06-26-2014, 06:03 PM
RE: Linden Labs new virtual world.
Callie, my own personal zen master?!!? Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2014, 02:22 PM
(06-23-2014 04:25 PM)Jackson Verlack Wrote:  
(06-23-2014 03:33 AM)Callie Cline Wrote:  worry comes from fear, fear of the future and all that is at this time is pure speculation.

lol this tottaly gave me image of yoda XD sorry!
[Image: 3453283-tumblr_mapln1nr8i1qgzqnco1_500.gif]

Great words Callie, I completely agree

I don't think Callies ears are that big? Tongue

*Crazy waves to everyone!

I was reading all this and the links. (yes it's summer and I'm bored already) lol

It reminded me of all the newer and more improved (cheaper) worlds that have come and gone. (well maybe not gone, but may as well be)

People ran through the virtual streets with torches and pitchforks in anger of LL. Threats of leaving if LL didn't get better...blah blah blah. Well I would bet good money those same people are back in SL with alts. lol

I checked out those promised lands and no one was there. There was nothing to do and uninstalled them.

Unless everyone in SL left all together, I don't think SL will ever close it's doors. This place is a big money maker for them.

SL is more than just a program and a money maker though. The people make SL what it is. The friendships, (the kitties), and all that the community puts into it.

Devine Kitty Stuff MarketPlace
Devine Kitties at The Kat Shack
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , anna Acanthus , Marisa Starbrook , Eurydice Barzane
06-28-2014, 06:06 AM
translation servicesTranslate | French translation Spanish translation translate German translate Chinese
(I will do my best to keep my opinions out of this post while promising I will voice it sometime soon in some other more appropriate venue. For this I will stick to the facts. JL)
Many of you have heard by now that Ebbe Linden (CEO @ LL) slipped news at Friday’s Third Party Viewer Meeting that LL is moving resources to developing a new platform, a next-generation platform built “in the spirit of Second Life.” I will provide links to related media and articles at the bottom of this post, and I highly encourage you to read them to form your own opinions. But for now, here are a few facts as we know them.
The current plan is that the new platform will not be open source at least initially. (This means there will be no Third Party Viewer alternatives at least initially, and there will be a new viewer built by LL.) This could change over the course of time.
LL intends to continue maintaining and developing Second Life while they develop the new platform and will operate them in parallel even after the new platform is launched. SL will remain as long as it is profitable for LL to continue operating it.
The new platform will be built “in the spirit of Second Life” and will put focus on content creators as the primary customer. LL wants to make it so good SL users will want to migrate to it.
Assets (inventory) from Second Life will “likely” not be transferable because they do not want to constrain what is possible by maintaing backwards compatibility. This wasn’t said with complete certainty, though, which suggests some content may be permitted.
Second Life will continue to be improved, albeit on a smaller scale. Oz Linden is now Technical Director and in charge of a small team who will keep development in SL going.
This new platform is still in very early stages, and it is unlikely even a beta will be seen before next year.
For some, this will be very exciting news and for others it will come as very scary news. For most it will create a level of uncertainty toward the future of our current virtual world. I’ve read and heard some people stating they will now stop buying content, stop building, sell their land, etc., wondering what’s the point. Please don’t do this! Whether you are on the side of keeping SL alive and well or not, this type of action/reaction is the worst you can do for all of us.
Personally, while I would love to see a new platform succeed I would also like to see Second Life thrive well into the future, but it is going to need a boost! Here is where you come in!
Your opinion matters more than ever! Think of one thing, whether a feature, fix, improvement or whatever, that you feel will achieve the following goals best and drop it in a comment on this post.
What will add the greatest value to existing users?
What will attract new users to Second Life?
What will improve profit margins for LL by encouraging spending among all its users? This can include anything from Premium signups to land sales to user-generated content sales.
What can do these things without breaking existing content and without requiring changes in LL policies?
THINK BIG
We are looking for a magic silver bullet to give Oz that can be introduced to SL to make it bigger and better than ever before!
Lets hope you have it! Good luck, and in the meantime keep doing as you always do! Also, don’t panic!

