some in which the auctioneer gives a lot of informational background on the cat and talks about breeding. Some people think it’s wonderful, others get impatient.

I go for this one with a touch of fun for sure Smile

Thanks given by: Jackson Verlack , fabioazevedo Oh
10-17-2014, 08:53 PM
This issue seems to keep coming up again and again. There seem to be more auctions than there are patrons to fill them. Each one will either sink or swim depending on how many people they can attract and keep coming back. Common sense should be used as a guide here. You can't expect all auctioneers who differ vastly in how they like to do things to ALL be bound by stringent rules. Plus, sometimes situations crop up that call for an auctioneer to make an on the fly judgement call.

To me, a good auction is a social event that combines selling cats with the exchange of information, some chit chat and some laughs. I make time in my RL schedule to attend 2 auctions a week. I'm picky, and I can be, because it's my L$.

If you try to cut an auction down to 1 hour only, each auctioneer would have to either cut their panels in half, or the time they spend on each cat in half, thus shortchanging the seller of showing the cat to it's full advantage. If some auctioneers want to do a short auction, and it may work well for some, then offer only the number of panels you can move through comfortably.

I do enjoy stopping by auctions I've never been to before when I have time. I've been to a few that were good, some that were ok, and some that just made me shake my head and never return. I honestly think that's what most buyers do. Water always seeks it's own level. What is my cup of tea may not be yours.

A rating system would be hard to implement fairly. Pretty much everything in SL seems to be taken personally and cause drama. So most info regarding auctions travels by word of mouth.

Trying to mass TP people to attend an auction is just tacky imho.

With there already being several well established auctions running, it's not an easy business to break in to. Give it time, be yourself, have fun. If it works, grats. If it doesn't, try something else. But don't try to tie the hands of others that have been successful.

Best Wishes,
Noc

Nacht's Landing
ScratchN Shop
 Thanks given by: Karizmah Avro , Kayleigh McMillan , Deerne Resident , fabioazevedo Oh , Deer Thistle , veronika Darkwatch , Revan Salamander
10-17-2014, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2014 11:52 PM by Karizmah Avro.)
I am an auctioneer. I share my two auctions a week with my long time friend, and breeding partner. We love our crowd to pieces, and I think its safe to say the love us. As a result; we generally overbook every auction, and usually have 17-18 panels per auction in order to satisfy our demand. We mostly finish in under two hours. I can assure you that we could not make it through this number of panels in one hour, and still provide each cat, each patron the attention that they rightly deserve. We pretty much break most of the rules of conduct generally applied to auctions in the name of fun. Our sim owner attends every auction, for the most part, and is fine with our style and approach because we believe in having fun first. Yes auctions are a vehicle for selling cats. My partner and I believe that while selling cats is important; auctions are a place to come relax with friends, and share our passion for our hobby with a like minded community. Applying such a strict methodology, such as the one suggested by Fabao, would take the fun out of the game of auctions. We are all individuals who each desire different things from KittyCats. Find an auction that is your style, with a community you can appreciate, and hang on to it. I agree that overlapping times is an issue, but I also believe that our community, in the majority, is filled with wonderful people that are kind and respectful. Let the auctioneers sort out their time issues among themselves. When I returned to auctioning and picked my times I approached two other auctioneers with which my times contrasted in order to work out acceptable terms with them. Guess what... We resolved the conflicts without a hitch, and I began to co-op auction with one of those auctioneers, and we still co-op monthly with much success. Lets all please just remember to have fun, and to get along with each other as best we can. Nothing in this meta-verse, or in our real world ever runs completely without issue, but if our minds and hearts are in the right place, then more often than not we can all work anything out together. Wink This is Karizmah stepping down from his soapbox. <3
 Thanks given by: LyricaBlues Resident , Kayleigh McMillan , Deerne Resident , fabioazevedo Oh , Illuminatra Resident , veronika Darkwatch , Revan Salamander , LickN Wonder
10-18-2014, 12:23 AM
(10-17-2014 11:44 PM)Karizmah Avro Wrote:  I am an auctioneer. I share my two auctions a week with my long time friend, and breeding partner. We love our crowd to pieces, and I think its safe to say the love us. As a result; we generally overbook every auction, and usually have 17-18 panels per auction in order to satisfy our demand. We mostly finish in under two hours. I can assure you that we could not make it through this number of panels in one hour, and still provide each cat, each patron the attention that they rightly deserve. We pretty much break most of the rules of conduct generally applied to auctions in the name of fun. Our sim owner attends every auction, for the most part, and is fine with our style and approach because we believe in having fun first. Yes auctions are a vehicle for selling cats. My partner and I believe that while selling cats is important; auctions are a place to come relax with friends, and share our passion for our hobby with a like minded community. Applying such a strict methodology, such as the one suggested by Fabao, would take the fun out of the game of auctions. We are all individuals who each desire different things from KittyCats. Find an auction that is your style, with a community you can appreciate, and hang on to it. I agree that overlapping times is an issue, but I also believe that our community, in the majority, is filled with wonderful people that are kind and respectful. Let the auctioneers sort out their time issues among themselves. When I returned to auctioning and picked my times I approached two other auctioneers with which my times contrasted in order to work out acceptable terms with them. Guess what... We resolved the conflicts without a hitch, and I began to co-op auction with one of those auctioneers, and we still co-op monthly with much success. Lets all please just remember to have fun, and to get along with each other as best we can. Nothing in this meta-verse, or in our real world ever runs completely without issue, but if our minds and hearts are in the right place, then more often than not we can all work anything out together. Wink This is Karizmah stepping down from his soapbox. <3

