KittyCatS! Community Forum
purebred question - Printable Version

+- KittyCatS! Community Forum (https://kittycats.ws/forum)
+-- Forum: KittyCatS Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Breeding (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: purebred question (/showthread.php?tid=9021)

purebred question - DawnIsabella Heartsong - 05-07-2013 08:20 AM

I am sorry if this was asked before but i hear the word pure thrown around alot in all trypes of breedables. in kitty cats is there a "pure" and if so being that many of us bought cats from others and dont nessisarly know the whole line of the kitties when is a can considered pure? for example
if moms mom is a foxie and moms dad is a siamese dads parents are both foxie
mom and dad are both foxie
baby is a foxie then would babys offspring be pure foxie if bred to another foxie with the same type of gp-p-b liniage?Huh

RE: purebred question - Liriel Garnet - 05-07-2013 12:42 PM

(05-07-2013 08:20 AM)AugustMoorlord Resident Wrote:  I am sorry if this was asked before but i hear the word pure thrown around alot in all trypes of breedables. in kitty cats is there a "pure" and if so being that many of us bought cats from others and dont nessisarly know the whole line of the kitties when is a can considered pure? for example
if moms mom is a foxie and moms dad is a siamese dads parents are both foxie
mom and dad are both foxie
baby is a foxie then would babys offspring be pure foxie if bred to another foxie with the same type of gp-p-b liniage?Huh

I can tell you how *I* define "pure" .. a pure trait is one with the same trait showing and hiding. It's actually hard to guarantee something is pure unless you know exactly what the parents show/hide and you get the most recessive possibility out.

As an example: Mom is Russ Black hiding Bali Seal ... Dad is Russ White hiding Bali Seal ... if i breed them and the baby has Bali Seal, it's pure. Bali Seal hiding and showing.

RE: purebred question - Angelfa Watkins - 05-07-2013 12:45 PM

If you know both parents hide the same trait(from breeding them with other cats) and they have a baby that shows this trait, then it is pure, because it shows and hides the same trait.

RE: purebred question - Tad Carlucci - 05-07-2013 06:00 PM

The easiest way to get a pure is through a series of breed-backs.

The problem is some people persist in thinking that generations of ancestors showing the same trait as their offspring will do it. They WON'T. At best, this only makes is likely .. but no matter how many generations you breed down, there is always a chance of an unknown, hidden trait.

Frankly, I don't get the emphasis for "pure". Yes, it can help putting traits together. But the same process you'd use with "pure" parents will work equally well with "impure" parents.