Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Suggestion: Show % of traits on grid
12-15-2013, 02:27 PM
RE: Suggestion: Show % of traits on grid
Data's just data. It's not an endorsement of any particular trait and as long as it was clear *what* you're looking at, how you interpret the data is up to you.

I was thinking it would be all lives and boxed. If people are keeping boxes around for whatever reason, it's not a skew of the result because they could be put onto the market if the breeder decided to do so. The only cats no in play are ones in the menagerie.

I'd hesitate to eliminate the starter furs in particular since we have Flame 1, 2, and 3 and it would be interesting to know how many of the older style gens are still around. Who knows, maybe people will decide they want to have a few?

And all I was really thinking was just the trait and then the number of that particular trait were in play. It would be interesting to know, for example, that though Burmese Sables are dominant, there are 10x as many Cream Lynxes out there. What people do with that data would always be up to them, as everything is. Our community developed recessivity charts only tell you what's recessive to what, it doesn't tell you that you have to breed for that.

That said, maybe a count on how many of a certain fur or trait that's been bred would help people understand why their hot new fur isn't worth as much suddenly. If you understand that there are a thousand Foxie Salties to every red tabby, you start to grok better why your 9T Salty isn't selling for 10k anymore (or why it still is...)

[Image: 32190964281_d1fcb86ebb.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Susannah Luminos , anna Acanthus
12-15-2013, 03:59 PM
This is not about popularity as favorites. This is about the actual population and what's being lost to recessiveness jumps and/or overbred. The suggestion came about as a result of questioning which furs/traits might be considered endangered. At various points in time we've seen certain traits all but disappear from the public eye, despite the fact a few breeders have continued to nurture it in private catteries thinking no one cared about that favorite thing of theirs.

If there are traits which are beautiful but underappreciated, this could be a tool for those who seek a niche for their favorite things to point out their rarity value.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Would be easier to put a polling booth in the main store.

And have people write in their favorites.

And post the results on the news page.

Raw data wont tell you the subjective opinions of the community.

I prefer big pupils and normal shades.

Raw data wont tell you if I was trying for those,

or just getting stuck with something.

Just put up a thread in here asking

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE FUR AND EYE COMBO RIGHT NOW?

If you get two thousand responses,

you have info thats just as valuable,

as a bunch of raw data,

or not Wink

[Image: DERKITTEHMILLlogosmallest.jpg]

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nykus/54/231/24/

Soylent Green is KitteH!
12-15-2013, 08:41 PM
no, winter, you're missing the point. draco isn't proposing to know these things to find out what the most popular traits are. theo stated what is meant in the post just before yours. we're talking about data here, not a popularity contest.
 Thanks given by: Draco Nacht , anna Acanthus
12-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Right. I mean, it might be fun to have a "vote for your favorite fur" thing (maybe during election season?) but that would be a different suggestion. This is "How many Russian Blacks are out there?" If they want to add qualifiers of x are live, y in boxes, z perma, that would be super awesome.

[Image: 32190964281_d1fcb86ebb.jpg]
12-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Percentages would be OK. Actual numbers would be a mistake.

Some means of NOT reporting "newer" stuff would be required. At a minimum, undiscovered trait value MUST NOT be listed .. unless they want to list the type and names of the new trait values at the moment they're introduced.

The report could be used to infer dominance.
12-16-2013, 08:02 AM
oh would be nice know how many x cats are outside!!

subscribe!
 Thanks given by: anna Acanthus
12-17-2013, 01:21 AM
(12-15-2013 08:41 PM)Susannah Luminos Wrote:  
no, winter, you're missing the point.
draco isn't proposing to know these things to find out what the most popular traits are.
theo stated what is meant in the post just before yours.
we're talking about data here, not a popularity contest.

Thats what I get for skimming!

I'm actually more interested in the popularity contest!

Enjoy your quests for data mining!

[Image: DERKITTEHMILLlogosmallest.jpg]

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nykus/54/231/24/

Soylent Green is KitteH!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)