KittyCatS! Community Forum
To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - Printable Version

+- KittyCatS! Community Forum (https://kittycats.ws/forum)
+-- Forum: KittyCatS Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Cat Chat - General Discussions about KittyCatS (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: To Permapet or not to Perma pet. (/showthread.php?tid=1145)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - Stormrunner Laval - 06-07-2011 09:24 PM

Don't get me wrong I want to keep my cats as long as I possibly can. But I wonder if this is worth it.

I only breed casually (I have two breeders and that may change after the next kitten - their second) but otherwise I keep pets.

Now, going by pet food cost I can keep one pet cat fed for 20 months for 1,600L. That is almost 2 years.

The permapet is either 1800 or 1500 depending on if you perma them before 120 days or after.

The sale was nice (I missed it as I didn't get my monthly check until after the fact), but at the current cost I'm more willing to pay for food then a permapet kit for each cat.

Now, if the kits permapet say 3-5 cats it might be worth it.

This may not be a popular opinion but I want to know what all of you think.

RE: To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - GypsyKitten - 06-08-2011 04:44 AM

I think that giving the kits 3-5 charges would be awesome. I managed to get two of the sale bottles, which I'm saving until my kitties are old enough, but it seems weird that the kits are so expensive. Especially the 120 kits because we have kept a cat for it's entire breeding life (and likely made more cats that we're feeding).

I guess the logic was that similar nonbreeding cats sometimes cost that much, but I think we've paid a lot towards this already, especially for people with 120 day old cats.

I don't know about other people, but I don't make money with the kitties. I just use my sales to help support my kitty habit. Wink I'm still spending money. It's kind of a shame that we can't realistically keep more kitties as permapets, kind of as a record of our love for the kitties. If it were, say 300-500L to permapet a kitty, I could keep all of my favorites, instead of the two that I'm planning to keep (which have been on pet food forever anyway). Right now, I'm just going to permapet my limited edition cats, but I wish I could keep my breeders too.

RE: To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - Kimberly Warwillow - 06-08-2011 07:35 PM

This was brought up in a popular, neutral breedables blog, which I commented on. I think a kitty that we have fed for four months, that can't really do anything any longer except eat and be cute....but can't breed, should NOT cost so much to permapet. I, personally, think the regular permapet option is quite expensive, but its more understandable, but for a cat that can't breed, and has already been fed for four months.....

RE: To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - Liv Zerundi - 06-09-2011 02:04 AM

In my understanding the prices were chosen in comparison to other pet cats on the market. I don't think the permapet was ever meant to apply on 5 or more cats per owner, but more for those who just wanted a pet kitty.
Compared to other pet cats that are out there, it's not that expensive imo.

RE: To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - GypsyKitten - 06-09-2011 09:22 AM

I agree that it is comparable for those who buy a kitten but have no intention of breeding. However, there are two distinct markets for perma-pets, and the current pricing doesn't really work for breeders. We have many cats and I think a lot of us do not want to menagerie the ones that have become close to us. We have many special kitties and, when the kitty is 120 days old and has been fed for all of that time, it doesn't really make sense to put us in the same group with people who just want a pet cat and could perma-pet one at age 7. We have paid for the cat's food, birthed its babies, fed those babies and supported KittyCats in a different way.

This isn't meant to be against non-breeders, but I do think that the markets are very different and that the 120 day perma-pet option is really supposed to be aimed at breeders. Its pricing should reflect that, if simply because breeders will likely be perma-petting many more kitties. We, who have gotten our kitties to 120 days, have had much more time to get attached to them and I think that that emotional attachment is what really helps KittyCats as a whole. Or any breedable that people really relate to.

And to make the math simpler:

3000 L$ : 2 permapets (all I can really justify at this price) and I have to menagerie kitties that I love

3000 L$ : 10 breeder kitties at 120 days if they costed 300L to permapet

With the second option, KittyCats gets the same amount of money. Actually, over time, they'd probably get more because it's easier to justify 300L than 1500. In exchange, the customer is happier and these non-breeding pets don't affect the market at all. We could afford to keep lots of kitties as a record of our breeding life and can show off kitties (free advertising), and I think it would be hard to justify menagerieing ANY kitty that we've kept to 120 days at that price.

