Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Tips'nTricks Section
04-15-2014, 03:01 AM
RE: Tips'nTricks Section
(04-15-2014 02:20 AM)MsCasey Baily Wrote:  Hi,
This isn't a tip or trick, but a question. I redecorate regularly and am sure others do too, My question is, is there a way to know before buying what sort of shelves you can rez on and which you can't. Yes, yet again cats went right to inventory with the diabolical message about owner not allowing. I am hoping there is something on edit I can look for or stay away from.
Thanks in advance if anyone has an easy answer.

Yes i get that message sometimes, it's silly as i'm owner of all objects and the land so i take it just as an occassional glitch.

As for shelves, the only sure way to be able to rez anything on them is if they're made of good old fashioned regular prims, sculpts and mesh just throw them off in general, and it's very irritating to have to rez a lot of boxes on the ground then heave them into place.

One workaround, if the shelving is to be against the wall is to rez the boxes/kitties against the wall first then put the shelf into place after, it makes placing less tedious i find.

I shall test to see if changing the physics on a mesh shelf to "prim" allows to rez upon, but as that can up the prim count and i'm not sure if changing back to "convex hull" afterwards will reset this prim count, i'm no way sure about this.

Anyhow i'm no pro and someone else may have the ideal solution.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
This is a combination of Second Life bugs and bad design by other players; there is little, if anything, KittyCatS can do about it. It can happen with anything, not just cats and kitten boxes. The bug happens a LOT but is only a real issue for No Copy items, like cats.

Your Dock is safe. You probably want it there, so use it.

What is always safe to rez on: the simulator Ground, and normal Prims, like a Box

What is usually safe to rez on: Mesh objects .. some are very badly built and might have problems but the problems with mesh are more "I wanted to Cuddle and my cat is spinning in circles" .. in my experience, most of the "Adorable" mesh shops are OK, but some cause problems, while most of the "Scratch'N Post" mesh shops have problems, but some are OK. It seems to depend upon the time and care the mesh designer put into the item. I think it's more related to the (normally invisible) Physics model rather than anything you can see.

What is usually not safe to rez on: Sculpted prim objects (sculpties) .. some are OK, but most will have issues. There seems to be some 'trick' to sculpties which avoids triggering these bugs, but I don't know it.

The "owner does not allow" message attempts to return the item to your inventory. This triggers another Second Life (viewer) bug which causes inventory to **appear** to be lost. In general, log out immediately and log back in. The item should be back where it belongs. If it does not, flush your inventory cache and relog. Wait for your inventory to fully reload. If the item is still gone, and it was a cat, or kitten box, file a ticket. If it was something else, and it was a No Copy item, you'll have to contact the original seller or just accept it's lost forever (but this rarely happens).

My advice is to always rez a normal prim box, rez your no-copy items on it and move them into place. This tests you have the correct group tag and have land rights, and gives you a known-good surface to avoid the issues.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks Anna and Tad...
I have your shadowbox Tad and it works perfectly, so I know getting it right is doable.
I guess going forward, I won't buy what I can't test.
Thanks again.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)