Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

All Auctions Schedule
09-05-2014, 12:04 PM
RE: All Auctions Schedule
Well thought-out responses here, all.

What I am hearing in Charlotte's post is a broad, sweeping "call for respectful treatment of each other." It's hard in a community with 20,000 members to avoid bumping into rudeness somewhere. And then there are a few who have lots of clout, and seem to take pleasure in clobbering people because they can.

The auction schedule has become more than full now -- there was a discussion of it a few months ago in this forum. At first I thought maybe the Auctioneers should join a special club where they would work out schedules and set up a "no toes stepped on" schedule -- with their own regulation. But ... SL just doesn't work that way.

Most auctioneers I know, if they start a new auction area, make a huge effort to choose a time slot that isn't already "taken." Overlaps are almost unavoidable now ... but in the long run, the really great auctioneers will do well and the weaker ones will either become strong, or stop.

We'll attend the ones that work with our schedules, the pleasant and fun ones, the ones where we feel welcome, the ones where we can buy and/or sell our cats -- and very possibly , the ones we don't attend won't persist as long. There's a limit to how many hours a day a person can stand to sit in auctions, too.

If you launch a new television show, you don't want the same time slot with the world's #1 top rated TV show. If had a new kids' cartoon, I would not want to be competing with Captain Kangaroo at the same time (assuming C.K. is the top show, haha).

Most of all, I think, Charlotte may be wishing we'd all adhere more closely to the motto of Bill and Ted :
"Be excellent to each other!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ryanna Enfield , LyricaBlues Resident , Charlotte Calael , NerdyErik Resident , Jackson Verlack
09-05-2014, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2014 04:43 PM by LyricaBlues Resident.)
Having read all the comments, I see that most of us feel as I do - there will always be competition, which is healthy for any market as it encourages quality. I also agree that in such a vast and varied group of people, there will be rude ones just as in RL. But that doesn't okay or necessary to be successful. The cream will always rise to the top...and the ones who are overtly rude or inconsiderate, or who do such things as go to auctions to IM panel renters offering free panels at theirs, will reveal their character quickly and be lost in the crowd. My Rule of thumb: If its not Ok to do in RL, dont do it here. Treat others with the same consideration you expect RL or SL. I for one have some breeders whose cats are my biggest temptations LOL..but if i didnt get a good Genuine feel from them, I wouldn't buy their best cats for 10L.

Its my opinion that we should try to accomdate the influx of new people. Nevermind who is doing what and where, just do our best to "build the better mousetrap" as the saying goes "and the world will beat a path to your door". At the end of the day, smart shoppers will go with the schedule that fits their needs, where the lineup has cats they are looking for and where they can enjoy drama-free congenial company (LOL or at least minimum Drama). Its also my opinion that there are too many auctions and I agree that there is a limit of how many hours one can spend at auctions! I can tell you right now that No Way am I able to sit through 2 or 3 hrs in one auction. So I make it a point to start and end within the hour because in an already overburdened schedule, to keep patrons there much longer is unfair to both the buyers/sellers and to other sims with activities and it limits what can check out on SL. Its like forcing the public to "choose a side" when all they want is to get nice cats and have some fun. Its just not necessary or considerate to take up 2 or 3 auction slots for 1 auction. People have a RL too and other SL places they want to go to. Suddenly kittycats has become more of a Job than hobby for enjoyment. A little common sense tells me that this would benefit both buyers and sellers and help improve the overall SL experience for everyone if we tried to consider all views. Again, in the end, the skill and quality of the auctions will determine where buyers go. I for one am grateful there is more than one supermarket where I live, and more than one movie theatre. It should be the same here.
09-05-2014, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2014 07:20 PM by Charlotte Calael.)
I think a few understood what i was talking about, I'm glad some understood, but feel free to talk about another stuff also, if you like. For example how a long a auctions should or not should be. But yeah i agree with you 3 hours auctions is way to long. even in the lord of the rings they pause the movie to get a bathroom break, and I'm sure people in SL need that also. Well i found all your comments very helpful and interesting, as it seems most of you Think its a kill or be killed type of rule about being a breeder in sl and also how auctions should be. Thanks for the input. Feel free to comment more if anyone like to ad anything or talk about other things related.

