Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Question on Ear Traits
09-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Question on Ear Traits
So I'm new to kittycats and just had my first two kittens. I'm a bit confused by the traits Dom/Res part of things. From what I've been reading the idea is for all traits the kitty had two traits one dom, one res and the dom one is the one being shown. So i dont understand how i could have gotten the box that i got.

Dad - ody 1
D-Mom - ody 1
D-Dad - ody 1

Mom - mysterious
M-Mom - pointed soft fold
M- Dad - mysterious

New Box - pointed soft fold

Ok so if my understanding is correct the hidden ears on the mom are pointed soft fold/mysterious......on dad its ody 1 hidden/shown. This is the part that i dont get.
Dom Order: Mysterious - Ody 1 - Pointed Soft Fold
The Dom of the two traits always shows over the recessive so im told, so how do i end up with pointed soft fold over the other two dom traits and does that mean the box holds some other more recessive kitten trait from back in the family line?

On aside note if i work out the ear traits i get 50% chance for ody, 25% chance for mysterious, and 25% chance for pointed soft fold. So logically there was a chance to get any of the ear styles. But everything I see written says Dom ALWAYS shows over recessive,which isnt how genetics usually works in the real world.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2013, 07:38 PM
RE: Question on Ear Traits
(09-25-2013 04:41 PM)anka Mynx Wrote:  So I'm new to kittycats and just had my first two kittens. I'm a bit confused by the traits Dom/Res part of things. From what I've been reading the idea is for all traits the kitty had two traits one dom, one res and the dom one is the one being shown. So i dont understand how i could have gotten the box that i got.

Dad - ody 1
D-Mom - ody 1
D-Dad - ody 1

Mom - mysterious
M-Mom - pointed soft fold
M- Dad - mysterious

New Box - pointed soft fold

Ok so if my understanding is correct the hidden ears on the mom are pointed soft fold/mysterious......on dad its ody 1 hidden/shown. This is the part that i dont get.
Dom Order: Mysterious - Ody 1 - Pointed Soft Fold
The Dom of the two traits always shows over the recessive so im told, so how do i end up with pointed soft fold over the other two dom traits and does that mean the box holds some other more recessive kitten trait from back in the family line?

On aside note if i work out the ear traits i get 50% chance for ody, 25% chance for mysterious, and 25% chance for pointed soft fold. So logically there was a chance to get any of the ear styles. But everything I see written says Dom ALWAYS shows over recessive,which isnt how genetics usually works in the real world.

Even though dad's parents both show Ody1, they both hide Ody1 or better, which can also be passed to their OS (the dad). His Ody1 obviously hides PSF or better and he tossed his hidden to the box. You may be able to look further back than dad's parents to see if there's something visible there to help you potentially ID it.

more than likely, your cats hiddens are as follows:
Dad = ODY1 (PSF+)
Mom = Myst (PSF)

on average, 50% of the boxes will show Myst and they'll hide either Ody1 or the PSF+, each equally likely. 25% will show Ody1 and hide PSF. The other 25% will show PSF and hide the PSF+, whatever it is.

Hope that helps!

Kitty Kollege Pawfessor, Kitty Kottage
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Is.../69/224/22
09-26-2013, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2013 07:24 PM by Serena Stroikavskoi.)
Just remember that a kitty hides equal to or more recessive and sometimes the recessive can go as hiddens for generations. Example in point, I recently got a twinkle surprices. Smile

Surprise !!!!!

The Surprise Twinkle

Parents (1 generation back)

Grandparents (2 generations back)

Great Grandparents (3 generations back)

Great Great Grandparents (4 generations back)

At one point I did get porcelain it was what I was wanting to hide and pull because I was breeding for that shade, but as you can see I got porcelain probably because the other (sibling) offspring didn't hide porcelain it hid twinkle so that was passed down.

The pedigree forks to another side but I showed this side because I can go back to twinkle and the other side I can go back to porcelain. So it's entirely possible both sides passed it as a hidden at one point or another.

"You're just jealous because the kitties only talk to me."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2013, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 12:12 PM by anna Acanthus.)
(09-25-2013 04:41 PM)anka Mynx Wrote:  ...But everything I see written says Dom ALWAYS shows over recessive,which isnt how genetics usually works in the real world.

Depending on how information is worded and also the lecture things can easily become confusing. There is a terrific amount of info on breeding which can make it seem more complicated than it really is, but in fact it all boils down to a few basic rules, all the rest is fine tuning which you can either work out for yourself once you've grabbed these basics, or if you haven't already been in contact with Liri i'd say get along to her classes and she'll drum it into you whicheverwhatway Big Grin

In fact for any given trait, a newborn can ONLY be hiding either the same, or a more recessive.
This doesn't mean that when breeding with another more or less dominant that the more dominant will show ( i.e. : if we take a look at Serena's first attachment we'll see that Wild Tiger pulled PSF so we know without a doubt that mom is hiding the PSF behind the rounded as Tiger is the more recessive to both rounded and PSF ) Two hidden recessives can pull each other but again when this happens, the hidden will still be either the same or a more recessive.

The second hard rule to remember is that a trait can NEVER be hiding more dominant than itself.

As for real world genetics i think KCR based this breedable's genetics as closely as was humanly possible on the Mendelian system.

Hope this doesn't confuse you even more lol and happy breeding Smile
09-27-2013, 07:06 AM
"isnt how genetics usually works" is, technically, correct. But that should NOT be taken to mean "isnt how genetics works".

The important qualifier there is "usually". Usually, real-world genetics uses a far more complex system where each of the two alleles contribute to the result, and where several loci contribute to the expressed results.

That does not mean you don't see simple Mendelian genetics. Obviously you do, or Mendel would not have seen it to begin with.

KittyCatS uses the EASIEST model of real-world genetics; both for them to implement and for you, the players, to understand.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)