Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Forum Statistics.
06-14-2014, 03:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2014 03:24 AM by anna Acanthus.)
Forum Statistics.
Now i don't know about other people but i often used to check the Forum Stats to search back in the many interesting and informative threads that used to be there but now i have to do a long search through my own posts and threads to find these threads which could also be of interest and good reading for relative newcomers who've found their way to this page.

As it is now, out of the fifteen shown in most replied to threads, EIGHT of them are sales spam threads which have pushed the good stuff into oblivion.
To be fair a couple do have new and painstakingly worked informations given with each post but most are just BUMP posts.
If it's just to post a BUMP then the former BUMP posts can be deleted instead of just churning pages and pages of BUMP BUMP BUMP, and your BUMP will be seen anyhow in the sales threads so i see no reason to clutter the Forum Stats with this.

The biscuit goes to a certain Bidboard thread which is doubled; two identical threads, identically named with roughly the same amount of BUMP posts, so the intention is pretty flagrant i believe.

Heck, i'm even letting my showroom post get pushed off the Most Viewed as i did on the Most Replied to, as i feel it really doesn't need to be seen there, and if i start posting my kitty pics again i'll start a new thread.

Anyhow i don't think that MyBB enables the deletion of selected threads in Forum Stats only, but maybe increasing the number of threads shown would give us back some golden oldies ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , Dimpz Morane , Deer Thistle , Giuliana Verrazzano
06-14-2014, 07:48 AM
RE: Forum Statistics.
Adding onto this, I think that any posts under the KittyCatS Market forum and its subforums shouldn't count as part of the number of posts shown in someone's user information/profile.

If you look at literally any other forum, they don't count these posts in their sales sections. Why? Because the member didn't technically contribute anything to the forum in terms of interacting with others which is the primary purpose of developing a forum in the first place.

Anyone can inflate their post count to infinite (and beyond!) with a plethora of bumps on a sales post, love shack thread, auction promotion, etc without having actually added anything to the forum in terms of exchanging ideas directly with others. This is a minor suggestion but just food for thought..Heart

Hopefully I don't step on anyone's toes by stating this, it isn't a big deal, it's just quite odd. From being on many, many forums, it always struck me as weird that this is the only forum that allows members to inflate their post count and little star ranking thingy in sales threads. On other forums, the post count and star ranking is to denote who has contributed the most and who may be the most resourceful about that particular forum/hobby. I think that allowing the inflation of the post count via sales posts takes away from this a bit.

[Image: ohdeersig.gif]
KittyCatS History Thread
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , anna Acanthus
06-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Very good point Deer.
If the Market section posts could be discounted this would also resolve the Forum Stats issue.
The only problem could be that the few who're hell bent on getting stars may start littering the main forum threads to obtain their count.
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan
06-16-2014, 10:21 AM
(06-14-2014 01:10 PM)anna acanthus Wrote:  Very good point Deer.
If the Market section posts could be discounted this would also resolve the Forum Stats issue.
The only problem could be that the few who're hell bent on getting stars may start littering the main forum threads to obtain their count.

I hope stars aren't /that/ important to some..LOL! Whenever I join a new forum, I sometimes determine who could be the most resourceful about the particular hobby because of their post count, it also indicates who is the most active. As a newcomer, I find this important because I can often message the person and they enthusiastically answer questions with accuracy and with the same zeal as their many forum posts.

The post count denotes how much the person has interacted with others in the community in not just a primarily self-benefiting way (auctions, bid boards, sales, etc) but has actually contributed to conversation, helpful topics, and whatnot. A forum is 'a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged', and post count on every other forum is determined based off of this definition. KittyCatS forum is the only forum I've ever been on that counts marketplace posts as part of the total post count.

[Image: ohdeersig.gif]
KittyCatS History Thread
06-16-2014, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 10:29 AM by Ethereal Hurricane.)
Yes, you 'should' be able to easily block specific sub forums from showing up, although I haven't messed with MyBB in a few years. Also, I didn't realized people spammed to get their post count up anymore, lol. This isn't the vault networks (IGN) forum! I personally try to get as many thanks as I do posts, but I'm not doing so hot these days. (obviously joking)

[Image: heart.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-16-2014, 01:41 PM
(06-16-2014 10:25 AM)Ethereal Hurricane Wrote:  Yes, you 'should' be able to easily block specific sub forums from showing up, although I haven't messed with MyBB in a few years. Also, I didn't realized people spammed to get their post count up anymore, lol. This isn't the vault networks (IGN) forum! I personally try to get as many thanks as I do posts, but I'm not doing so hot these days. (obviously joking)

Yush, blocking some sub forums would be ideal.
Some categories drive me nuts as they overshadow important topics if I look for today's posts Undecided

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom ยป

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Thanks given by: anna Acanthus

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)