Visit my store @ http://slurl.com/secondlife/Vygg/25/118/83 [Image: avatar_753.jpg?dateline=1331973492]
09-05-2014, 07:52 PM
(09-05-2014 07:10 PM)Charlotte Calael Wrote:  I think a few understood what i was talking about, I'm glad some understood, but feel free to talk about another stuff also, if you like. For example how a long a auctions should or not should be. But yeah i agree with you 3 hours auctions is way to long. even in the lord of the rings they pause the movie to get a bathroom break, and I'm sure people in SL need that also. Well i found all your comments very helpful and interesting, as it seems most of you Think its a kill or be killed type of rule about being a breeder in sl and also how auctions should be. Thanks for the input. Feel free to comment more if anyone like to ad anything or talk about other things related.

LOL yes! Bathroom breaks! That cracked me up. Thank You!
09-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Charlotte Wrote:it seems most of you Think its a kill or be killed type of rule about being a breeder in sl.

There is competition. This is inevitable given the number of cats for sale. That doesn't mean that people or auctioneers have a bloodthirsty attitude - or even a competitive attitude. They are just going about setting cats for sale. New sims have joined and quite naturally they want auctions too for their areas. One mustn't pretend that adhering to the current auction schedule and insisting that nobody can have an auction at the same time isn't competitive: it's leveraging seniority to shut out newer people.

I think the way forward in this situation is to work with marketing and publicity to bring more people into auctions. I agree with Kayleigh that it is sad and awkward to be at a poorly attended auction where there is pressure to buy a cat that maybe one didn't want just to help out. I think the word needs to get out that auctions are fun and not frightening or uber-expensive.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: Jackson Verlack
09-05-2014, 09:51 PM
And auctions are instructive. A frequent question on everyone's mind is "How much is this cat worth?" Well, auctions are just about the only way to actually see the SELLING price for cats. (All you see walking past stores are the ASKING prices .. you have no way to know if the cat ever sold, and what price it actually sold at.)

In fact, it amazes me that the auctioneers have not banded together and come up with some form of listing showing the sale prices. It would be a boon to the community as a whole. And it would help auctioneers in so many ways. Part of the job of an auctioneer is to get the best possible price for her customer, the seller. Having more information allows her to do her job better.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Charlotte Calael , Kayleigh McMillan , Jackson Verlack
09-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Part of the problem is with attendance: gorgeous cats sometimes aren't bought or the price isn't bid up to what probably would be their worth if there aren't enough people there to bid.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: Charlotte Calael , Kayleigh McMillan , Illuminatra Resident
09-06-2014, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 04:16 AM by Dimpz Morane.)
Well knows my comment is not going to be popular but here goes.

Personally I think there are way too many auctions, hence me being auctioned out and hardly attend any.

Sim owners place too much pressure on renters to attend auctions and to provide cats for auctions. This can lead to any cat being put up for auction.

Auctions are a great way to meet up with other breeders, and an educational tool for newbies, (if auctioneers give correct info)). It's a wonderful way to see the avatars from the main chat group, and many people really enjoy the social event of this.

Maybe each sim woud do better to have just one major auction per week, but I hear many of you cry this not good business sense blah blah. As someone already mentioned earier - its Quality not Quantity that matter most, stop treating auctions as a popularity poll for your sims.
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , Charlotte Calael , Illuminatra Resident , Vrem Vaniva , Brunabug Nightfire , HikariItsumo Resident
09-06-2014, 05:27 AM
(09-06-2014 02:35 AM)Dimpz Morane Wrote:  Well knows my comment is not going to be popular but here goes.

Personally I think there are way too many auctions, hence me being auctioned out and hardly attend any.

Sim owners place too much pressure on renters to attend auctions and to provide cats for auctions. This can lead to any cat being put up for auction.

Auctions are a great way to meet up with other breeders, and an educational tool for newbies, (if auctioneers give correct info)). It's a wonderful way to see the avatars from the main chat group, and many people really enjoy the social event of this.

Maybe each sim woud do better to have just one major auction per week, but I hear many of you cry this not good business sense blah blah. As someone already mentioned earier - its Quality not Quantity that matter most, stop treating auctions as a popularity poll for your sims.

I agree personally I love how the Nacht's do it.
Their panels are always full of breathtaking cats.
Now I need to convience them to auction a little earlier so the European people can easier attend.

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom ยป

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Thanks given by: Charlotte Calael , Illuminatra Resident
09-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Tad the reason why there is not such a list is that people is affraid that if there is a list people would just try lower their prices under the list to sell more. Also it would be alot of hard work to put one togheter. And how would you calculate it for example 2 identical cats except their Eye color, would it be 2 diffrent prices or same price? I wanted such a list also but im not sure anyone willing to put time in making one and then it would needed to be updated almost evryday cause the market changing so fast. Great Idea though! Smile

Visit my store @ http://slurl.com/secondlife/Vygg/25/118/83 [Image: avatar_753.jpg?dateline=1331973492]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)