This is the one common thought i see in many posts...the Need to Cooperate and make efforts to resolve issues amicably..ffs, its not that dire! lol. But it is each person's ability to be flexible and try to find compromise that will determine the likelihood of a peaceful resolution...No need to get catty, or set off drama bombs...Just Negotiate with an eye to synergy and all will be fine.

You mentioned talking to those whose times and yours might conflict and how it worked out. I had the Exact same thing and my first inclination is towards diplomacy and as usual it worked just fine. In fact, we are very close friends now. Why is cooperation such an issue, and why does a community even have to be discussing this as if reasonable adults must be told to play nice?? Well, its because there are a few who say "no rules" so that they can merrily run roughshod over anyone or anything without a single thought. But in the end, they show their true hearts on their own and dont need me or anyone else to help them do that. So, I say go with the flow and see where you navigate to...wishing you all safe passage, blue skies and smooth sailing ...Miss PrettyPoison

SUN 4pm & WED 11am Poison's Paradise
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Th.../46/238/21

THURS 6pm
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sc...220/128/26

Be The Change You Wish to See in the World (Mahatma Gandhi)
 Thanks given by: fabioazevedo Oh , Songdog Woolley , Jania Cleanslate
10-18-2014, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2014 09:37 AM by phoenixfire01 Resident.)
My pennies worth ...........

I know some of you know me and some of you are probably thinking, god it's her but yeah it's me. Stormy said she didn't know anyone who attended every auction in a day. I for a short time attended 5 Auctions in one day all on different Sims. It was at a time where I was working out which Auction's/Auctioneers/Style's of Auctioneering suited me and my needs and it was a nightmare.

I do believe that some rules would be helpful but not all. Time constraints will NEVER work. I have met only one Auctioneer who consistently finishes a 12 panel + AP in only 50 minutes. I have been to many whether I had a kitty in the line up or not. I know there are Auctioneers out there who even if hell freezes over could not and would not finish in 1 hr and usually runs into the 2hr barrier. I would not want this Auctioneer to press everything into 1 hr as honestly, it wouldn't be the same. In this particular weekly Auction, I learn so much about breeding, about trait possibilities and most times, the Auction is a laugh even though I rarely say much. Nino does a great job and wouldn't be the same squashed into 1 hr. Other Auctioneers do a great job too yet they consistently run over the 1 hr mark. HOWEVER, some Auctioneers go on longer than they need to for whichever reasons, those I won't go into as it isn't fair. SO all in all, the 1 hr per Auction is UN-WORKABLE.

I do believe that an Auction cap should be introduced. I see some sims struggle to get more than 1 Auction on the schedule while others take up a HUGE amount of slots on the schedule and what for ?? Why does one sim need 10+ Auctions a week ?? To corner the market !! Accessing which sims get how many slots will need a lot of deliberation, work and fairness so I don't see this happening though it's needed.

Now for the Co-op. What is the Co-op ? Who is in the Co-op ? What is their Mission statement ?? What are they here for ?? How can the average breeder get involved in the Co-op ?? Can the average breeder get involved ?? What are the rules ?? - I hear a lot of people throwing around the word Co-op but no explanation as to what it is, what it's here to do and how it's here to help. I'd love to see my questions answered in a clear, well defined Mission Statement with all information presented.

Understanding needs to be reached between all parties ie Sim Owners, Auctioneers etc. We the community don't need to you best buddies but to hear one Sim owner slating another and Auctioneers Slate another doesn't look good for either party involve. All you need is Communication, Understand for the fact that yes sh*t happens and above all, even just the smallest respect for what the other does. You may despise this person BUT there is no real need for hostility, this is a game and these things should be fun or why are you doing it ??

Ok, time for me to shut up now. I apologize if I offend anyone with anything I have written, I just say it like I see it. I also apologize for my spelling.

Hope you all get back to actually have fun and remembering why you started all this madness in the first place Smile Happy Breeding.

VALYRIAN CATS Owner & CatTales Staff
 Thanks given by: fabioazevedo Oh , davjam79 Resident , Angeliclove80 Resident , Illuminatra Resident , Ivy Norsk , LyricaBlues Resident
10-18-2014, 09:34 AM
(10-17-2014 08:53 PM)Nocshadue Balbozar Wrote:  This issue seems to keep coming up again and again. There seem to be more auctions than there are patrons to fill them. Each one will either sink or swim depending on how many people they can attract and keep coming back. Common sense should be used as a guide here. You can't expect all auctioneers who differ vastly in how they like to do things to ALL be bound by stringent rules. Plus, sometimes situations crop up that call for an auctioneer to make an on the fly judgement call.

