Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Petition against kill shelters, please help!
11-27-2016, 01:25 PM
RE: Petition against kill shelters, please help!
As long as people don't stop breeding irresponsibly, there will always be a glut of pets (and especially cats as they breed more rapidly than dogs) on the market, which inevitably leads to cats and dogs being put down in shelters because there's simply no place to house them all, and not enough people to adopt them, even were they to not have to charge a cent for it (and adoption fees are already not enough to cover expenses for most shelters).

Of course that doesn't cover situations like China where cats and dogs are bred for food. Personally I don't care about that. While I'd not eat a cat or dog unless it were a last resort (eat that or starve myself kinda situation) I can't blame other cultures for having different attitudes. After all, we eat cows which in India are sacred and Indians are disgusted at us eating them so should we stop doing that too?
Ditto with pigs, Jews and Muslims don't want those eaten (though for other reasons, not because they're cute or holy).

Best you can do is not to protest the shelters that are forced to put down cats and dogs, but to try to change the mindset of the humans that cause the problem that those shelters try to solve by their actions: the unlimited and unbounded breeding of cats and dogs (and to a degree other animals as well, shelter here is sitting on dozens of rabbits they've not been able to find homes for for months now for example).
Spay and neuter, and build understanding of WHY people should do that. Support programs to have subsidised (or even free) spaying of pets for low income people, who're more likely than others to let their pets breed and then dump the mother with her offspring out on the street somewhere, turning them into society's problems to take care of.
It's a long, uphill battle, and until it's won (or at least close to) there will always be more pets coming into shelters than the shelters can humanely house, care for, and find homes for, leaving them with no option but to put down the excess.
And yes, that means in countries that on paper ban the practice too. Except there it can't be done openly, vets and shelter staff have to find other ways. An outbreak of disease leaving animals terminally ill and putting them down "to limit suffering" for example.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Petition against kill shelters, please help! - jwenting Resident - 11-27-2016 01:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)