Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue (or The Trouble with Starters!)
02-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Shocked Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue (or The Trouble with Starters!)
[Image: 12603399023_c11492b107.jpg]

Yes, Scamp (the last of my Christmas kitties) has now made NINE babies. NINE.

EIGHT of them are his genesis fur!!!! (Grrrrr!)

EIGHT of them are boys. (Not that it matters much, since he's throwing his gen fur almost every time!)

Today I birthed the ONE kitten that is carrying Scamp's hidden fur. See that tiny little Balinese Seal sitting on top of the brown-eyed photo of me? His name is PHOENIX... and he is rising from the 'ashes' of his daddy (only literally, of course!) to deliver that darned hidden fur!

So, yes... this is my most frustrating experience with a starter cat in almost THREE years of breeding KittyCatS!
And it has turned my brown eyes blue.... and my black hair GREY! Wink

CAT'S CATS
"The smallest feline is a masterpiece." (Leonardo da Vinci)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2014, 09:09 PM
RE: Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue (or The Trouble with Starters!)
Wow, another boy, but congratulation!

Crepe MyrtleHeart
Rawr! Kitty Owner
02-17-2014, 10:27 PM
I have totally been there I didn't find the hidden of one of mine until he was 105 days old. I had tried breeding back, breeding siblings and a ton of stuff but it took borrowing a Bali Seal from a friend to finally get his hidden it was Ocicat Blue.

I have also tried breeding Ody Sublime (pure as in the hidden and shown were the same) to a starter and I kept getting it back no matter what I did, at the time I didn't have any extra Ody Rainbow around to test it when I finally did I found the starter was hiding Ody Sublime as well LOL

Heart KittyCatS lover and LazyCats auctioneer. Heart
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: CatSoleil Bellecoeur
02-18-2014, 04:16 PM
(02-17-2014 10:27 PM)Sanura Snowpaw Wrote:  I have totally been there I didn't find the hidden of one of mine until he was 105 days old.
I have also tried breeding Ody Sublime ... I found the starter was hiding Ody Sublime as well LOL

Rolleyes Oh, the agony and the ecstasy of breeding our beloved KittyCatS, eh, Sanura? ESPECIALLY the starters!

I'll update (hopefully BEFORE he's 105 days old!) when I finally discover this fella's stubborn hidden fur.

CAT'S CATS
02-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Ooh I can relate to that. A Halloween pair of mine produced beautiful Smokey III's with gorgeous fancy whiskers (blonde or latte, fussy) but never any furs. I could pair them with my Foxies Salties, my lone Snowshoe Cream or my Bali creams and...Smokey III! Breed that baby back to the fancy fur parent and...Smokey III! I am now on generation 5 or 6 and...Smokey III! LOL. I have pretty much surrendered the line now to focus on other projects but have one girl, Ruffles, who is producing Smokey IIIs to this day.

“I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.” Jean Cocteau
02-18-2014, 05:32 PM
(02-18-2014 04:16 PM)CatSoleil Bellecoeur Wrote:  
(02-17-2014 10:27 PM)Sanura Snowpaw Wrote:  I have totally been there I didn't find the hidden of one of mine until he was 105 days old.
I have also tried breeding Ody Sublime ... I found the starter was hiding Ody Sublime as well LOL

Rolleyes Oh, the agony and the ecstasy of breeding our beloved KittyCatS, eh, Sanura? ESPECIALLY the starters!

I'll update (hopefully BEFORE he's 105 days old!) when I finally discover this fella's stubborn hidden fur.

I hope you find it before he hits 105 as well! This is exactly why retired traits are SO important to help us figure out their little puzzles!

Heart KittyCatS lover and LazyCats auctioneer. Heart
02-18-2014, 05:48 PM
I can completely sympathise with you. I faithfully work out the probability of an event occurring and then sit back and start breeding. Sometimes the most unexpected (and unwanted) set of random events keep popping up again and again and the mathematics goes out off the window! For example, when I wanted a girl, I obtained some eight boys in a row.

However, there have been times when I have gambled my pairings on a freak chance, only to get it in the very first ever box! Once, I wanted a nine trait kitty for as a breeding partner and the chance of getting it was 1 in 16. Thankfully, it was the first box that was produced.

It can be a case of "swings and roundabouts."

Magical stories from an independent author
02-18-2014, 06:07 PM
just kick them Tongue
02-18-2014, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 07:47 PM by CatSoleil Bellecoeur.)
(02-18-2014 06:07 PM)Callie Cline Wrote:  just kick them Tongue

Well, Callie, your answer literally made me laugh out loud! Big Grin

And while I didn't actually "kick them," I did kick 'em out of my cattery (banished from paradise!) and they have to live on my land until I find out that hidden fur.

Heart Everyone else: Thanks for sharing your stories... they do make me feel a little bit better about all the resources I'm pouring into getting this genesis fur week after week. After week....

(02-18-2014 05:48 PM)Maxwell Grantly Wrote:  ... I faithfully work out the probability of an event occurring and then sit back and start breeding. ... Once, I wanted a nine trait kitty for as a breeding partner and the chance of getting it was 1 in 16. ...

Yikes! You're a mathematician as well as a fine storyteller! (If I had to dwell on probabilities, in the mathematical sense, I wouldn't ... couldn't ... be a KittyCatS breeder! Wink ) Kudos to you, talented Maxwell!

CAT'S CATS
02-19-2014, 12:10 AM
I can totally relate to this lol. I had a Halloween starter that passed ody bellini and was all excited! Took forever to confirm that is was actually the ody bellini that he hid so no new eye for me. I now have a Christmas starter doing the same thing. I almost think that when a new "most recessive" eye is introduced, the one that was "most recessive" should be retired lol.

Also back in the day I had a Rain Deer Christmas kitty that NEVER threw anything but her gen fur ... smh. But yeah I'm still trying and still get all hopeful when they pass something interesting =op

Nacht's Landing
ScratchN Shop

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)