To me, a good auction is a social event that combines selling cats with the exchange of information, some chit chat and some laughs. I make time in my RL schedule to attend 2 auctions a week. I'm picky, and I can be, because it's my L$.

If you try to cut an auction down to 1 hour only, each auctioneer would have to either cut their panels in half, or the time they spend on each cat in half, thus shortchanging the seller of showing the cat to it's full advantage. If some auctioneers want to do a short auction, and it may work well for some, then offer only the number of panels you can move through comfortably.

I do enjoy stopping by auctions I've never been to before when I have time. I've been to a few that were good, some that were ok, and some that just made me shake my head and never return. I honestly think that's what most buyers do. Water always seeks it's own level. What is my cup of tea may not be yours.

A rating system would be hard to implement fairly. Pretty much everything in SL seems to be taken personally and cause drama. So most info regarding auctions travels by word of mouth.

Trying to mass TP people to attend an auction is just tacky imho.

With there already being several well established auctions running, it's not an easy business to break in to. Give it time, be yourself, have fun. If it works, grats. If it doesn't, try something else. But don't try to tie the hands of others that have been successful.

Best Wishes,
Noc

I agree with this wholeheartedly!
It is our money we can spend it where we want.
If I visited one auction or even more per day it would simply go beyond my budget for cats.

Mass TP sounds not good indeed, we better watch out with whom we become friends.
It is like spam Undecided

What also comes to mind is that auctioneers may be concious and open for negotiation about times but I think the success is not per se determined by that.
If an auctioneer has a loyal crowd they come back anyway.
Some auctioneers may fail for one reason or the other it is maybe too easy to blame auctioneers who do well.
Some reflection about what went wrong and can be improved in the future may be better.

Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , fabioazevedo Oh , veronika Darkwatch
10-18-2014, 07:04 PM
(10-18-2014 09:30 AM)phoenixfire01 Resident Wrote:  My pennies worth ...........

Now for the Co-op. What is the Co-op ? Who is in the Co-op ? What is their Mission statement ?? What are they here for ?? How can the average breeder get involved in the Co-op ?? Can the average breeder get involved ?? What are the rules ?? - I hear a lot of people throwing around the word Co-op but no explanation as to what it is, what it's here to do and how it's here to help. I'd love to see my questions answered in a clear, well defined Mission Statement with all information presented.

First of all, Nothing you said was offensive...just the truth as many of us see it. I have recently asked that same question about the co-op and have been no more successful in getting a crystalized image of what the practical goals are...the methods...etc. I actually posted the question re: the mission statement and am waiting to hear back because whatever the goals and methods, the soon started the sooner useful.

Quote:Understanding needs to be reached between all parties ie Sim Owners, Auctioneers etc. We the community don't need to you best buddies but to hear one Sim owner slating another and Auctioneers Slate another doesn't look good for either party involve. All you need is Communication, Understand for the fact that yes sh*t happens and above all, even just the smallest respect for what the other does. You may despise this person BUT there is no real need for hostility, this is a game and these things should be fun or why are you doing it ??

Exactly...this is not an auctioneer issue, or a sim owner issue. I feel its just something that all factors much weigh in about or there is no way to reach an equitable resolution to the stress inducing situations we see daily. Communication - Fairness and Respect for what each's role is in this whole dynamic are the best tools but i see some say No Rules, No Guidelines and I cant help but wonder why? Im not saying hard n fast rules or total control...but sim owners are employers like it or not and as such i think they need to weigh in on some things such as a standard of behavior of their employees because rl or sl, we are defined by our inaction as much as our actions. Co-op is an abbreviation for Cooperative/Cooperation...ok, that should create one large market with the free flowing activity everyone would like to see...So, what is the Co op doing towards that end? When does it begin? Because so far alot of what i see in the forums has to do with the polar opposite...and what i see inworld is not much better...I see public displays of hostility, bickering at auctions and other things that have No Place on sim...This makes me feel even more that the comfort of patrons should be guarded by sim owners...public displays are not the sort of entertainment they came for! Patrons go to bid on cats and chill with friends...and that Will require some standards by sim owners...simple things like their auctioneers should not outbid patrons, must not publicly battle with their peers...So to those who say No Rules because we are adults and dont need to be told what to do, I halfway agree. We are adults, but clearly are not always able to act like it. However, rather than rules, I would suggest a standard of behavior expected and if the staff does not agree with it then of course they are free to seek a platform in another sim that better suits their preferences. Isnt that simple?
Quote:Ok, time for me to shut up now. I apologize if I offend anyone with anything I have written, I just say it like I see it. I also apologize for my spelling.
Nah...never shut up...in agreement or not, more input is always better than silence and apathy. You taking your time to express yourself shows you do care enough to speak your mind. And again, No, nothing you said was offensive but rather asked the questions many are thinking but few are asking. Thank you!

SUN 4pm & WED 11am Poison's Paradise
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Th.../46/238/21

THURS 6pm
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sc...220/128/26

Be The Change You Wish to See in the World (Mahatma Gandhi)
 Thanks given by: phoenixfire01 Resident , fabioazevedo Oh

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)