Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Verdant recessiveness?
08-11-2016, 01:39 PM
RE: Verdant recessiveness?
Well.. my pair was a fail -- just gave me Onyx eye, so I've picked them up and ended that test.
I'll leave this eye placement to the rest who have boxes unpacked and pairs already set up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ivy Norsk , Kayla Woodrunner
08-27-2016, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2016 08:43 PM by Deidra Loring.)
Photo RE: Verdant recessiveness?
Nothing proven here. The OS passed her shown eye. I doubt very much the eye is pure, so I'll try again with him.

[Image: dc48f648e1ab248341ac8363857bf0b4.png][/img]
 Thanks given by: Kayla Woodrunner
09-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Update:

I don't have a visual because I'm writing from work. But using the same pair shown in my last post, above, Licorice Gal to Test and OS Jay, Licorice Gal threw her hidden eye. Sadly this was her last kitten and she has now aged out. We won't say SHE failed - she is way too sweet for that! - but the test did not give us the hoped-for result so we'll see what Jay does for us next week.
 Thanks given by: HappyDaize Resident , Ivy Norsk , Kayla Woodrunner
09-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Awww, she deserves a vacation! She's been working hard.

Ok, you said Licorice Gal threw her hidden eye so did Licorice Gal Onyx shown and Jay OS Light Wash shown have a baby with Dry Olive shown or something like that? Because if it shows Licorice hidden eye, then it would be recessive to Verdant which would mean Jay OS did not get Verdant but rather the same as or more recessive than Licorice's hidden eye. So I'm just curious what was the shown eye of the new baby.

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." Terry Pratchett
Der Kitty Mill
Latest Born Kitty:
[Image: Kayla_Woodrunner]
09-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Hello -

Yes it was Dry Olive, sorry, I forgot to mention what we DID get!

Abyssinian - Dark Chocolate
Eyes: Dry Olive (Mysterious|Big)
Shade: Glitter
Tail: Curious
Ears: Mysterious
Whiskers: Silver (Dreamy)
Size: Petite

OK, so this means I should move on to the next Verdant vs. Light Wash Offspring for testing? I don't quite understand how this shows Jay doesn't have Verdant hidden, though.
09-07-2016, 03:09 PM
For fun, I am going to do this like a science equation.

Fact: The baby has Dry Olive showing.

Principle A. Kittybabies get one eye from the mom and one eye from the dad.
1 +1 = 2.

Principle B. The most dominant one always shows.

Fact: Mom shows Onyx. Dad shows Light Wash. Both eyes are more dominant to Dry Olive so neither Mom or Dad threw their shown. Therefore they had to both throw their hiddens.

Therefore, based on the basic principles of breedings, both Mom and Dad hid Dry Olive or more recessive eyes because Dry Olive shows. So Jay's Verdant Mom has Dry Olive or more recessive hid and passed her hidden.

If Jay had had Verdant hidden, when he passed his hidden against the Mom's shown Onyx or MOm's hidden Dry Olive or more recessive, the Verdant would have shown on this kitty. Because Jay hides Dry Olive or more recessive, you just found out on this kitten. Still Dry Olive looks nice on the Dark Choco Abby and you got a petite so that's a nice kitty. So yep, time to make a new kittenif you want to try again.

That's why in dominance testing, we always prove the hid because you never know. Sometimes hiddens can pass for generations.

I have a LightWash/Verdant kitten at 5 days. My first LightWash/Verdant kitty had Strawberry Bellini hid so it failed too. I don't know why this one is such a toughie!

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." Terry Pratchett
Der Kitty Mill
Latest Born Kitty:
 Thanks given by: Ivy Norsk , Deidra Loring
10-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Since we still don't seem to have a solid proof on this, I dug into my cattery and pulled out that last Light Wash x Verdant test kitten box I had tucked away.

He's unpacked, along with an appropriate mate. Light Wash eye is his shown. Keeping paws crossed.
10-30-2016, 11:28 PM
Go for it! I've had 4 of my pairings turn out to have the wrong hid. The last 2 proved wrong hid this month. Hope you have better luck!

Der Kitty Mill
Latest Born Kitty:
10-31-2016, 02:12 AM
(10-30-2016 08:38 PM)HappyDaize Resident Wrote:  Since we still don't seem to have a solid proof on this, I dug into my cattery and pulled out that last Light Wash x Verdant test kitten box I had tucked away.

He's unpacked, along with an appropriate mate. Light Wash eye is his shown. Keeping paws crossed.

I have some boxes that might be pure verdant. Both parents had it but Mum at least wasn't pure Dad possibly was, if yours fails I'll pop one and a light wash, will still have to pull the hidden out but if I do happen across a pure one theres a better chance at it passing. Trick is picking a box where Mum passed it instead of her hidden. eeny, meany, miny, mo. Lol. I'll have a root around and get a pair out on standby.

Forum Based Charts

KittyCats Discoveries & Retirements
 Thanks given by: Kayla Woodrunner , HappyDaize Resident
10-31-2016, 11:34 AM
That wold be wonderful, Arwen!

I also have this gal, that I may pull out later if needed.
Her pedigree leans towards her very possibly being doubled on Verdant eye color, though she could hide some other recessive.

[Image: 0ONpjle.jpg]

Sometimes these final placements are amazingly stubborn to nail down.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)