""""ALSO,NON-TRANSFER things might be lost,i not wanna loose me pets, and LL will NOT pay for lost stuff,cause Technically everything in SL is theirs regardless of who made it, read the TOS"""""
 Thanks given by: Devilness Chant , Marisa Starbrook
06-28-2014, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2014 08:42 AM by Tad Carlucci.)
That's not what the ToS says. What it says is 'you' (the owner of the copy rights) give them (the service provider) a license to copy your work, limited for the purposes of providing and promoting the service; and you give 'us' (users of Second Life) a license to copy your work, limited for the purposes of using the service. Otherwise, the copies Linden Labs makes (storing your work, moving it from server to server) would be illegal; and the copies we make, say when 'you' walk past us, wearing the skin you created, would also be illegal.

Nothing in the ToS transfers ownership of the copy rights.

Linden Labs, and all Second Life users (except 'you') would be in violation of US and International law, and subject to civil and/or criminal penalties if they were to, for example, make a copy of your work and place it on another service (say, a non-Linden OpenSim service).

What makes the ToS a bit more complex is that Linden Labs wants one contract (ToS) for all their services, and they want it to allow 'us' (users of Second Life) to be able to take screen shots or make movies and not have to worry about chasing down the thousands of copy right holders whose works happen to appear in the image.

What also makes the ToS complex, is the 'Linden Labs' is a nebulous term. For example, the Asset Servers, which used to be in the Linden Labs offices, on computers owned by Linden Labs, are now located in Houston on computers owned by another company. So the ToS has to allow that company, on behalf of Linden Labs, to make copies as part of providing the Second Life services, say to move the Assert Server from one computer to another, or to make backup copies in case of some failure or disaster.

So, would it be legal for Linden Labs to make a copy of your skin creation and place it in their new service? Yes, probably. Since they don't need to worry about their lame permissions system, that's not an issue. The issue is would your skin work on the avatar-equivalent on that new service; for that, I'm betting (hoping) the answer is 'no', but it's a technical issue, not a legal one, which they're not talking about because, quite simply, they don't know, yet, whether it will make any sense at all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Devilness Chant , Marisa Starbrook , Eurydice Barzane
06-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Suddenly it makes sense why LL changed their TOS and let us agree to do with our content, long story short, what they feel fits.
I think this change is made when they knew they were creating a new world.
That new world in my opinion is doomed to fail just as other copies of Second Life did.
Many content creators took the gamble in transfering their content via "Second Inventory" to other grids just in case that new world was the next new thing.
I did this as merchant with Avination together with some other more or less famous brands.
I was one of the smaller brands invited by a big one.
Let's just say we all learn from our mistakes.
Avination turned out to be a ghost town full of merchants only who were there just in case the normal consuming costumers would go there and settle.
Of course they did not, why should they buy everything again, leave their homes and everything they knew there was absolutely no interest for that in them.
And this new world may be high end super duper and better but technology isn't the only reason why SL is a successs it mainly is what residents made of it and this wasn't done in a year but in more than a decade of devotion.
It was kind of sour in my honest opinion that they had to introduce this new world on their 11-th birthday, gosh it should be party time, what a partypoopers the labs is.

In the mean while I try to consider if I want to obtain a mesh body: nice for pictures and all no weird knees and elboos.
Appliers are available for my skin \o/

For me: I go where my kittycats go my virtual world makes no sense without them anymore <333
We can't only work after all having fun is important too Smile

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Thanks given by: Devilness Chant , anna Acanthus , Gloria Marchant , Marisa Starbrook , Eurydice Barzane
06-28-2014, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2014 09:17 AM by anna Acanthus.)
So when you coming back Dev ? Tongue

Got some yummy boxes just waiting for ya Big Grin
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , Devilness Chant
06-28-2014, 09:20 AM
(06-28-2014 09:14 AM)anna acanthus Wrote:  So when you coming back Dev ? Tongue

Yes Dev, what the heck?
You know you will come back sooner or later Dodgy
I need my lucky pants convo's, cows & Voodoo sticks damnit!

* hides for Tad

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Thanks given by: Devilness Chant , anna Acanthus
06-28-2014, 09:27 AM
NytStalker posted some really good points...