Oh, it's only 300L so the kitty doesn't DIE. Wink

In the long run, I think it'd make more financial sense because it would get breeders, notorious collectors that we are, into the habit of spending that last 300L or whatever on the kitty rather than losing it forever.

RE: To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - Stormrunner Laval - 06-09-2011 05:58 PM

I am more then willing to wait 120 days to permapet my pets hence why I thought 900 sale was good. Buying food to support doesn't bother me. Its fact I can keep my cat almost 2 years on a bit less then the cost of the permapet (by 200L) that gets me the non 120 day one. That price is a bit over (100L) the 120 day one. That is 10 breed months and 20 pet months pet food cost btw.

In the end since its unknown when something may happen to make me leave SL the food option doesn't bother me. I have an auto feeder so if it will keep my cat(s) happy for that long I can buy food in another year and 8 months.

RE: To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - Liv Zerundi - 06-11-2011 04:25 AM

(06-09-2011 09:22 AM)GypsyKitten Wrote:  And to make the math simpler:

3000 L$ : 2 permapets (all I can really justify at this price) and I have to menagerie kitties that I love

3000 L$ : 10 breeder kitties at 120 days if they costed 300L to permapet

With the second option, KittyCats gets the same amount of money. Actually, over time, they'd probably get more because it's easier to justify 300L than 1500. In exchange, the customer is happier and these non-breeding pets don't affect the market at all. We could afford to keep lots of kitties as a record of our breeding life and can show off kitties (free advertising), and I think it would be hard to justify menagerieing ANY kitty that we've kept to 120 days at that price.

Oh, it's only 300L so the kitty doesn't DIE. Wink

In the long run, I think it'd make more financial sense because it would get breeders, notorious collectors that we are, into the habit of spending that last 300L or whatever on the kitty rather than losing it forever.

I understand your point. But I have to say that most breeders sell their kitties offspring as well. If you're gonna do math, also take into consideration the lindens one can make by breeding.
Two kitties cost L$320 a month to feed. They make 4 boxes a month. So if you sell each offspring for L$80, you already have your food out Smile.

RE: To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - Yuukie Onmura - 06-13-2011 02:09 AM

Some of my cats are halfway to 120 days... I would definitely go perma on them if it was cheaper. but 1500L after already having paid almost a thousand in food (on breeder level)... financially that means another 240 days before perm'ing becomes cheaper than feeding.
(06-11-2011 04:25 AM)Liv Zerundi Wrote:  Two kitties cost L$320 a month to feed. They make 4 boxes a month. So if you sell each offspring for L$80, you already have your food out Smile.

They only "produce" that fast if you spend one hour every day cuddling them, or feed them milk in which case the running costs climb to 620L$/month and the selling price per kitten to 155L$. and that's assuming that you actually do sell every single kitten for that much or more.

RE: To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - Kitten Longmeadow - 06-13-2011 04:56 PM

Hi guys. I just wanted to pop in and let you know that we are reading the suggestions in this thread and we'll definitely take them into consideration. Thanks for taking time to let us hear your thoughts! Smile

RE: To Permapet or not to Perma pet. - Kimmy Demina - 06-18-2011 03:49 AM

I agree with you totally. I have about 11 cats now. I purchased 2 who were already 120 days old, they are the valentines kitties. I purchased two permapets during the sale, and made them permapets. I totally agree with everything that is said here. I have been feeding all of my cats for a long time, and have been shoveling money towards the food. The $1,500L for the permapet is a bit daunting when you are talking about 11 kitties. I know a lot has more. I will agree with the $L1,800L price tag on the permapets for kitties under the age of 120 years old, however, for those cats who are 120 days old or older, I think we have kind of paid into the system, and should be given more of a break then $L300.

Honestly, I know for me, even after I permapet all my kitties if I choose to, chances are good, I'll probably get another kittycat somewhere down the line, and continue to buy food. Plus, everyone knows, the money will always be rolling in as people will want the newer traits, etc...