Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Dominant / Recessive traits
06-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Dominant / Recessive traits
*Note: This is a little more scientific of a discussion. If you want to leave kitties magical, I wouldn't continue reading.*

After a few months of happy breeding I've finally managed to get my Russians to pass their coats without partnering them with another Russian. It took two generations and it gave me some interesting ideas about how traits show up in KittyCats. I'd like to compare notes with others who may have noticed some tendencies in the breeding because it really seems to me like there is a pretty stratified Dominant/recessive structure for how traits are passed and displayed.

I have a kitty, Miss Cleo, who is the mother to a LOT of my kitties (she's one of my favorites). She's a Burmese Champagne + 5 traits. With her last partner, she passed a lot of traits, but I hadn't figured out her hidden coat yet. Once I paired her with a Russian, she has given me almost entirely Snowshoe Chocs. Her offspring, when paired with Russians, also pass the Snowshoe Choc almost every time. Therefore, I'm fairly certain that her (and her offsprings') hidden coat is Snowshoe Choc.

At this point, the Russian coat was still not passing. It seems like the Snowshoe Choc was rarer/more recessive than any other coat in her breeding circle until the Russians were added, but that afterwards the Snowshoe Choc was less recessive than the Russians. After these Snowshoes grew up, I mated them and managed to pull the Russian coat, finally!

I've noticed similar recessive/Dominant traits with eyes as well. I'm just kind of wondering what you guys have seen. If a pretty rare/recessive trait is showing, does that mean the hidden trait is most likely AT LEAST that rare? or do I just have weird luck? I've especially noticed this with the odyssey eyes passing other odyssey eyes and shades really needing another shade to pass.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2011, 04:58 AM
RE: Dominant / Recessive traits
Definitely noticed it with the shades.
07-03-2012, 06:32 PM
(06-28-2011 10:11 AM)Kyorisa Yven Wrote:  *Note: This is a little more scientific of a discussion. If you want to leave kitties magical, I wouldn't continue reading.*

After a few months of happy breeding I've finally managed to get my Russians to pass their coats without partnering them with another Russian. It took two generations and it gave me some interesting ideas about how traits show up in KittyCats. I'd like to compare notes with others who may have noticed some tendencies in the breeding because it really seems to me like there is a pretty stratified Dominant/recessive structure for how traits are passed and displayed.

I have a kitty, Miss Cleo, who is the mother to a LOT of my kitties (she's one of my favorites). She's a Burmese Champagne + 5 traits. With her last partner, she passed a lot of traits, but I hadn't figured out her hidden coat yet. Once I paired her with a Russian, she has given me almost entirely Snowshoe Chocs. Her offspring, when paired with Russians, also pass the Snowshoe Choc almost every time. Therefore, I'm fairly certain that her (and her offsprings') hidden coat is Snowshoe Choc.

At this point, the Russian coat was still not passing. It seems like the Snowshoe Choc was rarer/more recessive than any other coat in her breeding circle until the Russians were added, but that afterwards the Snowshoe Choc was less recessive than the Russians. After these Snowshoes grew up, I mated them and managed to pull the Russian coat, finally!

I've noticed similar recessive/Dominant traits with eyes as well. I'm just kind of wondering what you guys have seen. If a pretty rare/recessive trait is showing, does that mean the hidden trait is most likely AT LEAST that rare? or do I just have weird luck? I've especially noticed this with the odyssey eyes passing other odyssey eyes and shades really needing another shade to pass.

I am learning more about Basic Genetics to help me what are the Dominant and Recessive fur types and traits on the KittyCats and I am finally grasping a better understanding of it all..I look forward to learning more about the different traits and fur types to hopefully pull more traits other than 5,6,7. Smile
07-05-2012, 05:56 AM
-If anyone wonders - this thread is just over a year old, so now that it is "necro'ed" it can now stand as a perfect example of how much we have all learned about KittyCatS "genetics" over the past year Big Grin

Saga's Google Docs - Click here
 Thanks given by: Sanura Snowpaw , Kendrah Vantelli
07-05-2012, 05:34 PM
(07-05-2012 05:56 AM)Saga Felix Wrote:  -If anyone wonders - this thread is just over a year old, so now that it is "necro'ed" it can now stand as a perfect example of how much we have all learned about KittyCatS "genetics" over the past year Big Grin

Man have we learned SO MUCH!!!

Heart KittyCatS lover and LazyCats auctioneer. Heart
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2012, 04:10 AM
Hehe! I so remember asking very similar questions at the Nacht's discussions back then. We were all like little detectives trying to figure it all out. I remember how frustrated I got trying to get gerbera out of the daisies when (if I remember right) rainbow prism was still selling for around 30k lolz. Those were fun times though..any... little...thing...and we were sooo excited! Shoot, someone getting a small pupil would be the talk of the day.

It didn't take long though for us all to start putting things together. What I LOVE...is that we chose to SHARE what we learned!!! In the long run, it's that attitude that will keep our community strong.

Hugs,
Noc

Nacht's Landing
ScratchN Shop
07-08-2012, 11:53 AM
(07-08-2012 04:10 AM)Nocshadue Balbozar Wrote:  It didn't take long though for us all to start putting things together. What I LOVE...is that we chose to SHARE what we learned!!! In the long run, it's that attitude that will keep our community strong.

^^^ the fact that we share info with each other and help people understand is one of the things I love the most about our community.

Heart KittyCatS lover and LazyCats auctioneer. Heart
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Wow what an awesome oldtimer thread is this!

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom ยป

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)