For some, this will be very exciting news and for others it will come as very scary news. For most it will create a level of uncertainty toward the future of our current virtual world. I’ve read and heard some people stating they will now stop buying content, stop building, sell their land, etc., wondering what’s the point. Please don’t do this! Whether you are on the side of keeping SL alive and well or not, this type of action/reaction is the worst you can do for all of us.
Personally, while I would love to see a new platform succeed I would also like to see Second Life thrive well into the future, but it is going to need a boost! Here is where you come in!
Your opinion matters more than ever! Think of one thing, whether a feature, fix, improvement or whatever, that you feel will achieve the following goals best and drop it in a comment on this post.
What will add the greatest value to existing users?
What will attract new users to Second Life?
What will improve profit margins for LL by encouraging spending among all its users? This can include anything from Premium signups to land sales to user-generated content sales.
What can do these things without breaking existing content and without requiring changes in LL policies?
THINK BIG
We are looking for a magic silver bullet to give Oz that can be introduced to SL to make it bigger and better than ever before!
Lets hope you have it! Good luck, and in the meantime keep doing as you always do! Also, don’t panic!

""""ALSO,NON-TRANSFER things might be lost,i not wanna loose me pets, and LL will NOT pay for lost stuff,cause Technically everything in SL is theirs regardless of who made it, read the TOS"""""

If we want to keep SL going the worst thing to do is stop spending and taking a negative defeatist stance in all this.

This is a time to be positive. How many times have people complained that LL didn't listen to them? Now it seems like they want to hear feedback on the changes people want to see and do something about it. (within reason I'm sure lol) (I personally would like some free land and minions to do my bidding! hehehe)

I've seen first hand what happens when a virtual world loses money and can't keep running. I'm not sure how many here played on There .com? I loved it! It was the Flinstones of virtual worlds, but there were a lot of good people there and fun things to do. I believe in a struggle to make money to keep it going they destroyed it for a lot of us. Little by little my friends left and it just wasn't fun anymore. (it became a lag fest) I left before it shut it's doors. (I won't pay a monthly fee for it because with the people I hung out with gone it's not the same)

Anyway...my points are....you lose all your virtual things....they were suppose to reimburse you cash for your Tbux, but I never saw a dime of it.

If people panic here and stop spending and playing, then you will doom SL in the same way. It takes money for servers, workers, developers, etc. If you want to keep SL alive then you have to keep supporting it and try to maintain a positive attitude.

Take this time to give your constructive comments on changes and improvements you want to see.

Take advantage of the fact that someone is listening now.

And I still want that free land and minions! Heart

Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , anna Acanthus
06-28-2014, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2014 09:31 AM by Tad Carlucci.)
What I see is Linden Labs following Microsoft into the smaller-is-better world of mobile devices. Look at the mess Microsoft has made, every two years scrapping their established technologies in favor or new ones: Windows Forms, Silverlight, Windows Presentation Foundation, Modern (aka Metro-style) Apps. None of them are compatible. Each came along because they were chasing a new technology (Desktop computers, Web applications, Distributed cross-platform applications, Mobile devices).

The issue is everyone seems to be thinking the new environment will replace Second Life. Linden Labs has tried that before; it didn't work then, it probably won't work now.

What it will be is a different environment. It will succeed or fail on its own merits. It won't replace Second Life. Those who like the severe limitations of a mobile device might like it. Those who can't get on Second Life, today, because their only hardware is a mobile device will still be unaware of what Second Life can do.

There won't be a cut-off. You won't get an email saying the new service is coming up and Second Life is going down.

I'm sure Linden Labs would **love** everyone migrating. And, I'm sure, at least initially, there will be a mad rush to check out the new service.

But the point about Avination should be a warning to Linden Labs. If they simply put it out and wait to see what happens, it'll probably be a gold rush followed by a bust when 'mere users' find there is no there there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Devilness Chant , Kayleigh McMillan
06-28-2014, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2014 09:33 AM by Devilness Chant.)
(06-28-2014 09:20 AM)Kayleigh McMillan Wrote:  

Yes Dev, what the heck?
You know you will come back sooner or later Dodgy
I need my lucky pants convo's, cows & Voodoo sticks damnit!

* hides for Tad

I updated firestorm and will be coming back soon! I just need to get a little money together first so I can get a little place and be able to feed a few kitties. I do miss my friends and my kitties!

I hope you finally washed those lucky pants? If not I will stand upwind when we talk. lol

Hugz to everyone!

We're taking over forums again! MWHAAAAA rofl

Everytime I post I go back and see new posts to answer! lol I miss you gals!

Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , anna Acanthus

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)